What is wrong with America

What is wrong with America

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
29 Apr 16

It's fairly easy to see exactly what is wrong with America when an admitted child molester is sentenced to 15 months on a single charge of evading bank currency reporting requirements, and not even charged with felony child abuse because the statute of limitations on that crime has run out (A), and yet a 76-year-old disabled army veteran was handed a sentence of life in prison without parole for growing marijuana in his back yard to alleviate his own health problems (B).

A:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/editorials/ct-dennis-hastert-child-molester-prison-edit-0428-20160427-story.html

B:
http://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/apr/15/lee-carroll-brooker-alabama-marijuana-sentence

Cape Town

Moves
29 Apr 16
1 edit

So do you disagree with the statute of limitations?

I agree that US drug laws are ridiculous.

Moves
29 Apr 16

Originally posted by Suzianne
It's fairly easy to see exactly what is wrong with America when an admitted child molester is sentenced to 15 months on a single charge of evading bank currency reporting requirements, and not even charged with felony child abuse because the statute of limitations on that crime has run out (A), and yet a 76-year-old disabled army veteran was handed a senten ...[text shortened]... :
http://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/apr/15/lee-carroll-brooker-alabama-marijuana-sentence
I would argue that those are symptoms and not the disease.

The disease is all too common... A total lack of evidence based policy making.

America is far from alone in having this problem, but like everything else you like to do it bigger. 😉

F

Cobra Command HQ

Moves
29 Apr 16

Yes all other countries have no problems or disparities in their justice system.
Just America.

w

Moves
29 Apr 16
1 edit

It's fairly easy to see exactly what is wrong with America when an admitted child molester is sentenced to 15 months on a single charge of evading bank currency reporting requirements, and not even charged with felony child abuse because the statute of limitations on that crime has run out (A), and yet a 76-year-old disabled army veteran was handed a senten ...[text shortened]... :
Now, now, the rules are the rules Suzy.

Unless you live in Washington, then even the rules don't apply

God just can't make hell hot enough

K

Germany

Moves
29 Apr 16

Originally posted by FishHead111
Yes all other countries have no problems or disparities in their justice system.
Just America.
And therefore nothing should be done to fix issues with the justice system in America.

w

Moves
29 Apr 16

Originally posted by KazetNagorra
And therefore nothing should be done to fix issues with the justice system in America.
Sure, elect Hillary. She will put things right. 😵

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
29 Apr 16
1 edit

Originally posted by twhitehead
So do you disagree with the statute of limitations?

I agree that US drug laws are ridiculous.
Yes, I do, for the crimes involving abuse of children. These children are scarred for life, and there is not a single aspect of the rest of their lives that is not tainted by the abuse they suffered as children. These children had no choice whether they were abused or not, and people like Dennis Hastert take advantage of their vulnerability. There is no SoL on murder, and what these users do is murder these children's chances at a normal adult life. They should be put in prison to pay for their heinous crimes regardless of when the facts come to light. But the way it is now, once the rather short SoL runs out, they are free to enjoy the rest of their lives in freedom after ruining these children's lives. This is just not right.

And mandatory sentences for drug possession, especially marijuana, need to be revisited and revised. The Supreme Court this week refused to consider this man's case, which was extremely over the line for such a victimless crime. Compare this to people like Dennis Hastert remaining free even after ruining the lives of children.

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
29 Apr 16

I agree with your position on B. The sentence Hastert got for the crime he was tried for was probably incorrect as the judge was increasing the time served for a crime he wasn't being tried for, but only accused of. What is ludicrous is that he cannot be charged with the more serious offence of child molestation. Statutes of limitation are reasonable for many offences - for example a 40 year old should not be charged with petty drugs offences committed in their reckless youth. Paedophilia does not come into this category. I'm normally against retrospective legislation, however I can see no reason not to make the removal of the limitation retrospective for child abusers.

n

The Catbird's Seat

Moves
29 Apr 16

Originally posted by KazetNagorra
These shortcomings are discussed ad naseum. The problem, in most cases, is that fixing one problem creates others. Perfection is a slippery goal.

n

The Catbird's Seat

Moves
29 Apr 16

Originally posted by DeepThought
I agree with your position on B. The sentence Hastert got for the crime he was tried for was probably incorrect as the judge was increasing the time served for a crime he wasn't being tried for, but only accused of. What is ludicrous is that he cannot be charged with the more serious offence of child molestation. Statutes of limitation are reas ...[text shortened]... r I can see no reason not to make the removal of the limitation retrospective for child abusers.
The law can be changed without making it retrospective.

The problem with charging pedophilia years down the road, and sometimes other crimes is that memories of witnesses tend to be both dulled and enhanced at the same time.

The issue of childhood "memories" being created is well known.

Guppy poo

Sewers of Holland

Moves
30 Apr 16

Originally posted by FishHead111
Just America.
The threads not about other countries though, is it?

Maybe you should start one. Do you know any other countries?

b
Enigma

Seattle

Moves
30 Apr 16
1 edit

Rich man's justice. It's a well known commodity in America. It's amazing to me that so many turn a blind eye to it. If it were up to me I'd give the Vet all the pot he wants, and send Hastert to everlasting, burning hell for what he did to those boys, the judge in this case wanted to as well, but the statute of limitations had run out on much of Hastert's evil deeds.

I still think America has one of the better justice systems in the world, but it clearly could be improved. .

E

Moves
30 Apr 16

We definitely have a problem with the untouchables in this country. The ruling elite need to be held accountable, both Republican and Democrat. Hilary needs to be in jail as well, but she won't even see a single day in prison.

F

Cobra Command HQ

Moves
30 Apr 16

Originally posted by shavixmir
The threads not about other countries though, is it?

Maybe you should start one. Do you know any other countries?
I know compared to most other countries America is a chit load better place to live.