Was the USA Founded by Traitors?

Was the USA Founded by Traitors?

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

silicon valley

Moves
27 Sep 10

Originally posted by sh76
Margaret Thatcher?
(whodey bumps the table)

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
27 Sep 10

Originally posted by KazetNagorra
But... but... World War Two! And... if it wasn't for us you'd all be speaking German and/or Russian!
Living in the days of glory is what retired superpowers like Great Britain and Russia do.

Iraq has freedom! It's like being saved by Jesus!

g

Pepperland

Moves
27 Sep 10

Originally posted by sh76
Losers are traitors.

Winners are idealistic heroes who helped bring about the fantastic new order.

So, obviously, Washington was not a traitor.

If he'd lost, THEN he'd have been a traitor.
words of wisdom.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
27 Sep 10

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
What do you think?
Read this and tell me.

'Theme of the Traitor and the Hero' (JL Borges)
http://allaboutjeff.wordpress.com/2009/04/26/theme-of-the-traitor-and-the-hero-by-jorge-luis-borges/

silicon valley

Moves
27 Sep 10

Originally posted by zeeblebot
(whodey bumps the table)
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3196/2839006331_a41f2974b6.jpg

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
27 Sep 10

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
Read this and tell me.

'Theme of the Traitor and the Hero' (JL Borges)
http://allaboutjeff.wordpress.com/2009/04/26/theme-of-the-traitor-and-the-hero-by-jorge-luis-borges/
Wow. That was a trippy read...almost as trippy as "All You Zombies".

Of course, as was mentioned earlier, it's the same old "one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter" kinda thing.

But it's worth rehashing.

p

Moves
27 Sep 10

Originally posted by KazetNagorra
But... but... World War Two! And... if it wasn't for us you'd all be speaking German and/or Russian!
And you would be too !!

n
Ronin

Hereford Boathouse

Moves
28 Sep 10

Originally posted by FMF
I am, however, not so sure about the degree to which the colonial Americans were subject to "tyranny". It was certainly nothing compared to the kinds of "tyranny" that the Americans helped to visit upon whole nations around the world, for decades down through history, by way of puppets and proxies, in many cases dishing out brutality and injustice in a way large ...[text shortened]... from Communist tyrants, all for its own economic interests and regardless of its human toll.
I can understand how "tyranny" towards members of an Empire's Aristocracy can seem ridiculous.

However, blaming the United States for being a funding/supporting source of brutality and injustice is misdiagnosing the illness.

Weakness of government, which in good times can survive, causes untold suffering in bad times. Do you blame the US for supporting an anti-communist regime during the cold war? Do you blame the Dutch, French, English, Germans, Italians for invading and colonizing? Do you blame failed monarchs who did not strengthen their kingdoms.

Countries not strong enough for self determination, will always be subject to will of other nations, by direct control, or by proxy. This is true in all aspects of life- economic, social etc.

Blade Runner

Republicants

Moves
30 Sep 10

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
Iraq has freedom! It's like being saved by Jesus!
...oh he sure did weep!