volcanos and earthquakes caused by global warming

volcanos and earthquakes caused by global warming

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

w

Moves
18 Apr 10

Originally posted by FMF
It's a scientific theory. What is your scientific refutation?
God is behind it. What is your scientific refutation of that?

F

Moves
18 Apr 10

Originally posted by whodey
God is behind it. What is your scientific refutation of that?
"God is behind it" is not a scientific theory.

F

Moves
18 Apr 10

You started this thread. And yet you seem unable/unwilling to debate it, almost bizarrely so. Your own thread!

w

Moves
18 Apr 10

Originally posted by FMF
"God is behind it" is not a scientific theory.
It is now. The way I see it time is nothing more than a property of the material universe. Time measures the beginning of the material universe to present. To date, science etimeates the Big Bang happened about 15 billion years ago as the material universe was birthed. So from wince did it come? After all, we know when it began, or I should say, we know from what we observe it to have begun. So from whence did it come? I think God is a plausable theory. It is the immaterial giving birth to the material universe.

F

Moves
18 Apr 10

It is now. The way I see it time is nothing more than a property of the material universe. Time measures the beginning of the material universe to present. To date, science etimeates the Big Bang happened about 15 billion years ago as the material universe was birthed. So from wince did it come? After all, we know when it began, or I should say, we know ...[text shortened]... I think God is a plausable theory. It is the immaterial giving birth to the material universe.
So your response to the scientific paper in Nature is that God took away Greenland's ice without realising that it could have geological consequences? Or He DID realise? Which?

w

Moves
18 Apr 10

Originally posted by FMF
So your response to the scientific paper in Nature is that God took away Greenland's ice without realising that it could have geological consequences? Or He DID realise? Which?
I don't recall the paper saying that it was proven that ice taken away from the region was the cause of the erruption. Perhaps I missed that scientific proof in the article.

Perhaps we can look back at our historical records. Lets say we look back at Midieval Times when global temperatures were warmer than they are today back in the 9th and 14th centuries and see how many volcanos were errupting during that time.

http://www.telagraph.co.UK/news/UKnews/1426744/Middle-Ages-were-warmer-than-today-say-scientists.html

F

Moves
18 Apr 10

Lets say we look back at Midieval Times when global temperatures were warmer than they are today back in the 9th and 14th centuries and see how many volcanos were errupting during that time.
How many were erupting?

w

Moves
18 Apr 10

Originally posted by FMF
How many were erupting?
I don't recall ever reading about any major eruptions during that time, have you? Go figure.

It was only until they imposed cap and trade that the global temperatures became cooler and everything returned to "normal". So in that regard I figure is worth a shot.

B

Moves
18 Apr 10

I don't recall the paper saying that it was proven that ice taken away from the region was the cause of the erruption. Perhaps I missed that scientific proof in the article.

Perhaps we can look back at our historical records. Lets say we look back at Midieval Times when global temperatures were warmer than they are today back in the 9th and 14th centurie ...[text shortened]... /www.telagraph.co.UK/news/UKnews/1426744/Middle-Ages-were-warmer-than-today-say-scientists.html
Did you not even read the article you posted?

McGuire conducted a study that was published in the journal Nature in 1997 that looked at the connection between the change in the rate of sea level rise and volcanic activity in the Mediterranean for the past 80,000 years and found that when sea level rose quickly, more volcanic eruptions occurred, increasing by a whopping 300 percent.

http://www.livescience.com/environment/070830_gw_quakes.html

F

Moves
18 Apr 10

I don't recall ever reading about any major eruptions during that time, have you?
Seismic and volcanic activity have been ongoing throughout Earth history. So what you "recall" and "don't recall" is a kind of scientific evidence is it? What is your scientific refutation of the article in the OP? You called it "just a joke". You must have a reason for saying so. Why don't you just lay it out in the interests of debate. Do you dispute the Greenland ice thing? What exactly is it you dispute?

w

Moves
18 Apr 10
1 edit

Originally posted by Beyer
Did you not even read the article you posted?

McGuire conducted a study that was published in the journal Nature in 1997 that looked at the connection between the change in the rate of sea level rise and volcanic activity in the Mediterranean for the past 80,000 years and found that when sea level rose quickly, more volcanic eruptions occurred, increasing by a whopping 300 percent.

http://www.livescience.com/environment/070830_gw_quakes.html
Volcanic activity in the Mediterranean? But I thought that the removal of ice caps were the cause of volcanic activity? Where are their glaciers in the Mediterranean? The rising sea levels should spark earthquakes, not volcanos in the Mediterranean or am I missing something here?

F

Moves
18 Apr 10

or am I missing something here?
yep. a go-to-blog so u can cut & paste something good, clearly.

B

Moves
18 Apr 10

Volcanic activity in the Mediterranean? But I thought that the removal of ice caps were the cause of volcanic activity? Where are their glaciers in the Mediterranean? The rising sea levels should spark earthquakes, not volcanos in the Mediterranean or am I missing something here?
You asked if there was a correlation between warm weather and volcanoes and I pointed to the article. It says:

Correlation between rate of sea-level change and frequency of explosive volcanism in the Mediterranean

How do you increase the sea level? The article on LiveScience mentions thermal expansion and ice melt. Do you know of any other way to increase the sea level?

"It's not just the volcanoes. Obviously if you load and unload active faults, then you're liable to trigger earthquakes," McGuire told LiveScience, noting that there is ample evidence for this association in past climate change events.

w

Moves
19 Apr 10

Originally posted by Beyer
You asked if there was a correlation between warm weather and volcanoes and I pointed to the article. It says:

Correlation between rate of sea-level change and frequency of explosive volcanism in the Mediterranean

How do you increase the sea level? The article on LiveScience mentions thermal expansion and ice melt. Do you know of any other way to increas ...[text shortened]... nce, noting that there is ample evidence for this association in past climate change events.
You are not understanding what I am saying. In the article they make the claim that global warming is causing volcanos becuase of the reduced glacier sheets over the volcanic craters. The theory is that with decreased pressure over the creaters you have an increased chance of the pressure under the glaciers to prodcue volcanic activity. So where are the glaciers in the Mediterranean that have receeded that have produced such volcanos in that region? It then goes on to say that the increased water in the oceans puts increased pressure on the fault lines within the oceans producing earthquakes. So the article should point to increased earthquakes, not increased volcanic activity in the Mediterranian.

silicon valley

Moves
19 Apr 10

You are not understanding what I am saying. In the article they make the claim that global warming is causing volcanos becuase of the reduced glacier sheets over the volcanic craters. The theory is that with decreased pressure over the creaters you have an increased chance of the pressure under the glaciers to prodcue volcanic activity. So where are the gl ...[text shortened]... cle should point to increased earthquakes, not increased volcanic activity in the Mediterranian.
maybe the volcanoes in the Mediterranean EXPECT more pressure due to sea ice, and, not finding it, pop off more often. like a placebo effect. it's all in the mind.