Uk secret courts

Uk secret courts

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Radio Gnome

Planet Gong

Moves
25 Oct 12

http://www.guardian.co.uk/law/2012/sep/25/secret-courts-the-essential-guide

This seems absurd in a democratic state. How can this be reconciled with the right to a fair trial?

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
25 Oct 12

Originally posted by mbakunin

This seems absurd in a democratic state. How can this be reconciled with the right to a fair trial?
It cannot be reconciled. The problem is that western democracies who are at war with terrorist organisations such as Al Quaida send suspects of terrorist acts to their courts instead of regarding them as prisoners of war and treat them as such under the Geneva Convention.

k
Flexible

The wrong side of 60

Moves
25 Oct 12

Originally posted by ivanhoe
It cannot be reconciled. The problem is that western democracies who are at war with terrorist organisations such as Al Quaida send suspects of terrorist acts to their courts instead of regarding them as prisoners of war and treat them as such under the Geneva Convention.
The problem with the Prisoer of war solution is that suspected combatants will be judged by a military court and will not get released until the end of the war, this could result in prisoners spending the rest of their lives in prison, or conversely, potential recruits for the groups effected might think they will be out relatively quickly due to an optimistic view of their sides ability to win the war.

By their nature terrorists are problematic for conventional forces and their judicial systems.

Cape Town

Moves
26 Oct 12

It is absurd and cannot be reconciled. But then the UK is not a particularly democratic state is it? You need a lot more than elections for democracy.

DJ

Moves
26 Oct 12

Why does Bakunin not like Earl Grey?

DJ

Moves
26 Oct 12

Because proper tea is theft.

Baboom!

Guppy poo

Sewers of Holland

Moves
26 Oct 12

Originally posted by kevcvs57
The problem with the Prisoer of war solution is that suspected combatants will be judged by a military court and will not get released until the end of the war, this could result in prisoners spending the rest of their lives in prison, or conversely, potential recruits for the groups effected might think they will be out relatively quickly due to an optimis ...[text shortened]...
By their nature terrorists are problematic for conventional forces and their judicial systems.
It's not difficult.
A terrorist is generally a criminal and gets judged as one.
No problemo.

DJ

Moves
26 Oct 12

Originally posted by shavixmir
It's not difficult.
No problemo.
What was Bobby Sands? What was Nelson Mandela?

k
Flexible

The wrong side of 60

Moves
26 Oct 12

Originally posted by twhitehead
It is absurd and cannot be reconciled. But then the UK is not a particularly democratic state is it? You need a lot more than elections for democracy.
Relative to?

DJ

Moves
27 Oct 12

Originally posted by kevcvs57
Relative to?
Do they lock people up for wearing the shirts expressing distaste for the police in Russia. Yes they probably do, so I'd say on a par with Russia. You can vote, but whoever you vote for you're gonna get the government.

k
Flexible

The wrong side of 60

Moves
27 Oct 12

Originally posted by Dewi Jones
Do they lock people up for wearing the shirts expressing distaste for the police in Russia. Yes they probably do, so I'd say on a par with Russia. You can vote, but whoever you vote for you're gonna get the government.
A link to that case would be nice.

DJ

Moves
28 Oct 12

Sorry, I've been away for the weekend.
Here's a link

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/oct/11/manchester-man-jailed-tshirt-police

s
Don't Like It Leave

Walking the earth.

Moves
31 Oct 12

Originally posted by shavixmir
It's not difficult.
No problemo.
Terrorists became a military problem on September 11.

DJ

Moves
31 Oct 12
1 edit

Originally posted by sasquatch672
Terrorists became a military problem on September 11.
Do you mean september the 11th 1973 when a democratic country and it's government were attacked by terrorists?

k
Flexible

The wrong side of 60

Moves
31 Oct 12

Originally posted by Dewi Jones
Sorry, I've been away for the weekend.
Here's a link

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/oct/11/manchester-man-jailed-tshirt-police
Thanks, Ok that is a bit shocking given the guy's history, the judge could have, and should have used some leniency after the Police overreacted but failed miserably.

But I remain unconvinced about on a par with Russia.