Trust in the Federal government

Trust in the Federal government

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

w

Moves
02 Feb 13

http://sayanythingblog.com/entry/poll-53-of-americans-feel-the-government-is-a-threat-to-their-rights-and-freedoms/

According to a new Pew poll, about 53% of Americans now say that they don't believe government does the right thing the majority of the time.

Breaking this down further regarding those who distrust government:

Republicans: 70%
Democrats: 38%
Independents: 55%

Whites: 79%
Blacks: 54%
Hispanics: 59%

In fact, the only group that seems to be in love with Big Brother is the 18-29 year olds with about 65% saying that they trust government to do the right thing most of the time.

So should those in the federal government be worried that a populace in a "democracy" fears them, or should they be encouraged since the future generation that will replace them seems to embrace Big Brother with open arms?

j

Dublin Ireland

Moves
02 Feb 13

Originally posted by whodey
http://sayanythingblog.com/entry/poll-53-of-americans-feel-the-government-is-a-threat-to-their-rights-and-freedoms/

According to a new Pew poll, about 53% of Americans now say that they don't believe government does the right thing the majority of the time.

Democrat ...[text shortened]... nce the future generation that will replace them seems to embrace Big Brother with open arms?
Who was it who said all political careers end in failure?

It doesn't really matter who is in the parliament or who is in the government.
All politicians are regarded as narcissistic power hungry money grabbing
con artists who couldn't lie in bed straight never mind talk straight.

In February 2011 we here in Ireland got rid of the worst government in
the history of the Irish state.

The crowd that we put in after them promised so much and have delivered
so little. They introduced austerity measures have have hurt us very badly.
But they themselves have not suffered. Our Prime Minister ( Taoiseach )
is on more money than Obama.

w

Moves
02 Feb 13
2 edits

Originally posted by johnnylongwoody
Who was it who said all political careers end in failure?

It doesn't really matter who is in the parliament or who is in the government.
All politicians are regarded as narcissistic power hungry money grabbing
con artists who couldn't lie in bed straight never mind talk straight.

In February 2011 we here in Ireland got rid of the worst gove ...[text shortened]... themselves have not suffered. Our Prime Minister ( Taoiseach )
is on more money than Obama.
The youth of the country don't think this way. They think just the opposite. For them, Big Brother is cool.

Do you think it will carry over into their adult lives or will life experience reshape them as it seems to have the adults of the country?

Also, I think this type of distrust is a new phenomenon in the US. Never before has distrust been so high.

I find it interesting that the youth of the country are so gung ho for the federal government. Where do they get it? After all, their parents don't seem to think this way. This must then come from school and the media.

So the question begs, in a "free" society, can propoganda continue to succeed in reshaping the next generation?

Moves
02 Feb 13
2 edits

The youth of the country don't think this way. They think just the opposite. For them, Big Brother is cool.

Do you think it will carry over into their adult lives or will life experience reshape them as it seems to have the adults of the country?

Also, I think this type of distrust is a new phenomenon in the US. Never before has distrust been so high s, in a "free" society, can propoganda continue to succeed in reshaping the next generation?
I think youthful idealism tends toward the liberal side (after perhaps a foray into Ayn Randism) so we should not read too much into the current crop of youth tending to support a liberal government.

The report indicates some distrust concerning rights and some distrust concerning government competence/honesty/corruption. These kinds of distrust are not new IMO, but its level is high. Any reading of history (which young people might not do, as they get their information from Jon Stewart) will show times when rights were threatened -- McCarthy anyone? Selma/Birmingham etc.?

But maybe the perceived rights being threatened now threaten people in general and whites more than they threaten political and racial groups. Although Ruby RIdge and Waco stand out.

Edit: There may be perceived "liberal rights" being threatened by government too. Gay rights, women's right to choose, invasion of privacy.

w

Moves
02 Feb 13
3 edits

Originally posted by JS357
I think youthful idealism tends toward the liberal side (after perhaps a foray into Ayn Randism) so we should not read too much into the current crop of youth tending to support a liberal government.

The report indicates some distrust concerning rights and some distrust concerning government competence/honesty/corruption. These kinds of distrust are not new being threatened by government too. Gay rights, women's right to choose, invasion of privacy.
Back in the 60's it was just the opposite. At that time it was cool for the youth to be anti-establishment, but now it is cool to be pro-establishment.

No matter your views, it is some interesting stuff.

And you are correct, Jon Stewart is single handidly raising an entire generation of Americans. It takes teets of steel!! LOL.

Moves
02 Feb 13

Back in the 60's it was just the opposite. At that time it was cool for the youth to be anti-establishment, but now it is cool to be pro-establishment.

No matter your views, it is some interesting stuff.

And you are correct, Jon Stewart is single handidly raising an entire generation of Americans. It takes teets of steel!! LOL.
In the 60's the young radicals were mostly on the left (and/or were depicted as such by the rightist establishment). Now, the left is the establishment. (Some on the left would say it's center-left.) But then and now, the young were to the left more than the right. That's what I meant.

Personally I think distrust of government is being promoted by the parties more today, as it is exploitable for the benefit of the political class. And we have some significant examples of reasons to distrust, to look back to, today, compared with the early post WWII period.

E

Moves
02 Feb 13

Why trust something that is obviously so totally broken and out of touch with the individual?

Your vote means absolutely nothing on the national level.

s
Don't Like It Leave

Walking the earth.

Moves
02 Feb 13

Also, I think this type of distrust is a new phenomenon in the US. Never before has distrust been so high ...[text shortened]... s, in a "free" society, can propoganda continue to succeed in reshaping the next generation?
The funny part is that these are the people who know the least about life. And yet we trust them with the vote.

j

Dublin Ireland

Moves
02 Feb 13

Originally posted by sasquatch672
The funny part is that these are the people who know the least about life. And yet we trust them with the vote.
And there's talk of lowering the voting age.

The youth think Obama is cool.

They don't understand that while he is a refreshing change
to the likes of Disaster W Bush, what will happen in congress
is the same as it ever was. No dramatic changes will come about.
It will be the same old boring game as it ever was.

Then the youth will become disillusioned.

Everything comes full circle.

Same here in this country too.

s
Don't Like It Leave

Walking the earth.

Moves
02 Feb 13

Originally posted by johnnylongwoody
And there's talk of lowering the voting age.

The youth think Obama is cool.

They don't understand that while he is a refreshing change
to the likes of Disaster W Bush, what will happen in congress
is the same as it ever was. No dramatic changes will come about.
It will be the same old boring game as it ever was.

Then the youth will become disillusioned.

Everything comes full circle.

Same here in this country too.
They're really going to get disillusioned when they realize that their parents stole their prosperity for themselves.

Moves
02 Feb 13

Originally posted by Eladar
Why trust something that is obviously so totally broken and out of touch with the individual?

Your vote means absolutely nothing on the national level.
Trust by itself implies giving up vigilance. For example a couple who has love has trust of one another without being vigilant about getting it. If you want to use "trust" then use Reagan's "trust but verify." Reportedly Lenin originated the phrase.

We shouldn't be pissed off if we can't trust the government. The US constitution is based on the fact that we can't trust the government. Those men learned the hard way.

You people are demanding something that is not available from any government, and when you think don't get it, you get angry. It's just not there. Maybe everybody needs to learn that the hard way.

Moves
02 Feb 13

Originally posted by sasquatch672
They're really going to get disillusioned when they realize that their parents stole their prosperity for themselves.
As a parent, I can truly say, not I, and I know many other parents like me.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
02 Feb 13

Originally posted by JS357
As a parent, I can truly say, not I, and I know many other parents like me.
A lot of fathers are really parenting some rich man's child. So in that sense its true.

Moves
03 Feb 13

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
A lot of fathers are really parenting some rich man's child. So in that sense its true.
It is also true in the sense I meant it.

n

The Catbird's Seat

Moves
03 Feb 13

Democrat ...[text shortened]... nce the future generation that will replace them seems to embrace Big Brother with open arms?
Remember that the young grow old, and some of them wiser.