The Making of a Dictator

The Making of a Dictator

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

g

Pepperland

Moves
18 Dec 10

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-12024935
Venezuela's parliament has granted President Hugo Chavez special powers to deal with the aftermath of devastating floods.

"Mr Chavez will be able to pass laws by decree, without needing the support of congress, for 18 months.

His critics say the move will turn the country into a near-dictatorship.

They accuse him of taking advantage of the floods to strengthen his grip on power before a new congress is sworn in in January.

This is the fourth time Mr Chavez has been given such authority since he came to office almost 12 years ago.

He had asked to able to rule by decree for a year to address the emergency caused by floods and landslides that have killed around 40 people and left 140,000 homeless.

But the National Assembly extended the period to 18 months.

The head of the Assembly, Cilia Flores, said lawmakers were responding to the demands of flood victims."

"Opposition groups say the timing of the "Enabling Law," as it is known, is deeply cynical.

The current parliament, which is dominated by the president's supporters, is in the last few weeks of its session.

A new congress will begin sitting in January with many more opposition members following elections last September, which would have made it more difficult for Mr Chavez to pass laws.

The opposition fear Mr Chavez will use the powers to move Venezuela closer to a left-wing dictatorship.

Newly elected opposition congressman Julio Borges said the enabling law had one single aim: "to give more power to the government and take power away from the people".

But the opposition would keep fighting to make sure the "Cuban project" would fail, he said."

Perhaps now it is the right time for Chavez to be deposed before he achieves what he truly wants.

Hy-Brasil

Moves
18 Dec 10

Originally posted by generalissimo
[b]Venezuela's parliament has granted President Hugo Chavez special powers to deal with the aftermath of devastating floods.

"Mr Chavez will be able to pass laws by decree, without needing the support of congress, for 18 months.

His critics say the move will turn the country into a ne ...[text shortened]... t is the right time for Chavez to be deposed before he achieves what he truly wants.[/b]
He cant be all bad. Obama seems to like him pretty well.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
18 Dec 10

[b]Venezuela's parliament has granted President Hugo Chavez special powers to deal with the aftermath of devastating floods.

His critics say the move will turn the country into a ne ...[text shortened]... t is the right time for Chavez to be deposed before he achieves what he truly wants.[/b]
Enabling Acts are allowed by the Venzuelan Constitution.

"Deposing" elected Presidents isn't.

s
Granny

Parts Unknown

Moves
18 Dec 10

Originally posted by no1marauder

According to John Locke, "No man can be governed by a subhumanoid who was the result of the cross between a penis and a potato......Dicktater."

GRANNY.

K

Germany

Moves
18 Dec 10

I guess Venezuela's constitution is broken, then.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
18 Dec 10

Originally posted by KazetNagorra
I guess Venezuela's constitution is broken, then.
Probably. Virtually every President they've had in the last 40 years has at one time or other been granted powers under an Enabling Act; Carlos Andres Perez issued approximately 3000 decrees under Enabling Acts (Chavez has issued about a 100 under the previous ones he was granted).

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
18 Dec 10

Probably. Virtually every President they've had in the last 40 years has at one time or other been granted powers under an Enabling Act; Carlos Andres Perez issued approximately 3000 decrees under Enabling Acts (Chavez has issued about a 100 under the previous ones he was granted).
Funny, no one seemed to care in the slightest when Carlos Andres Perez issued all those decrees. But when Hugo does it, well, then that's a different story.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
19 Dec 10

Perhaps now it is the right time for Chavez to be deposed before he achieves what he truly wants.
Go for it! Show South America who's boss down there.

I

Moves
19 Dec 10

Originally posted by rwingett
Funny, no one seemed to care in the slightest when Carlos Andres Perez issued all those decrees. But when Hugo does it, well, then that's a different story.
Does that imply that they should have cared when Carlos Andres Perez did, or that they shouldn't care now that Hugo Chavez does?

I

Moves
19 Dec 10

Surely opposing inequality of wealth is ample justification for fostering inequality of political power?

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
19 Dec 10

Originally posted by IshDaGegg
Surely opposing inequality of wealth is ample justification for fostering inequality of political power?
Inequality of wealth directly fosters inequality in political power. A healthy democratic system requires a certain amount of egalitarianism.

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
19 Dec 10

Does that imply that they should have cared when Carlos Andres Perez did, or that they shouldn't care now that Hugo Chavez does?
Both. The fact is, though, that you couldn't care less how the Venezuelan constitution is set up, or what executive powers are embedded in it. You've simply latched on to the talking point of 'decrees' that are being bandied about in the mainstream media as a way of opposing Chavez's policies. The fact that the Venezuelan constitution allows for rule by decree may or may not be a good thing, but either way is remains so independent of the subsequent policies being decreed.

I

Moves
19 Dec 10

Both. The fact is, though, that you couldn't care less how the Venezuelan constitution is set up, or what executive powers are embedded in it. You've simply latched on to the talking point of 'decrees' that are being bandied about in the mainstream media as a way of opposing Chavez's policies. The fact that the Venezuelan constitution allows for rule by dec ...[text shortened]... d thing, but either way is remains so independent of the subsequent policies being decreed.
Both?

So, you are asserting that the fact that they didn't care when Carlos Andres Perez ruled by decree, but do care now that Hugo Chavez rules by decree, implies *both* that

(a) they should have cared when Carlos Andres Perez ruled by decree;
(b) they shouldn't now care now that Hugo Chavez rules by decree.

This implies that you have no overall view about whether it's good or bad that single person rule by decree. It all depends on the person doing the decreeing, and what they decree.

Well, I disagree. I think rule by decree is a huge liability. By and large, history backs me up.

I

Moves
19 Dec 10

Inequality of wealth directly fosters inequality in political power. A healthy democratic system requires a certain amount of egalitarianism.
So you agree that opposing inequality of wealth is ample justification for fostering inequality of political power?

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
19 Dec 10

Both?

So, you are asserting that the fact that they didn't care when Carlos Andres Perez ruled by decree, but do care now that Hugo Chavez rules by decree, implies *both* that

(a) they should have cared when Carlos Andres Perez ruled by decree;
(b) they shouldn't now care now that Hugo Chavez rules by decree.

This implies that you have no overal ...[text shortened]... l, I disagree. I think rule by decree is a huge liability. By and large, history backs me up.
Then you should have said something before. The fact that these decrees only bother you when the wrong person wields them indicates strongly that the matter is of no real concern to you. You only bring them up in an opportunistic fashion.