Was Gates a good SecDef?

Will Panetta be a good SecDef?
  2. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    02 Jul '11 22:35
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Was Gates a good SecDef?

Will Panetta be a good SecDef?
    It all makes no sense. Why put a military man in charge of the CIA and a civilian as sec of defense? Takling about Patreus and Pinetta.
  3. Joined
    14 Dec '07
    Moves
    03 Jul '11 03:27
    Do you think if Panetta doesn't like something the president has to say he will scream obscenities and kick dirt on him. Maybe he'll throw the sofa cushions.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Jul '11 04:28
    Originally posted by badmoon
    It all makes no sense. Why put a military man in charge of the CIA and a civilian as sec of defense? Takling about Patreus and Pinetta.
    Civilian control of the military makes perfect sense, both in terms of the nature of the body politic and rule of law, and in terms of symbolism. I can't see what's wrong with a professional senior soldier - who is no longer serving in the military - being put in charge of the CIA. Obviously there's a lot of skill set overlap. Makes plenty of sense.
  5. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    03 Jul '11 04:48
    Originally posted by FMF
    Civilian control of the military makes perfect sense, both in terms of the nature of the body politic and rule of law, and in terms of symbolism. I can't see what's wrong with a professional senior soldier - who is no longer serving in the military - being put in charge of the CIA. Obviously there's a lot of skill set overlap. Makes plenty of sense.
    They should swap positions. One way that what happened could make sense is if Obama is seriously thinking of cutting the defense budget. A civilian would be allowed more freedom, in that there isn't prior vested interest, in making the cuts.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Jul '11 06:29
    Originally posted by badmoon
    They should swap positions.
    No they need not swap positions.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree