Scientists want global warming skeptics prosecuted

Scientists want global warming skeptics prosecuted

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

b
Enigma

Seattle

Moves
22 Sep 15

Anyway, while libel is a tort, redressable in civil court, it has not been a crime in the US in more than two centuries.

Interesting, I've always been fascinated by things like this. I wish I'd had the $$ (and the grades) to go to law school. I'm sure it's 99% hard work and 1% inspiration, but pretty interesting nonetheless. 🙂

Blade Runner

Republicants

Moves
22 Sep 15

Originally posted by sh76
If I (assume I'm very rich and powerful) tell everyone that their taxes are higher than they are so that they'll vote for people who will lower taxes for the purpose of my benefiting from lower taxation, that's not really commercial speech.
It begs the question: Governments in Western democracies on both sides of the left and right divide, since Reagan and Thatcher have found it necessary to peddle the less taxation plus less spending mantra as the solution to Government revenue shortfalls, the promise being that as economic activity increases revenue will automatically increase even though per capita taxation rates actually decline.
Given that deficits and debt have only increased since that magic puding got sold to a gullible public eager to retain more of their earnings, at what point can the architects of such economic vandalism be held accountable and be sued for their dodgy ideology?

Z

Moves
22 Sep 15

===in any society, presenting falsehoods as truths and profiting from this is fraud. it is and should be illegal.===

Not in a society that values freedom of speech.

===What is the difference between a scientists who cooks his findings and an accountant who cooks his books?===

http://classroom.synonym.com/difference-between-political-speech-commercial-speech-9131.html
"Not in a society that values freedom of speech."
then you have no idea what freedom of speech is.

"http://classroom.synonym.com/difference-between-political-speech-commercial-speech-9131.html"
i asked "What is the difference between a scientist who cooks his findings and an accountant who cooks his books?"
i already said you can't prosecute politicians for most campaign promises.

Z

Moves
22 Sep 15

Is stating that global warming is not man made (even) for the purpose of trying to drive government policy a commercial statement?
would that statement influence lawmakers and the public to make or not make laws that hinder oil companies ability to make profit?

Hy-Brasil

Moves
22 Sep 15

Originally posted by Zahlanzi
"Not in a society that values freedom of speech."
then you have no idea what freedom of speech is.

"http://classroom.synonym.com/difference-between-political-speech-commercial-speech-9131.html"
i asked "What is the difference between a scientist who cooks his findings and an accountant who cooks his books?"
i already said you can't prosecute politicians for most campaign promises.
I am so impressed that a " Romanian" is so into American domestic affairs and politics. 😉

Z

Moves
22 Sep 15

Originally posted by utherpendragon
I am so impressed that a " Romanian" is so into American domestic affairs and politics. 😉
whether i like it or not, american domestic affairs and politics are affecting everyone in the world.

it is always funny when an "american" has no idea what freedom is, but aims to teach everyone else

Hy-Brasil

Moves
22 Sep 15

whether i like it or not, american domestic affairs and politics are affecting everyone in the world.

it is always funny when an "american" has no idea what freedom is, but aims to teach everyone else
It is also funny when a American pretends he is not American.

Z

Moves
22 Sep 15

It is also funny when a American pretends he is not American.
bwahaha, you actually believe i am american? i thought you are just mocking me for being romanian.

no, i assure you, i am romanian and i do have an interest in what happens in america because i do believe america has an impact on everyone else.

Hy-Brasil

Moves
22 Sep 15

bwahaha, you actually believe i am american? i thought you are just mocking me for being romanian.

no, i assure you, i am romanian and i do have an interest in what happens in america because i do believe america has an impact on everyone else.
baloney.
Ive read enough of your post to see through the façade.

Z

Moves
22 Sep 15
1 edit

baloney.
Ive read enough of your post to see through the façade.
i'll remember to quote you next time wajoma can't think of anything else to add to the discussion than bring up me being romanian as a negative.

oh and let's not forget: i don't care

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
22 Sep 15

would that statement influence lawmakers and the public to make or not make laws that hinder oil companies ability to make profit?
Trying to influence lawmakers is political speech (it's almost the definition of political speech), not commercial speech.

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
22 Sep 15

Originally posted by kmax87
It begs the question: Governments in Western democracies on both sides of the left and right divide, since Reagan and Thatcher have found it necessary to peddle the less taxation plus less spending mantra as the solution to Government revenue shortfalls, the promise being that as economic activity increases revenue will automatically increase even though per ...[text shortened]... architects of such economic vandalism be held accountable and be sued for their dodgy ideology?
Would you like to see people who peddle Reagan/Thatcher economic policy prosecuted?

Z

Moves
22 Sep 15

Trying to influence lawmakers is political speech (it's almost the definition of political speech), not commercial speech.
nobody cares about tinfoil nutjobs/intentional frauds running their mouth off in whatever media listens to them.

i am talking about scientists called to testify before congress or whatever committee. they are supposed to tell the truth, and if there isn't a law on this, it would be retarded.

Die Cheeseburger

Provocation

Moves
22 Sep 15

i'll remember to quote you next time wajoma can't think of anything else to add to the discussion than bring up me being romanian as a negative.

oh and let's not forget: i don't care
You'll be waiting a long time, I have never mentioned your nationality. It is of no consequence to me.

Another unsubstantiated claim from Doltboy. I foresee another run for the hills with the tail between the legs when challenged for proof .

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
22 Sep 15
1 edit

nobody cares about tinfoil nutjobs/intentional frauds running their mouth off in whatever media listens to them.

i am talking about scientists called to testify before congress or whatever committee. they are supposed to tell the truth, and if there isn't a law on this, it would be retarded.
Intentionally lying before Congress it is own crime. That's not what the original post was about.