Robin Williams had Parkinsons

Robin Williams had Parkinsons

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Infidel

Moves
21 Aug 14

Originally posted by KazetNagorra
Whodey has said that a law banning murder reduces freedom. Likewise, a law banning assisted suicide and euthanasia also restricts one's freedom, although whodey is in favour of such a ban. Could it be that whodey's notion of "freedom" is a bit inadequate?
Well, I’ve always thought that the hysterical message of GIVES US BACK OUR FREEDOM!! that right-wingers always bother the rest with really means I DON’T WANT OTHERS TO TELL ME WHAT TO DO BUT I WANT TO MAKE DARN SURE THAT MY SENSE OF MORALITY IS COPIED BY EVERYONE ELSE BECAUSE I AM RIGHT AND THEY IS WRONG.

But, pfff, what do I know? After all, I’m one step away from being a full-blown nazi.

r
Suzzie says Badger

is Racist Bastard

Moves
21 Aug 14

Originally posted by Great King Rat
What about assisted suicide?
I would gladly assisted him he deserves it for Jumanji.

w

Moves
22 Aug 14
1 edit

Most of this "conversation" has been about euthanasia, not AS. But alright, you're also against AS.

Can you explain why you are against receiving help in any form when wanting to commit suicide?

So far, you've offered two more or less reasons, 1) because it would be like playing god (why is that bad?), 2) because it might result in people being ...[text shortened]... (but then why allow people to "unplug the machine"?).

Is that all, or am I missing something?
We have all known people who have tried to kill themselves, and fail, and be glad they failed.

These people need our help, not our pillow over their faces.

w

Moves
22 Aug 14

Well, I’ve always thought that the hysterical message of [b]GIVES US BACK OUR FREEDOM!! that right-wingers always bother the rest with really means I DON’T WANT OTHERS TO TELL ME WHAT TO DO BUT I WANT TO MAKE DARN SURE THAT MY SENSE OF MORALITY IS COPIED BY EVERYONE ELSE BECAUSE I AM RIGHT AND THEY IS WRONG.

But, pfff, what do I know? After all, I’m one step away from being a full-blown nazi.[/b]
I have repeatedly stated that I'm no anarchist.

How hard is it to get through your thick rat skull that I support a limited government and not anarchy? For you, a person must want the state shoved up their arse or wish anarchy. Apparently there is no middle ground, just one extreme to the other.

It just so happens that there will always need to be laws against murder and killing people. However, there should not be laws against me buying a biggie soda, or not buying insurance, or riding a Segway in San Fran etc.

Infidel

Moves
22 Aug 14

Originally posted by whodey
We have all known people who have tried to kill themselves, and fail, and be glad they failed.

These people need our help, not our pillow over their faces.
You’re not answering my question, you’re just rambling again.

First of all, when someone requests euthanasia it’s NOT about you “being glad”, you selfish moron. You should be wondering why they would want to be dead and help them.

So when your dad is suffering greatly and has mere months to live in agonizing pain and wants to be euthanized, you should not be saying “I don’t want you to be dead, because that would not be making me glad”. You should forget about your own needs and put yourself into their shoes and respect THEIR wish. Is this something that you’re capable of?

Second, as a follow up. when someone needs your help, it sometimes means you have to do something that wouldn’t make YOU happy, but you’re doing it because the person wants it. The world does not revolve around Whodey.

Lastly, I know you’re just going to ignore this again, but no-one is putting a pillow of anyone’s face. Putting a pillow over someones face is usually a sign of murder, killing someone without their consent. I would presume it is also a horrible way to die. Euthanasia is not that. It is a) helping someone die who has requested that and whose wish has been granted after much deliberation and b) it is making sure that the person can die peacefully, painless in the company of his loved ones.

You constantly referring to euthanasia as “murdering”, “nazis” and “pillow over face” merely shows how incredibly biased you are in this subject and how shockingly little empathy you have for the people who actually are or have been in this unimaginably difficult situation.

Maybe you should talk to someone who has requested euthanasia and convince they are being murdered.

Maybe you should talk to a loved one of a euthanized patient and tell him/her that he put a pillow over his father’s face.

Now, my question was, why are you against euthanasia and assisted suicide?

Can you answer it this time?

Infidel

Moves
22 Aug 14

How hard is it to get through your thick rat skull that I support a limited government and not anarchy? For you, a person must want the state shoved up their arse or wish anarchy. Apparently there is no middle ground, just one extreme to the other.

It just so happens that there will always need to be law ...[text shortened]... ws against me buying a biggie soda, or not buying insurance, or riding a Segway in San Fran etc.
You want the freedom to be able to do something terribly unimportant as buying a biggie soda, but when it comes down to making the biggest decision in your life – one that most of us luckily never have to make – namely when and how you die, you want the state to take control.

That’s Whodeylogic right there.

Oh, and also, euthanizing someone is NOT murder. No matter how often you repeat, it never becomes true.

K

Germany

Moves
22 Aug 14

It just so happens that there will always need to be law ...[text shortened]... ws against me buying a biggie soda, or not buying insurance, or riding a Segway in San Fran etc.
And you have repeatedly used anarchist arguments, like "laws reduce freedom." But it's good to see you now realize the folly of such a general statement.

w

Moves
23 Aug 14

You’re not answering my question, you’re just rambling again.

First of all, when someone requests euthanasia it’s NOT about you “being glad”, you selfish moron. You should be wondering why they would want to be dead and help them.

So when your dad is suffering greatly and has mere months to live in agonizing pain and wants to be euthanized, you ...[text shortened]... estion was, why are you against euthanasia and assisted suicide?

Can you answer it this time?
Have it your way.

So when should euthanasia be implemented? When should assisted suicide be chosen?

Should we set up a death panel to assess the situation? Would you like to be on it?

K

Germany

Moves
23 Aug 14

Have it your way.

So when should euthanasia be implemented? When should assisted suicide be chosen?

Should we set up a death panel to assess the situation? Would you like to be on it?
You know, the concept of euthanasia is not that difficult to comprehend. The decision is taken by the person who wants to die. No "death panel" is required other than a doctor who needs to judge whether someone is capable of making this decision.

w

Moves
23 Aug 14

You know, the concept of euthanasia is not that difficult to comprehend. The decision is taken by the person who wants to die. No "death panel" is required other than a doctor who needs to judge whether someone is capable of making this decision.
So you would have helped Robin kill himself?

K

Germany

Moves
23 Aug 14

So you would have helped Robin kill himself?
No, I'm not a doctor.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
23 Aug 14

No, I'm not a doctor.
A doctor would have to violate his Hippocratic Oath to euthanize.

Infidel

Moves
23 Aug 14

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
A doctor would have to violate his Hippocratic Oath to euthanize.
Not true.

"I will respect the privacy of my patients, for their problems are not disclosed to me that the world may know. Most especially must I tread with care in matters of life and death. If it is given me to save a life, all thanks. But it may also be within my power to take a life; this awesome responsibility must be faced with great humbleness and awareness of my own frailty. Above all, I must not play at God."

I bet that Whodey got a boner reading that last line.

The Hippocratic oath isn't exact science, but a sort of guidebook for doctors, or maybe better formulated, a remembrance of the importance of their job and responsibility. Many doctors support the right to an abortion (away goes Whodey's boner) and don't feel they are breaking the oath.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
23 Aug 14

Not true.

"I will respect the privacy of my patients, for their problems are not disclosed to me that the world may know. Most especially must I tread with care in matters of life and death. If it is given me to save a life, all thanks. But it may also be within my power to take a life; this awesome responsibility must be faced with great humblenes ...[text shortened]... t the right to an abortion (away goes Whodey's boner) and don't feel they are breaking the oath.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primum_non_nocere

w

Moves
23 Aug 14

Not true.

"I will respect the privacy of my patients, for their problems are not disclosed to me that the world may know. Most especially must I tread with care in matters of life and death. If it is given me to save a life, all thanks. But it may also be within my power to take a life; this awesome responsibility must be faced with great humblenes ...[text shortened]... t the right to an abortion (away goes Whodey's boner) and don't feel they are breaking the oath.
Thumbs up or down Emperor Nero. Does Robin live?