Requiem for a Dream

Requiem for a Dream

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

e

Moves
25 Mar 13

Originally posted by wizard100947
I am a recovering addict, recovering from booze,and pills, I do have 30 years of recovery behind me and one more day of freedom ahead ( as long as I stay clean)I have a simple question, "HAVE LAWS EVER STOPPED A PERSON FROM BECOMING AN ADDICT ?" I am pretty sure of the answer. A resounding NO. Nor can you scare anyone enough to prevent their trying things. Education, open honest truthful education will work.
I agree the answer is no, and with karoly that drug dealers / users have become the battery chickens of the prison system, shipped in shipped out there to keep it going n pay the civil servants pension, and that sick process has cost me a few friends already. The morality of drugs is very simple, if you steel someones phone you are a thief, if you hit someone you are a thug, if you take drugs you are fine. Countries that legalise cannabis and don't criminalise other drugs do so much for the welfare of those people. I want to move to one, i wish i could speak spanish.

e

Moves
25 Mar 13

I don't want to paint the police in the UK as bad. It strikes me they are more pragmatic then the law makers most times. But I really dislike the tough sentences the UK gives out for the higher end drug smuggling - tons of weed kgs of coke. If i was in charge You would get 1 year - 6 months for that. I don't rate it as a serious crime, its like a big but minor one - just like tax evasion and does not require custody, custody is an inhumane response- That said if said person was murdering too thats still life.

e

Moves
26 Mar 13
2 edits

Originally posted by karoly aczel
LSD should come with a warning and some advice before trying it the first time. I read forty pages on DMT before I tried that by myself and I'm really glad that I did.
Re LSD. It is risky - But quite a few hallucinogens are legal in the UK (where weed should be legal n they should probably be taken of) I saw fly agaric on sale a while back. When I was a student there used to be a mushroom delivery service, it got banned, but when running they were legal - we tried it, have to say they had little effect.

I found a chemistry book on hallucinogens in the uni library and this is why I'm against them -a lot are related to strychnine - with lsd a trip is identical to a diabetic attack. They generally had very high toxicity / low ld50s - ergot is nasty stuff for example. What made me chuckle was the page on Mescaline - everything else was lethal . but... in the textbook was an account of the scientists trip on mescaline! colours seem vivid sounds can be tasted ... it was mad - quite funny. I think thats the one that chemist recomends! But I'm in no rush.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
28 Mar 13

Originally posted by e4chris
I don't want to paint the police in the UK as bad. It strikes me they are more pragmatic then the law makers most times. But I really dislike the tough sentences the UK gives out for the higher end drug smuggling - tons of weed kgs of coke. If i was in charge You would get 1 year - 6 months for that. I don't rate it as a serious crime, its like a big but min ...[text shortened]... custody is an inhumane response- That said if said person was murdering too thats still life.
Yes, it does come down to policing and by and large the cops in Europe don't hassle small time users of cannabis when according to the letter of the law they should be arrested.
But, as you hinted at with your post above this one I'm replying to, drugs are a health problem , not a criminal one.
I too dislike the sentences given to high end smugglers, but that's the system they've set up.
This is driven from even higher up. The pharmaceutical companies have more clout than most other business. That's because ideally they would like to synthesize every single useful plant and then kill off the plants so that only the synthesized version would be available. Sounds pretty sinister to me. You cant just remove plants from the ecosystem as we have seen with tampering with nature in the past, that there is usually a very delicate balance between differing life-forms, often only to be discovered after stuffing it up.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
28 Mar 13
1 edit

Re LSD. It is risky - But quite a few hallucinogens are legal in the UK (where weed should be legal n they should probably be taken of) I saw fly agaric on sale a while back. When I was a student there used to be a mushroom delivery service, it got banned, but when running they were legal - we tried it, have to say they had little effect.

I found a chemis .. it was mad - quite funny. I think thats the one that chemist recomends! But I'm in no rush.
Do you have legal highs in the UK?
DMT, in the form of salvia divinorium or Diviners sage was legal here for quite a while. I think it has been outlawed but it is rarely if ever policed as the plant looks like any other weed and the cops aren't too sure what they are looking for. Also it's non-addictive so it always remains a small business.
After taking LSD and some other hallucinogens I tried Diviners sage and I would definately recommend that to any other hallucinogen.
The forty pages I read came from the internet and was published by the distributors of the plant.
I only got the least potent , smoking form of it, but stronger extracts are available as well as the digestable version.
The 20$ worth lasted me a year, that's after I gave half of it away.
I tried it on a few scoffing friends who totally disbelieved that this dry, leafy looking pipe could do anything very drastic to them. After two pipes we were usually laughing our heads off at the simple beauty of this "drug".

w

Moves
28 Mar 13

So there was this guy who was a pot smoker and entered an appliance store. After looking around the shop, he asked the clerk behind the desk, "How much for the TV?" The desk clerk replied, "The TV is not for sale."

Undaunted, he returned the next day and asked the same thing, but was given the same response.

Then he came in a third day and was yet given the same response. Enraged, the young man demanded to know why he would not sell him the TV. The clerk responded, "It's not a TV, it's a microwave. I don't sell to pot heads!!"

😛

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
28 Mar 13

Seems like he decided to come in drunk on the third day.

e

Moves
28 Mar 13
1 edit

Do you have legal highs in the UK?
DMT, in the form of salvia divinorium or Diviners sage was legal here for quite a while. I think it has been outlawed but it is rarely if ever policed as the plant looks like any other weed and the cops aren't too sure what they are looking for. Also it's non-addictive so it always remains a small business.
After tak After two pipes we were usually laughing our heads off at the simple beauty of this "drug".
That salvia? yes. I think they have that, but i hear its a bit like caffeine, yes there are all sorts it seems if they get popular they sometimes get banned (usually chemicals) there was a cannabis replacement for a while and it kept selling out ( i remember a newsagent complaining about it), was actualy ok but all sorts of conspiracies about it. What gets me with cannabis is there is not a good alternative it is plant / receptor.

I must admit that lsd + clouds was quite a sight, but the 'trip' - me being a bit to calculating i quickly worked out, you just loose visual memory and can only see what is directly infront of you, the rest swirls and to a very limited extent can be manipulated. (that is alleged to have dire consequence with ergotism there are rumours it can create real life zombies! ) with lsd that becomes apparent after about 30 min but you have to put up with it for 5+ hours and can not taste cigarettes in that time!

e

Moves
28 Mar 13
3 edits

Originally posted by whodey
So there was this guy who was a pot smoker and entered an appliance store. After looking around the shop, he asked the clerk behind the desk, "How much for the TV?" The desk clerk replied, "The TV is not for sale."

Undaunted, he returned the next day and asked the same thing, but was given the same response.

Then he came in a third day and was yet giv ...[text shortened]... clerk responded, "It's not a TV, it's a microwave. I don't sell to pot heads!!"

😛
That is a good policy 🙂 but i worked in a shop and they are not the worst, the guy who fell over the 'gondola' was the worst. 🙂

e

Moves
29 Mar 13
1 edit

Yes, it does come down to policing and by and large the cops in Europe don't hassle small time users of cannabis when according to the letter of the law they should be arrested.
But, as you hinted at with your post above this one I'm replying to, drugs are a health problem , not a criminal one.
I too dislike the sentences given to high end smugglers, ate balance between differing life-forms, often only to be discovered after stuffing it up.
I agree with that pharma have a terrible habit of trying to bump off natural drugs so they can have patents, its an ugly useless process.

they also don't push effective drugs if there is a more profitable one that does not work! do you ever see cimetidine advertised for heartburn? no because 1 tablet can get rid of it for a week. but they push no end remedies that contain chalk because you need to drink the the bottle for the same effect. they are such liars

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
31 Mar 13

That salvia? yes. I think they have that, but i hear its a bit like caffeine, yes there are all sorts it seems if they get popular they sometimes get banned (usually chemicals) there was a cannabis replacement for a while and it kept selling out ( i remember a newsagent complaining about it), was actualy ok but all sorts of conspiracies about it. What gets m ...[text shortened]... 30 min but you have to put up with it for 5+ hours and can not taste cigarettes in that time!
Salvia like caffiene???

It's like DMT dude. IT is DMT. Way more direct than LSD

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
31 Mar 13

I agree with that pharma have a terrible habit of trying to bump off natural drugs so they can have patents, its an ugly useless process.

they also don't push effective drugs if there is a more profitable one that does not work! do you ever see cimetidine advertised for heartburn? no because 1 tablet can get rid of it for a week. but they push no end rem ...[text shortened]... contain chalk because you need to drink the the bottle for the same effect. they are such liars
You're on to it.

e

Moves
31 Mar 13
2 edits

I think big pharma is 'capitalisms great failure' everything else computers supermarkets, cars they can get right but the profit motive wrecks that industry.

sick people and only sick people should invest in pharma companies, teach them to not chase profits, but lives and not bully good natural / unpatented drugs out.

e

Moves
03 Apr 13
1 edit

I have seen the answer on a funny t shirt;

'I would tell you to go to hell, but i work there and i don't want to see you every day!'

that is my attitude to the anti drugs folks 🙂