Recession continues to ebb

Recession continues to ebb

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

U

Moves
23 Nov 09

Originally posted by sh76
Except that he was right. The fundamentals of the US economy are and were strong.

When the Yankees lose 3 games in a row, they're still fundamentally a strong team. When they have a bad year, they're still a strong franchise.
Sorry, but that's just spin. In the context that he said it he was obviously trying to play down the recession. He was referring to what people are usually talking about when they mention the "fundamentals of the economy" Economic indicators, all of which were dismal.

By the way, kudos to you. Your spin was much better than his team. Their explanation for such a laughable statement is that - by "fundamentals" he meant the "American worker." They then went on nationalistic speeches about how the American worker is the best in the world, etc.

So when McCain said "the fundamentals of our economy are strong" he was saying, "The American workers are strong"

M

Moves
23 Nov 09
1 edit

Except that he was right. The fundamentals of the US economy are and were strong.

When the Yankees lose 3 games in a row, they're still fundamentally a strong team. When they have a bad year, they're still a strong franchise.
Yes, even though the team had lost a few games in a row, McCain was right. But why did he emulate George Steinbrenner from the 70's and 80's? When all the critics demanded that McCain trade half the team, and he responded by announcing that he wanted to postpone all the games for the upcoming week, but then played the games anyway when the other team showed up to play. It also didn't help that he made Sarah Palin the team's clean-up hitter instead of Reggie Jackson.

t
True X X Xian

The Lord's Army

Moves
24 Nov 09

Originally posted by zeeblebot
all the comments at the OP's link are negative, including this one:

Posted by: morphylius | November 23, 2009 12:13 PM

Why should I consider this 10.1% jump good news? "First time home buyers" are people who are young and/or a poor credit risk. In other words, if unemployment increases next year, they are the ones most likely to lose their jobs. That would add significantly to the 14% of homes in foreclosures right now.
I knew chicken little would show up eventually.

silicon valley

Moves
24 Nov 09

you missed a headline.

---

http://www.usnews.com/money/blogs/the-home-front/2009/11/18/behind-the-home-building-shocker.html

Behind the Home Building 'Shocker'

By Luke Mullins

Posted: November 18, 2009

The fitful nature of the housing sector's healing process was apparent Wednesday when a government report on new-home construction came in much weaker than economists had expected. The Commerce Department reported that October housing starts dropped nearly 11 percent from September and almost 31 percent from a year earlier. "The headline number is a shocker," Patrick Newport, U.S. economist at IHS Global Insight, said in a report. Here are four things you need to know about the development:

silicon valley

Moves
24 Nov 09

Originally posted by telerion
I knew chicken little would show up eventually.
... and whack little stewie like a pinata!

t
True X X Xian

The Lord's Army

Moves
24 Nov 09

I guess that just depends on what he meant by fundamentals. I think a pretty strong case can be made that the fundamentals of the banking and financial sector were not sound at all. The same could be done for the residential construction sector as well.

I know he later said something about how he meant that the spirit of the American worker was strong but we all know that was just political nonsense.

BTW I agree with pretty much everything else you've written in this thread. I'll be very surprised if Obama makes a serious effort to tackle deficits. More likely, he'll make a few meager concessions and then try to spin the inevitable decrease in deficits that comes as an economy exits recession. It's not anti-Obama thing. It's a political reality.

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
24 Nov 09

Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
Sorry, but that's just spin. In the context that he said it he was obviously trying to play down the recession. He was referring to what people are usually talking about when they mention the "fundamentals of the economy" Economic indicators, all of which were dismal.

By the way, kudos to you. Your spin was much better than his team. Their expl ...[text shortened]... damentals of our economy are strong" he was saying, "The American workers are strong"
Thanks. Maybe I should get a job working for a campaign's media relations department.

The Couric interview was done after Palin has been sleep deprived for 3 days.

No, the White House didn't mean to ban Fox news from that meeting. They means that the door should be closed so wild foxes didn't enter the building.

McCain knew perfectly well how many houses he owned. He was just hesitating to think about whether the servants' houses counted separately.

How am I doing?

silicon valley

Moves
24 Nov 09

why should mccain know? it's his wife that owns most of them.

F

Moves
24 Nov 09

Originally posted by zeeblebot
Posted by: morphylius | November 23, 2009 12:13 PM

Why should I consider this 10.1% jump good news? "First time home buyers" are people who are young and/or a poor credit risk. In other words, if unemployment increases next year, they are the ones most likely to lose their jobs. That would add significantly to the 14% of homes in foreclosures right now.
Wait. Who, exactly is morphylius?

Moves
24 Nov 09

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/economy-watch/2009/11/oct_existing_home_sales_jump_r.html

[b]Oct. existing home sales jump record 10.1 percent.

Yes, the $8,000 incentive could be a reason, but maybe, just maybe, the sky is not falling on the great capitalist economic system we in the Western World have built.[/b]
If I'm one of the many millions that are out of work then home sales are not a reflection of any kind of recovery for me. Quite the opposite, in fact.

Recovery will happen when employment recovers, regardless of the semantics and doublespeak used by those who are obliquely affected by the recession.

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
24 Nov 09

Originally posted by Badwater
If I'm one of the many millions that are out of work then home sales are not a reflection of any kind of recovery for me. Quite the opposite, in fact.

Recovery will happen when employment recovers, regardless of the semantics and doublespeak used by those who are obliquely affected by the recession.
You have it backwards. Employment will recover after we have a recovery. That's the way it works. Look it up.

M

Moves
24 Nov 09

Originally posted by Badwater

What if you were one of the many millions who were out of work during the peak of the "irrationally exuberant" economy? Even during the best of times, the unemployment rate rarely gets below 4%.

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
24 Nov 09

Originally posted by FMF
Wait. Who, exactly is morphylius?
Z's alias

😉