Quote from Benjamin Franklin

Quote from Benjamin Franklin

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

k
Flexible

The wrong side of 60

Moves
03 Sep 13

Originally posted by whodey
I think it should favor educated people who are up to the task, so this would probably equate into economically mobile people, just like the Founders. Of course, that would be up to the voters.
No it will not be up to the voters, their choices will be limited to choosing one independently wealthy member of the mercantile class over another rather than a merit based contest, oh hang on, that is exactly the model benjamin and his mercantile cronies were aiming for when they wrote the constitution in order to protect the position of their own class.

when are you going to stop taking it up the a$$ from a bunch of dead merchants?

n

The Catbird's Seat

Moves
04 Sep 13

Originally posted by rwingett
Congressmen have a salary of $174,000 per year. Do you really think that is the primary source of wealth for any of them?
Their pensions and health care benefits are worth millions.

n

The Catbird's Seat

Moves
04 Sep 13

Originally posted by rwingett
So in your view career public servants are of greater suspicion than those who use their term in office as a mere gateway to a lucrative job as a corporate lobbyist?
Why do corporations employ former government officials at such outrageous rates of pay?

n

The Catbird's Seat

Moves
04 Sep 13

Originally posted by joe beyser
I think a fair cost of living allowance can be calculated. I don't think it would be fair to penalize someone for holding office so give them an average of the last 4 years of income they have earned per year salary. No investment profits should be considered. Also their expenses are paid for for moving their families as well as special education consider ...[text shortened]... s well as being a filter for attracting those with the best interests of the country at heart.
How about an average of what their constituents earn in the private sector?

jb

Moves
05 Sep 13

Originally posted by normbenign
That is brilliant. Just to add to this, how about welfare and unemployment benefits do not count.

E

Moves
05 Sep 13
1 edit

Originally posted by normbenign
Make it illegal for politicians to ever make money on giving speeches, writing books or land speculation. The only way a politician can ever invest in the stock markets is though index funds, lifetime ban from playing the stock market.

Make it illegal to accept any kinds of money to prevent corruption and only have people in power who are doing it for the good of the country.

Same limitation goes to all members of the family.