Moves
    04 Nov '16 01:421 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

2. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    04 Nov '16 02:11
    Sports facilities are built with money from bonds. This means voters approved the bond which is to be paid back with tax money. It is a local tax passed by an election voted on by the local voters.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Nov '16 02:30

4. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    04 Nov '16 10:20
    Yes that is what I said. They use tax dollars to pay high school football players.

It isn't what I actually said but if la la land is where you want to be so be it.
  5. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    05 Nov '16 08:08
    I don't know if football players are any more likely to assault girls/women than other boys, but I haven't yet heard of any school trying to cover up an alleged assault by a chess club star or model train club member.
  6. Subscribermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    05 Nov '16 09:43
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    I agree 100%. I like sports, but this is money misspent. It's almost as if the institution of high school and college football is a better financed entity than the school itself.
  7. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    05 Nov '16 14:42
    Originally posted by mchill
    I agree 100%. I like sports, but this is money misspent. It's almost as if the institution of high school and college football is a better financed entity than the school itself.
    I tend to agree but sports do not take away significantly from school money. Most of the extra money sports get is from revenue streams separate from the revenue streams funding the schools.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Nov '16 22:23

9. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Nov '16 22:301 edit

10. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    05 Nov '16 22:53
    The Russians made him play football. LOL Duchess you are so Hillaryass. LOL
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    05 Nov '16 23:181 edit
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Sports facilities [at schools] are built with money from bonds. This means voters approved the bond which is to be paid back with tax money. It is a local tax passed by an election voted on by the local voters.
    Another Republican 'kick the can down the road' idea because "we can't bear to actually be taxed according to how much we make and pay our share to educate our kids, because I already pay out the ass to send my own brat to private school. In fact, what the hell am I doing? I should be able to get you to pay for MY kid, too." And charter schools were born.

These bonds do not manufacture money from thin air. They are paid for by everyone in higher property taxes. More Republicans shoving a "flat-tax" down our throats so that we end up paying for their kids to go to private school.
  12. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    05 Nov '16 23:26
    The concussion issue and the NFL's sleezy response to it, are a couple of reasons I really have no interest in watching the sport anymore. Other sports have injury risks, but to not have serious head and neurological issues later in life is the exception among football players, not the rule.

I played soccer and tennis. Strained a hamstring once, but otherwise was pretty lucky.

I enjoyed watching football on television in high school because I enjoyed getting stoned and tripping out on the slow motion replays. But knowing these guys are going to suffer problems for the rest of their lives takes the pleasure out of it - even if I still smoked weed.
  13. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    06 Nov '16 00:05
    $70 million certainly sounds extremely excessive, but investments in general in stadiums often pay for themselves in seats and luxury boxes for which members of the public pay high prices.
  14. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    06 Nov '16 00:13
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Another Republican 'kick the can down the road' idea because "we can't bear to actually be taxed according to how much we make and pay our share to educate our kids, because I already pay out the ass to send my own brat to private school. In fact, what the hell am I doing? I should be able to get you to pay for MY kid, too." And charter schools were born ...[text shortened]... g a "flat-tax" down our throats so that we end up paying for their kids to go to private school.
    Yes I guess voting to increase taxes at the local level to be spent for specfic projects is a Republican trick.
  15. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    06 Nov '16 02:021 edit
    Originally posted by sh76
    $70 million certainly sounds extremely excessive, but investments in general in stadiums often pay for themselves in seats and luxury boxes for which members of the public pay high prices.
    At a high school?

Pretty unlikely. According to the article, the stadium will only seat 12,000.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree