Owner of several S'wich shops constitutes Monopoly!!?!??

Owner of several S'wich shops constitutes Monopoly!!?!??

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lake Como

Moves
170d

@suzianne said
Those things are rife with quid pro quo and greed when run by the private sector.

I'm sure you'd love to go back to the days of Al Capone.

The business of helping people belongs to the government (shut up, AvJoe), not for-profit corporations.

This goes double for education.
What is helping people? Who decides which people? It is a given that we should support the 40M people in despair, which we don't, but who other than that are you talking about? And define helpl?

Lake Como

Moves
170d

@sonhouse said
@AverageJoe1
So Walmart had no idea they were killing mom an pop stores across the country? Come on, get real.
hmmmmmm. Tell the aerage joe that you want to shut down Walmart because they corner the market on, well, whatever you think they corner the market on?

Lake Como

Moves
170d

@wajoma said
1. awww booohoo Malls are killing mom and pop stores
2. awww boohoo big box stores like walmart are killing the malls
3. awww boohoo online shopping is ruining big box stores

awww boohooo if only we didn't have to listen to sunstroker boohooing alllllll the time.

Edit: If you're looking at opening a mom and pop style sandwich shop or takeaways shop the best place is ...[text shortened]... ferent from any other competition and you're going to get more target customer traffic by your shop.
I wrote a PM to SHouse to ask him to continue his point, to close his point, by including KMart, which has 2500 stores. Tell us, is KMart joiined up with WalMart, forming one huge Monopoly?
It is a gotcha question, .... there are many such businesses, are they ALL part of the monopoly of Walmart, or separate monopolies? But wait, a monopoly is defined as one enterpeise cornerimng the entire market. Sonhouose will have a headach on this one, but mine may be worst. I am very verklempt.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
169d

@averagejoe1 said
I wrote a PM to SHouse to ask him to continue his point, to close his point, by including KMart, which has 2500 stores. Tell us, is KMart joiined up with WalMart, forming one huge Monopoly?
It is a gotcha question, .... there are many such businesses, are they ALL part of the monopoly of Walmart, or separate monopolies? But wait, a monopoly is defined as one enter ...[text shortened]... re market. Sonhouose will have a headach on this one, but mine may be worst. I am very verklempt.
US anti-trust law does not require an entire market to be owned by one firm for it to be considered a monopoly under the Sherman Act and other more than 100 year old laws:

"Courts do not require a literal monopoly before applying rules for single firm conduct; that term is used as shorthand for a firm with significant and durable market power — that is, the long term ability to raise price or exclude competitors. That is how that term is used here: a "monopolist" is a firm with significant and durable market power. Courts look at the firm's market share, but typically do not find monopoly power if the firm (or a group of firms acting in concert) has less than 50 percent of the sales of a particular product or service within a certain geographic area. Some courts have required much higher percentages. In addition, that leading position must be sustainable over time: if competitive forces or the entry of new firms could discipline the conduct of the leading firm, courts are unlikely to find that the firm has lasting market power."

https://www.ftc.gov/advice-guidance/competition-guidance/guide-antitrust-laws/single-firm-conduct/monopolization-defined

You should read the whole article by the Federal Trade Commission; you might learn something rather than gullibly swallowing every piece of right wing propaganda you gaze upon.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
169d
1 edit

The Clayton Anti-Trust Act forbids any merger or acquisition where: "the effect of such acquisition may be substantially to lessen competition, or to tend to create a monopoly."

http://unclaw.com/chin/teaching/antitrust/statutory_supplement.pdf
Clayton Antitrust Act Section 7

Die Cheeseburger

Provocation

Moves
169d

@no1marauder said
US anti-trust law does not require an entire market to be owned by one firm for it to be considered a monopoly under the Sherman Act and other more than 100 year old laws:

"Courts do not require a literal monopoly before applying rules for single firm conduct; that term is used as shorthand for a firm with significant and durable market power — [b]that is, the long ter ...[text shortened]... learn something rather than gullibly swallowing every piece of right wing propaganda you gaze upon.
There is no objective definition it's what the 'courts' happen to poop out on the day.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
169d

@averagejoe1 said
What is helping people? Who decides which people? It is a given that we should support the 40M people in despair, which we don't, but who other than that are you talking about? And define helpl?
... said the sociopath.

Lake Como

Moves
169d

@shavixmir said
As for your first point: do you think monopolies are good or bad?

As for your last point: kill yourself. Then we don’t need to listen to you whine like the little snowflake you obviously are.
Monopolies are bad. A given.

Lake Como

Moves
169d

@no1marauder said

"Courts do not require a literal monopoly before applying rules for single firm conduct; that term is used as shorthand for a firm with significant and durable market power — [b]that is, the long ter ...[text shortened]... learn something rather than gullibly swallowing every piece of right wing propaganda you gaze upon.
This is the RHP Forum, we are having fun here, and your duatribes are getting a bit old. Do you want us to set aside a few hours today to work on your soliloquies? Jesus.
You suggest above to read the articles of the federal trade commission. I am not being a smart ass, nor demeaning you, why don’t you settle down and let us have fun, and, like you , I am all of the same education, and I am not going to look at the federal trade commission articles.
Have fun you silly goose, and please don’t send us articles and links about silly geese.

Lake Como

Moves
169d

@suzianne said
... said the sociopath.
No no no…..ASKS the sociopath. You and marauder are having a problem tonight.

Lake Como

Moves
169d

@no1marauder said
The Clayton Anti-Trust Act forbids any merger or acquisition where: "the effect of such acquisition may be substantially to lessen competition, or to tend to create a monopoly."

http://unclaw.com/chin/teaching/antitrust/statutory_supplement.pdf
Clayton Antitrust Act Section 7
My God, here he is again.

Lake Como

Moves
169d

@averagejoe1 said
It is a gotcha question, .... there are many such businesses, are they ALL part of the monopoly of Walmart, or separate monopolies? But wait, a monopoly is defined as one enter ...[text shortened]... re market. Sonhouose will have a headach on this one, but mine may be worst. I am very verklempt.
So, given marauder and all that, why say Walmart a monopoly, and ignore Kmart and big lots and Best Buy and my shoe store and Albertsons and Publix. UhOh, Sonhouse is about to go below ground! Maybe Kev and Suzy will join forces!!

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
169d
1 edit

@AverageJoe1
Yeah, lets not have that pesky truth thing again, we are SO tired of hearing truth.

I guess you don't care for mom and pop businesses. Not many of them anymore since Walmart and the like took over businesses that had individuality. Can't have THAT can we, we want total mediocracy in our civilization.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
169d

@averagejoe1 said
This is the RHP Forum, we are having fun here, and your duatribes are getting a bit old. Do you want us to set aside a few hours today to work on your soliloquies? Jesus.
You suggest above to read the articles of the federal trade commission. I am not being a smart ass, nor demeaning you, why don’t you settle down and let us have fun, and, like you , I am all of the ...[text shortened]... ticles.
Have fun you silly goose, and please don’t send us articles and links about silly geese.
Are you ever ashamed about starting a thread complaining about something when it becomes pretty quickly clear that you don't have the slightest idea regarding the subject and are just gullibly relying on some propaganda from the same right wing outlets you rely on for 100% Of your information?

Die Cheeseburger

Provocation

Moves
169d

@no1marauder said
Are you ever ashamed about starting a thread complaining about something when it becomes pretty quickly clear that you don't have the slightest idea regarding the subject and are just gullibly relying on some propaganda from the same right wing outlets you rely on for 100% Of your information?
"The 'private sector' of the economy is, in fact, the voluntary sector...the 'public sector' is, in fact, the coercive sector."

Hazlitt