Obama to remove Assad

Obama to remove Assad

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cape Town

Moves
14 Nov 14
1 edit

Originally posted by whodey
So you supported Bush removing Saddam?
Yes. I disagreed with his motives (Oil) and his reluctance to remove Mugabe.

w

Moves
14 Nov 14

Originally posted by twhitehead
I agree. I don't necessarily think it is wise to topple dictators, but I do think it is morally acceptable. Unfortunately the US has a history of installing more dictators than they have toppled. In fact, some of the ones they toppled, were ones they had installed.
So what defines a dictator? Is it someone who does not hold elections?

D

Moves
14 Nov 14

D

Moves
14 Nov 14

Moves
14 Nov 14
2 edits

Originally posted by no1marauder
He took no such oath. Here's the oath he did take:

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States.

Nothing in the Constitution is consistent with the President unilaterally deciding to oust another country's leader.
We'll see whether he does a unilateral ousting and whether it is ruled by official (constitutional) means that the office is faithfully executed by that event. Until then it is a matter of conjecture. Faithful execution of office and defense of the constitution are the stated interests.