Obama hostilie towards christians?

Obama hostilie towards christians?

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

w

Moves
08 Jul 09
2 edits

Originally posted by utherpendragon
NAMPA, Idaho, July 3 /Christian Newswire/ -- This marks the first time in the 42 year history of the event that a flyover request was denied by the Pentagon.

The event is held ever year to honor the spiritual foundations of our country with a special emphasis on the men and women who serve in the armed forces.

In past years, the "God and Count next year we will be allowed to give the military the honor they deserve."
Perhaps the powers that be are a bit nervous about a flyover Washington. After all, wouldn't you be a bit nervous if you were trying to pass some of the legislation they are trying to pass and have passed? LOL Heck, if it were me I wouldn't so much as leave the Senate Chambers and/or White House!!

w

Moves
08 Jul 09

Originally posted by sh76
I have to admit, I am slowly being convinced on this thread that it is probably best to leave God out of the public school science classroom all together. I don't see much harm in presenting it as an alternative creation of the Universe hypothesis (which, as AThousandYoung pointed out, I am using in a loose sense), but there may not be all that much point in do ...[text shortened]... ased on amorphous meaningless symbolism of the currency phrase; but that's a separate issue.
All that should be said in the class room is that God is a viable possibility in terms of our origins and leave it at that. Doing so in no way invokes a particular religion and does not conflict with science. It is simply a mystery for which evolution is silent.

F

Moves
08 Jul 09

Originally posted by whodey
All that should be said in the class room is that God is a viable possibility in terms of our origins and leave it at that.
Viable possibility? In what way?

jb

Moves
08 Jul 09

Originally posted by utherpendragon
NAMPA, Idaho, July 3 /Christian Newswire/ -- This marks the first time in the 42 year history of the event that a flyover request was denied by the Pentagon.

The event is held ever year to honor the spiritual foundations of our country with a special emphasis on the men and women who serve in the armed forces.

In past years, the "God and Count ...[text shortened]... next year we will be allowed to give the military the honor they deserve."
Maybe they are worried about a coup attempt. I should think Obama would be nervous about the possibility, as he is not elligible to be the president. Look what happened in Honduras. There is more to it than what is being said.

w

Moves
08 Jul 09

Originally posted by FMF
Viable possibility? In what way?
Evolution does not tackle the issue regarding our origins, rather, that is abiogenesis. As a science, abiogenesis is simply speculative in that it simply peices together our bulding blocks and says that is how we are made. Then you come up with some pretty elaborate theories as to how those building blocks were thrown together in order for nonlife to become living. In fact, sicence cannot so much as create the smallest of living organisms which is the cell. Therefore, since it has never been observed nor can be duplicated, how certain can we be that it occorred at random without intellegent intervention? It seems to me that a mystery has been set before us that will NEVER be answered scientifically, therefore, why not provide one possible scenerio of a God being at the helm? For me, another mystery might be the origins of the material universe etc.

F

Moves
08 Jul 09

why not provide one possible scenerio of a God being at the helm?
In what way is this "scenario" viable? What's it got to do with science? What's it got to do with what ought to be going on in public schools?

w

Moves
08 Jul 09

Originally posted by FMF
In what way is this "scenario" viable? What's it got to do with science? What's it got to do with what ought to be going on in public schools?
If God is needed to create life, the answer should be obvious. Of course, no scientific evidence will be found, however, neither will there be evidence found to back up abiogenesis.....unless you would like to try your hand at a life form in your spare time.

F

Moves
08 Jul 09

If God is needed to create life, the answer should be obvious.
How does the fact that something is "obvious" to you necessarily make it "viable"?

w

Moves
08 Jul 09

Originally posted by FMF
How does the fact that something is "obvious" to you necessarily make it "viable"?
Your question reminds me of Ben Stiens movie "Expelled". He was asking a scientist about how life came about. The scientist just smiled and said "crystals". "It was formed on the back of crystals". He then continued to quesiton him but he only gave him the same answer. I will never forget the look on Ben's face. LOL. Anyhew, I would just say that God is as vialbe as the crystal theory or any other theory out there.

F

Moves
08 Jul 09

Your question reminds me of Ben Stiens movie "Expelled". He was asking a scientist about how life came about. The scientist just smiled and said "crystals". "It was formed on the back of crystals". He then continued to quesiton him but he only gave him the same answer. I will never forget the look on Ben's face. LOL. Anyhew, I would just say that God is as vialbe as the crystal theory or any other theory out there.
Well take it Spirituality, spanky. And keep it in your home, and in your places of worship, or picnics or whatever. Out of all the things that a kid needs to be taught in high school, why does "how life came about" rank up there at all? It is not a pressing question. People can live exemplary, happy lives without using up a moment's thought on it. Or they can think about it all the time if they want to. That's the beauty of it. Why must it be taught in high school? What does "how life came about" haqve to do with the life that we live?

w

Moves
08 Jul 09

Originally posted by FMF
Well take it Spirituality, spanky. And keep it in your home, and in your places of worship, or picnics or whatever. Out of all the things that a kid needs to be taught in high school, why does "how life came about" rank up there at all? It is not a pressing question. People can live exemplary, happy lives without using up a moment's thought on it. Or they can th ...[text shortened]... ht in high school? What does "how life came about" haqve to do with the life that we live?
Did I say it should be taught in school? No. What I said is that it should be presented as possibility. In fact, you should present all the theories out there including "crystals" and let them decide for themselves. Unless, of course, we want to be the thought police for our children in public schools. Really, just the mention of God as being the possible source of life should suffice. There is not need to elaborate on it further nor should they delve into the various religions that point to a God.

P

Moves
08 Jul 09

Did I say it should be taught in school? No. What I said is that it should be presented as possibility. In fact, you should present all the theories out there including "crystals" and let them decide for themselves. Unless, of course, we want to be the thought police for our children in public schools. Really, just the mention of God as being the possibl ...[text shortened]... elaborate on it further nor should they delve into the various religions that point to a God.
We should also present the idea that the holocaust didn't happen, the US revolution didn't happen and that 2+2=23 and let the kids decide for themselves what they believe too.

After all, we wouldn't want to be the "thought police" and make kids think that 2+2=4.

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
08 Jul 09

Originally posted by FMF
Out of all the things that a kid needs to be taught in high school, why does "how life came about" rank up there at all? It is not a pressing question. People can live exemplary, happy lives without using up a moment's thought on it. Or they can think about it all the time if they want to. That's the beauty of it. Why must it be taught in high school? What does "how life came about" haqve to do with the life that we live?
The same can be said for 90% of what's taught in schools. Most people have no need for biology, physics, calculus, history, etc., in their daily lives.

School is not just about what the students will need for their day-to-day lives.

F

Moves
08 Jul 09

Originally posted by sh76
School is not just about what the students will need for their day-to-day lives.
I know that. I've spent 27 years directly, and indirectly, involved in education at every age level. All I can say is that the competing speculative claptraps about "how life came about" ranks so low for me, it doesn't get a look in.

"Most people have no need for biology, physics, calculus, history..."

One wonders what kind of people you mingle with. Just about all the people I am acquainted with are all the more intellectually blessed because of the contributions made by such disciplines. Whereas, those I know who dwell on "how life came about" and start talking about the 'viability of the God scenario' tend to have huge intellectual blind spots, not to mention an attemptedly 'death-defying' 'need to believe in something, anything' that borders on personality disorder.

K

Germany

Moves
08 Jul 09

Evolution does not tackle the issue regarding our origins, rather, that is abiogenesis. As a science, abiogenesis is simply speculative in that it simply peices together our bulding blocks and says that is how we are made. Then you come up with some pretty elaborate theories as to how those building blocks were thrown together in order for nonlife to become ...[text shortened]... d being at the helm? For me, another mystery might be the origins of the material universe etc.
Evolution explains how complex life forms came into being from simple life forms. It does not explain how the earliest simple life forms started, but if evolution is true, mankind was not created by any supernatural deity.