1. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    16 May '22 15:06
    @shallow-blue said
    So are France, the Netherlands, Germany, Norway, Sweden, Belgium...

The problem in Italy is not the system, it's that for a short while it was run by hot-heads and dumb, Washington-centric Americans still believe in the stereotype. In reality, its last election was four years ago, and the one before that a similar distance. What is less stable in countries with ...[text shortened]... h countries have only ever gained successful new parties once or twice, and that decades ago.
    I’m a big fan of P.R, FPTP is undemocratic and leads to a grinding two party system. Lots of scare stories thrown about the last time we had a vote on it. Claims it can lead to political inertia or minority parties pushing through minority policies. But most countries that use it seem to do ok.
    I think any political system gets dysfunctional when the electorate are more or less equally situated at polar opposite ends of the spectrum.
  2. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    16 May '22 15:091 edit
    @no1marauder said
    It's true impeachment is meant to be difficult and reserved for "Treason, Bribery and High Crimes and Misdemeanors". One Presidential impeachment trial failed by a single vote and Nixon would surely have been impeached and removed if he hadn't resigned.

Expulsion of a member of Congress is also possible though rare. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expulsion_from_the_United_States_Congress
    Those must have been the good old non partisan days, Clinton is a good example of it working, other than what he did is a nothing burger in political terms. The fact that trump could not be impeached twice because of partisan republicans is a blow to the whole concept.
  3. Joined
    27 Sep '06
    Moves
    16 May '22 16:36
    @shallow-blue said
    Ah, yes. The great force of the individual millions worth a few bucks each, versus the few corporate sponsors worth millions each.

Oh, no, wait. The corporations are worth billions, not millions.

Face it, your country is corrupt as all hell.
    There are no more used cars,only, 'pre-owned.'
    There are no more LIES, only 'misstatements.'
    There are no more BRIBES, only 'campaign contributions.'
  4. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    29 May '22 04:18
    @jimm619

Did you know non paying members used to be able to post 2 threads per day and now RHP changed it to only 1?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree