1. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    21 Jun '21 01:311 edit
    @mott-the-hoople said
    the town was open to the public
    A fair point but:

"When we balance the Constitutional rights of owners of property against those of the people to enjoy freedom of press and religion, as we must here, we remain mindful of the fact that the latter occupy a preferred position. [Footnote 7] As we have stated before, the right to exercise the liberties safeguarded by the First Amendment "lies at the foundation of free government by free men," and we must in all cases "weigh the circumstances and . . . appraise the . . . reasons . . . in support of the regulation . . . of the rights." Schneider v. State, 308 U. S. 147, 308 U. S. 161. In our view, the circumstance that the property rights to the premises where the deprivation of liberty, here involved, took place were held by others than the public is not sufficient to justify the State's permitting a corporation to govern a community of citizens so as to restrict their fundamental liberties and the enforcement of such restraint by the application of a state statute. "

Marsh v. Alabama, 326 US 501, 509 (1946). https://supreme.justia.com/cases/federal/us/326/501/

I don't see much difference between a corporation doing so and a group of individuals doing so. And such a result would be especially egregious here where the Mayor revealed the names and addresses of those who took a political position she didn't agree with thus possibly exposing them to harassment while she would be supposedly insulated from the same because she lives in a gated community.
  2. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    21 Jun '21 10:231 edit
    @no1marauder said
    A fair point but:

"When we balance the Constitutional rights of owners of property against those of the people to enjoy freedom of press and religion, as we must here, we remain mindful of the fact that the latter occupy a preferred position. [Footnote 7] As we have stated before, the right to exercise the liberties safeguarded by the First Amendment "lies at th ...[text shortened]... sment while she would be supposedly insulated from the same because she lives in a gated community.
    “ I don't see much difference between a corporation doing so and a group of individuals doing so”

doesnt really matter what YOU see.
  3. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    21 Jun '21 16:03
    @mott-the-hoople said
    “ I don't see much difference between a corporation doing so and a group of individuals doing so”

doesnt really matter what YOU see.
    Nor what you do.

Obviously the authorities in St. Louis, including the Mayor, felt that arrests for trespassing in these circumstances was unjustified.
  4. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    21 Jun '21 20:16
    @no1marauder said
    Nor what you do.

Obviously the authorities in St. Louis, including the Mayor, felt that arrests for trespassing in these circumstances was unjustified.
    the mayor doesnt arrest or cause to be arrested.
  5. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    21 Jun '21 22:37
    @mott-the-hoople said
    the mayor doesnt arrest or cause to be arrested.
    I'm sure if the Mayor had wanted the protestors in front of her home arrested for trespassing she could have requested it from the Chief of Police she appointed.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    21 Jun '21 23:111 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

7. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    21 Jun '21 23:52
    @no1marauder said
    I'm sure if the Mayor had wanted the protestors in front of her home arrested for trespassing she could have requested it from the Chief of Police she appointed.
    not the way it works...go back to law school and learn correctly
  8. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    22 Jun '21 00:07
    @mott-the-hoople said
    not the way it works...go back to law school and learn correctly
    If you say so.

There were cops there as the pictures show.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree