Man of the year award

Man of the year award

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

P

Moves
28 Dec 13

Originally posted by whodey
Well?

Mine goes to Edward Snowden.
I second the Edward Snowden nomination. To give up all he gave up for a worthy cause, and apparently get nothing in return, means he should be the Man or the Year. Nothing against the Pope (who won Time's Man of the Year over Snowden), but whatever the Pope has done this year didn't come with the huge personal risks and costs that Snowden has endured, and will likely continue to endure.

Moves
28 Dec 13

Originally posted by normbenign
Don't you think the whole exercise is somewhat foolish?
On this forum it is just another way to express your position on things. My position is, yes, it's foolish.

b
Enigma

Seattle

Moves
29 Dec 13

Well?

I'm going with Pope Francis. I'm liking this guy more and more

Moves
29 Dec 13

Originally posted by bill718
Why?

w

Moves
29 Dec 13

Originally posted by normbenign
Don't you think the whole exercise is somewhat foolish?
In terms of propaganda, it is very important to the powers that be.

For example, the Pope was awarded man of the year by Time Magazine for his left winged rhetoric of late. Such compliance is rewarded this way in order for the state to strip us of all our rights in favor of a nanny state.

w

Moves
29 Dec 13

Originally posted by bill718
The nomination was a trade off between ardent atheistic left wingers and conservative Catholics. It helps give good press to people like yourself but also helps left wingers like yourself recruit for the nanny state.

My guess is that the Pope will not attract as many to Catholicism as those who are drawn into being statists, however.

k

Moves
30 Dec 13

The nomination was a trade off between ardent atheistic left wingers and conservative Catholics. It helps give good press to people like yourself but also helps left wingers like yourself recruit for the nanny state.

My guess is that the Pope will not attract as many to Catholicism as those who are drawn into being statists, however.
Surely the Catholic church doesn't care what atheists think, for its own internal decisions.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
04 Jan 14

I don't need to be a Constitutional expert to know that I live in a post Constitutional system. It is really not that hard to figure out.

As for quip about the Constitution being a holy text, this just goes to show that people like you know that you live in a post Constitutional system, but really could care less.

Here is an idea, why don't we just let the government do as they damn well please and stick our heads up are bum?
"... I live in a post Constitutional system." -whodey

.... in the twilight of common sense.

w

Moves
05 Jan 14

Originally posted by karnachz
Surely the Catholic church doesn't care what atheists think, for its own internal decisions.
Yes they do, and don't call me Shirley. 😠

Back in the 60's it was hip to be against the establishment, but now it is hip to be stuck up their arse. The Catholic church knows this and is pandering to people like you.

e
Adepto 'er perfectu

Moves
05 Jan 14

Well?

maybe

depends if the almighty greenwald will share any of his millions that he's made, or is about to make, with snowden. im sure he has, and it makes one wonder if that was the underlying intent...

250$ million project with ebay founder, multi-million dollar book deal signed after a few months when the leak began, and all those tv interviews being the leak keyholder. you all can say what hero's these guys are, but they still got paid, bottom line.

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
05 Jan 14

I'd go with whichever scientist was most responsible for the Higgs boson confirmation.

K

Germany

Moves
05 Jan 14

Originally posted by sh76
I'd go with whichever scientist was most responsible for the Higgs boson confirmation.
The CERN team responsible for discovering the Higgs boson consists of literally thousands of scientists. It would be difficult to pick the most important one.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
07 Jan 14

Well considering the short list of relative losers, a woman or a team of thousands, I'll put forward Ronnie Biggs as Man of the year.
After all, his name is on the Great Train Robbery, a successful prison escape, doing a song with The Sex Pistols and living to be an old fart who stuck it to authority and was admired for it somehow by many.

D

Moves
07 Jan 14

K

Germany

Moves
07 Jan 14

Duchess64 is Man of the Year here on RHP.