Logical Fallacy Thread

Logical Fallacy Thread

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
10 Nov 11

Originally posted by JS357
Erro, ergo sum.
post hoc ergo propter hoc

Moves
10 Nov 11

Originally posted by sh76
The very fact that he denies it proves it so. If it were not so, why would he bother to deny it?
Ah, I do not deny that this is true, but if it is true, then it must also be true that anything you don't deny must be false.

n

The Catbird's Seat

Moves
10 Nov 11

Originally posted by FMF
Every post MUST contain a glaring logical fallacy whilst debating the thread's premise.
Would a logical fallacy be pure and true logically, but a fallacy due to being based on a false premise?

Stated mathematically, 5+5=10. This is logically true, however if we define zero as .5 or any other false premise, the logically true becomes a fallacy.

This seems to be the source of the most harshly argued points. Not many are willing to re-examine their premises.

Moves
10 Nov 11

Originally posted by normbenign
Would a logical fallacy be pure and true logically, but a fallacy due to being based on a false premise?

Stated mathematically, 5+5=10. This is logically true, however if we define zero as .5 or any other false premise, the logically true becomes a fallacy.

This seems to be the source of the most harshly argued points. Not many are willing to re-examine their premises.
A logical fallacy is usually something more like,

"no sentence in the English language has more than four words in it"

Which proves itself wrong.

However there are a host of fallacies, as listed here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fallacies

However if you want to have a false premise fallacy then you need to state your false premise for people to see.

GENS UNA SUMUS

Moves
11 Nov 11

Originally posted by sh76
There's obviously never been a true communist government since the utopian ideals that are the goal of the movement have never been realized.
I fear the notion of a communist government in its true sense is a logical fallacy. Communism, in its utopian form, is predicted on slender evidence (incorporating a delighful belief about the inner worth of every individual human) to be the ultimate outcome of the logical inconsistencies and internal contradictions in Capitalism, which will ultimately dissolve leaving utopia in place. So Capitalism is also a logical fallacy, based as it is on unsustainable contradictions. . It would also be a fallacy to disagree with this view. For example, Lenin was impatient and tried to anticipate the transformation to a workers' paradise through revolution, so in Marxist terms, Marxist-Leninism was certainly a logical fallacy. Maoism (if it is anything beyond a licence to murder political opponents) adopts the even more fallacious notion that we might skip from feudal state to worker's paradise without first serving our time in a smoky industrial capitalist era. The fallacy has been rejected in China of course which is now very smoky indeed. Similarly, the logical fallacy that any alternative to brute capitalism is communism is a fallacy.

F

Moves
11 Nov 11

Originally posted by googlefudge
However there are a host of fallacies, as listed here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fallacies
Your brazen argumentum ad verecundiam aside, I once met a professor who is a world authority on the validity of wikipedia, and he would no doubt point out that you are wrong to cite it in the way you have.

n

The Catbird's Seat

Moves
11 Nov 11

Originally posted by googlefudge
A logical fallacy is usually something more like,

"no sentence in the English language has more than four words in it"

Which proves itself wrong.

However if you want to have a false premise fallacy then you need to state your false premise for people to see.
So a statement such as "I'm sure I've never been wrong except the one time I thought I was" would be a logical fallacy?

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
11 Nov 11

Originally posted by finnegan
I fear the notion of a communist government in its true sense is a logical fallacy. Communism, in its utopian form, is predicted on slender evidence (incorporating a delighful belief about the inner worth of every individual human) to be the ultimate outcome of the logical inconsistencies and internal contradictions in Capitalism, which will ultimately diss ...[text shortened]... larly, the logical fallacy that any alternative to brute capitalism is communism is a fallacy.
If there was a logical fallacy in that post, I slept through it.

w

Moves
11 Nov 11

Joe Pa is a great man.

Moves
11 Nov 11
3 edits

Originally posted by whodey
Joe Pa is a great man.
...by proving once again, there are no such great men.

Sacrificing himself on the altar of greatness.

B

Moves
11 Nov 11

You either post in this thread or are incapable of understanding the word "fallacay".

Ro

Moves
11 Nov 11

Lots of people believe there is a fallacy in this posting, so there must be.

Ro

Moves
11 Nov 11

I have read in this book that this is the one true fallacy. This book is true.

Therefore all other fallacies are false fallacies because, if they were true fallacies, then this book would not be true.

Praise be.

Moves
12 Nov 11

You say it best when you say nothing at all.

Planet Rain

Moves
12 Nov 11

Originally posted by FMF
Every post MUST contain a glaring logical fallacy whilst debating the thread's premise.
Logic is invincible, because in order to combat logic it is necessary to use logic. – Pierre Leon Boutroux