Liberals Hereby Condemn Everything Bad

Liberals Hereby Condemn Everything Bad

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
22d

@spruce112358 said
Not really. Self-defense is not bad, so we, as liberals, are not condemning that.

When someone INITIATES a violation of your rights, you can respond as needed to compel them to stop.
Just for kicks and hypotheticals, will you unequivocally condemn the intentional use the rape of civilians as a weapon of war EVEN in defense?

Or, for example, do you think that the intentional use the rape of civilians as a weapon of war is fine in defense?

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
22d

@spruce112358 said
I'll go ahead and condemn any organization that INITIATES a violation of the rights of others.
You’re starting to sound like Wajoma.

s
Democracy Advocate

Moves
21d

@sh76 said
Just for kicks and hypotheticals, will you unequivocally condemn the intentional use the rape of civilians as a weapon of war EVEN in defense?

Or, for example, do you think that the intentional use the rape of civilians as a weapon of war is fine in defense?
You mean if a military commander ordered his troops to rape civilians to achieve a military objective? I do unequivocally condemn that.

I think the Japanese did have such policies in China and Korea during WWII. I believe the same thing has been ordered by militia leaders in Sudan.

As for troops getting out of control during war, that also happens. Notably several companies of the 23rd Americal Division got out of control at My Lai and raped and killed many Vietnamese civilians. Those events are condemnable but are separate from the discussion of the justice of the war aims.

War is not neat. Civilians always suffer in some way. Troops can get out of control. That is the nature of war. War is always horrible and that is why it should always be avoided if there is any other way to restore the rights of an afflicted population.

Lake Como

Moves
21d

@spruce112358 said
You mean if a military commander ordered his troops to rape civilians to achieve a military objective? I do unequivocally condemn that.

I think the Japanese did have such policies in China and Korea during WWII. I believe the same thing has been ordered by militia leaders in Sudan.

As for troops getting out of control during war, that also happens. Notably several ...[text shortened]... should always be avoided if there is any other way to restore the rights of an afflicted population.
Would you condemn the idea that a grown male, with big hands and strong legs could be allowed to compete against your 11-year old grandchild, or any of your children or grandchildren?
I thought this a good thread for that, seeing as how you are on to condemning stuff. What about my contractor who never went to college having his tax money going to pay for losers to graduate and live debt free as they start their $100k jobs, starting off with a fe months in Europe?
Good time to wrap up these questions.
You can do it. Break away from the pack!

s
Democracy Advocate

Moves
21d
1 edit

@averagejoe1 said
I thought this a good thread for that, seeing as how you are on to condemning stuff.
"Would you condemn the idea that a grown male ... be allowed to compete against your 11-year old grandchild... ?" Sure.

"What about my contractor ... having his tax money going to pay for [individuals] to graduate ... debt free ... ?" Well, Congress decided this should be an option a long time ago, but I'm not sure this is the right way to go about it. I would rather see a lowering of tuition. Then again, I have a friend in his 60's who still has student debt, so something is definitely awry in the system. Still, 'condemn' is too strong a word.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
21d

@AverageJoe1
It doesn't matter to you in the slightest if a student has 200,000 in student loans, TOUGH SHYTE, get a job. Even if the job only pays 100K a year and the loan requires a 3000 dollar a month payment. That would represent 30% of salary BEFORE TAXES and then having to get housing, rent or buy, whatever, will take at least another 30% of salary and medical insurance running 1200 a month. Doesn't leave much for minor stuff like food, clothes, internet, cell phone, car insurance, car payments, utilities now does it.

Lake Como

Moves
21d
1 edit

@spruce112358 said
"Would you condemn the idea that a grown male ... be allowed to compete against your 11-year old grandchild... ?" Sure.

"What about my contractor ... having his tax money going to pay for [individuals] to graduate ... debt free ... ?" Well, Congress decided this should be an option a long time ago, but I'm not sure this is the right way to go about it. I wou ...[text shortened]... dent debt, so something is definitely awry in the system. Still, 'condemn' is too strong a word.
If this guy in his 60's has student debt, something is probably wrong for sure, Spruce. Yeah, sounds a bit out of synch with the world. So, it is probably the world's fault?
It is his fault, little feller. I am always mentioning planning, etc. I wonder if he had more children than he could afford.
So, he elects to borrow money, promises to pay it back. He does that, but you say the system is awry? All of you fellers are quite a team. Fault is always elsewhere, not with you. You can quote me if you'd like. You are all like chldren that just happened onto the scene. Uhhh, now what 🤔

Lake Como

Moves
21d

@sonhouse said
@AverageJoe1
It doesn't matter to you in the slightest if a student has 200,000 in student loans, TOUGH SHYTE, get a job. Even if the job only pays 100K a year and the loan requires a 3000 dollar a month payment. That would represent 30% of salary BEFORE TAXES and then having to get housing, rent or buy, whatever, will take at least another 30% of salary and medical insura ...[text shortened]... stuff like food, clothes, internet, cell phone, car insurance, car payments, utilities now does it.
I guess I could answer each sentence separately, about the life of an independent self-reliant (the way it used to be) person , making decisions, but I can do it in two words...Poor Planning.

You brushed over my question to you , a few clicks back. Poor planning?

s
Democracy Advocate

Moves
21d

@athousandyoung said
You’re starting to sound like Wajoma.
Lemme see... Does every sentence inflect up at the end? Even when it is just a statement? People say Kiwis talk like that? And they like use 'like' a lot? 🙂

Die Cheeseburger

Provocation

Moves
21d

@spruce112358 said
Lemme see... Does every sentence inflect up at the end? Even when it is just a statement? People say Kiwis talk like that? And they like use 'like' a lot? 🙂
I was parodying this post of yours. Otherwise it doesn't happen.

spruce said like:

"LOL. Fair enough.

I have never had a libertarian answer that question. They are like 'But the theory is so beautiful!' And I'm like, 'Yeah, but in practice? Not so much...'

s
Democracy Advocate

Moves
21d

@averagejoe1 said
If this guy in his 60's has student debt, something is probably wrong for sure, Spruce. Yeah, sounds a bit out of synch with the world. So, it is probably the world's fault?
It is his fault, little feller. I am always mentioning planning, etc. I wonder if he had more children than he could afford.
So, he elects to borrow money, promises to pay it back. He does ...[text shortened]... te me if you'd like. You are all like chldren that just happened onto the scene. Uhhh, now what 🤔
No kids. And he is paying it off without help. But ... no, something still out-of-whack.

I'll tell you what the problem is - the free market is not working. Someone is interfering with it.

Education used to cost very little. It cost me very little. Then we had an information explosion. Now everyone can get a world-class education online, literally for FREE, without leaving the house. Technology *should* be driving the cost of education to almost zero.

But instead, the cost of education has sky-rocketed. Instead we have student loans until we retire?

That means that someone, somehow is interfering in the free market. THAT'S the problem. I don't know who or what or how, but it is going on. And it will crash - eventually. Education costs WILL go to zero. But when... when...?

Lake Como

Moves
21d
3 edits

@spruce112358 said
No kids. And he is paying it off without help. But ... no, something still out-of-whack.

I'll tell you what the problem is - the free market is not working. Someone is interfering with it.

Education used to cost very little. It cost me very little. Then we had an information explosion. Now everyone can get a world-class education online, literally for FREE, without ...[text shortened]... t is going on. And it will crash - eventually. Education costs WILL go to zero. But when... when...?
Good point. The general answer is in the 'what the market will bear' vein. There are around 6000 colleges in the USA. They are not all Harvard and Yale. There is a college for everyone. If someone is not born with a silver spoon, that is life. This is one of the idioms of life that libs cannot grasp. If libs think it is not fair that my daddy gives me $millions , we will never have a meaningful discussion.
Self reliance (I know, libs hate it) is handled differently by everyone, some work harder than others, some work hard just to earn a ticket to college. So, does his neighbor think that he should be able to get the same ticket??. If this simple concept is not understood by the Forum, it cannot be discussed. You know all this, I just tried to put it in simple terms.
If someone replies, please do not mention the word government. The govt has made it clear that each state handles education. THAT government......maybe to petition for free college or whatever. The 'free' will cost so much that people will leave to avoid the state taxes.
And so it goes.

Edit: An interesting note,,,,in 1966, the annual tuition of one of the law schools was $600, I kid you not. That is equal to about $6000 today. Averages Yearly tuition today??
Public law 'in-state'. $30,000
Out of State $42,000
Private $53,000

But think about it.....I would think a life of lawyering, very lucrative, would be worth paying $90,000 over 3 years. Do you really think it should be free? That is a liberal point of view for sure. Win that one, and then pursue the govt giving you a car to get to class. Really, Spruce.

s
Democracy Advocate

Moves
21d
1 edit

@averagejoe1 said
I would think a life of lawyering, very lucrative, would be worth paying $90,000 over 3 years. Do you really think it should be free?
No, lawyers should definitely pay that much. More even. 🙂

For the rest, I never said education should be free. Your figures show that the cost has risen exorbitantly. That shouldn't be happening unless there is a distortion in the market since the cost of "materials" i.e. INFORMATION has gone way, WAY down.

EDIT: Plus, and I know you won't want to hear this, but it is a fact: Trump, a noted conman and indicted criminal, once tried to start a University! That is clear evidence of something shady occurring in parts of the higher education market.

Moves
21d

@spruce112358 said
Trump, a noted conman and indicted criminal,
I didn't know being indicted automatically made you a criminal.

s
Democracy Advocate

Moves
21d

@cliff-mashburn said
I didn't know being indicted automatically made you a criminal.
It doesn’t.