Liberals - Fortune favors the persistent

Liberals - Fortune favors the persistent

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cryptic

Behind the scenes

Moves
06 Oct 18

Back in the early 1960's I listened as a kid to my grandfather moaning and groaning about how "the world's a goin to the dogs!" whenever he read something in the newspaper he didn't approve of. Well, it didn't! Quite a number of very good things have happened since then in the areas of civil rights, women's rights, environmental protection, consumer protection and so forth, this despite resistance in all these areas from the right wing. It's easy to feel down when a big event doesn't go your way, but in my 60+ years, I've learned those events seem very small when viewed in terms of decades, rather than weeks, so don't get your heads down over this Trump administration and it's antics. Fortune favors the persistent. 🙂

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
06 Oct 18

You're right.
It's always 2 steps forward one step back.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
06 Oct 18

Yes, but how good are we at remembering truly watershed events, or even knowing them while they set us adrift? How do we tell just what we can blow off as "not important in the long run", and what will set the course of human events for decades to come?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
06 Oct 18

@mchill said
Back in the early 1960's I listened as a kid to my grandfather moaning and groaning about how "the world's a goin to the dogs!" whenever he read something in the newspaper he didn't approve of. Well, it didn't! Quite a number of very good things have happened since then in the areas of civil rights, women's rights, environmental protection, consumer protection and so forth, th ...[text shortened]... et your heads down over this Trump administration and it's antics. Fortune favors the persistent. 🙂
here in the UK the tories are doing their best to dismantle social services/NHS/infrastructure/ even the police and armed forces are suffering its 0 steps foreward and 3 steps back every day in GB

K

Germany

Moves
06 Oct 18

@wolfgang59 said
You're right.
It's always 2 steps forward one step back.
You guys forgot some steps forward since the 1980s.

Moves
06 Oct 18

@badradger said
here in the UK the tories are doing their best to dismantle social services/NHS/infrastructure/ even the police and armed forces are suffering its 0 steps foreward and 3 steps back every day in GB
There is a lot they could be doing better for sure, but just pray that they hold it together long enough for the Labour Party to jettison Corbyn and get a sensible leader who won’t take the party and the country back to the dark ages.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
06 Oct 18

@divegeester said
There is a lot they could be doing better for sure, but just pray that they hold it together long enough for the Labour Party to jettison Corbyn and get a sensible leader who won’t take the party and the country back to the dark ages.
we are and have been back in the dark ages under this punitive tory regime, I have suffered financialy in 94 I was on £22k by 2017 lucky if I could make £17k doing the same job labour costs driven down, whilst the toffs raked it in.

Moves
06 Oct 18
2 edits

@badradger said
we are and have been back in the dark ages under this punitive tory regime, I have suffered financialy in 94 I was on £22k by 2017 lucky if I could make £17k doing the same job labour costs driven down, whilst the toffs raked it in.
What job and why did the pay go down?

If it’s labour costs being driven down as you say then that is due to supply and demand. So either automation of some sort is putting your job at risk or cheaper labour is.Or whatever you do simply isn’t a required service anymore. Repairing CRT TVs for example.

K

Germany

Moves
06 Oct 18

@divegeester said
What job and why did the pay go down?

If it’s labour costs being driven down as you say then that is due to supply and demand. So either automation of some sort is putting your job at risk or cheaper labour is.Or whatever you do simply isn’t a required service anymore. Repairing CRT TVs for example.
How many people would have done a ten times better job than Kenneth Lay as executive for a tenth of the pay? One million? Ten million? Clearly, worker pay is a bit more complex and nuanced than merely "supply and demand."

Moves
06 Oct 18

@suzianne said
Yes, but how good are we at remembering truly watershed events, or even knowing them while they set us adrift? How do we tell just what we can blow off as "not important in the long run", and what will set the course of human events for decades to come?
Good point. Hitlers happen.