Jack Kevorkian RIP

Jack Kevorkian RIP

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
11 Jun 11
1 edit

Kevorkian championed freedom and progress.

Discuss.

Doug Stanhope

That's Why I Drink

Moves
11 Jun 11
1 edit

What better way to pay homage to the man than taking the step, Gary?

Consider it.

d

Moves
11 Jun 11

Kevorkian championed self pity and cowardice. Also, murder
http://www.nytimes.com/1999/04/14/us/kevorkian-sentenced-to-10-to-25-years-in-prison.html

If he had run tv ads they might have gone like this: "When you get done pissing and moaning about the lemons life gave you, call me and I'll take care of it. Lemonade is for suckers."

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
11 Jun 11

Originally posted by FMF
Kevorkian championed freedom and progress.

Discuss.
He lived not far from me, in Royal Oak, MI. He was indeed a champion of freedom and progress.

F

Moves
11 Jun 11

Originally posted by Seitse
What better way to pay homage to the man than taking [b]the step, Gary?

Consider it.[/b]
Kevorkian championed freedom and progress: agree or disagree?

Doug Stanhope

That's Why I Drink

Moves
12 Jun 11

Originally posted by FMF
Kevorkian championed freedom and progress: agree or disagree?
It depends on your next step, Gary.

Planet Rain

Moves
12 Jun 11

Originally posted by Seitse
It depends on your next step, Gary.
Who's Gary, dingleberry?

Blade Runner

Republicants

Moves
12 Jun 11

Originally posted by Soothfast
Who's Gary, dingleberry?
FMF is a chess grandmaster?

Die Cheeseburger

Provocation

Moves
12 Jun 11

Whose life is it?

"The Peaceful Pill"

Note: Purchasing and Downloading this book in Australia may be illegal

Die Cheeseburger

Provocation

Moves
12 Jun 11

Originally posted by Wajoma
[b]Whose life is it?
Guess we should vote on it, that'll be the answer.

F

Moves
12 Jun 11

Originally posted by Wajoma
Guess we should vote on it, that'll be the answer.
It would be good to see the repeal of the laws that resulted in Kevorkian being gaoled for 7 years.

T

Moves
12 Jun 11
1 edit

Originally posted by dryhump
Kevorkian championed self pity and cowardice... If he had run tv ads they might have gone like this: "When you get done pissing and moaning about the lemons life gave you, call me and I'll take care of it. Lemonade is for suckers."
If a person is terminally ill, which those who seek euthanasia are by definition, then I think it is a matter of considerable bad taste to pass complacent judgement on how they choose to respond to that situation. Even more so to suggest they seek to distill "lemonade" from the horrors of cancer or Alzheimer's.

In such horrible circumstances, both a decision to meet death at once, and a decision to endure suffering until they meet a natural end, can be taken to be courageous acts. It is impertinent to dictate how people should respond to extreme suffering, or to use terms such as "self-pity" and "cowardice" when it behoves others to approach such cases with pity and understanding.

ZB

Moves
12 Jun 11

Kevorkian championed self pity and cowardice. Also, murder
http://www.nytimes.com/1999/04/14/us/kevorkian-sentenced-to-10-to-25-years-in-prison.html

If he had run tv ads they might have gone like this: "When you get done pissing and moaning about the lemons life gave you, call me and I'll take care of it. Lemonade is for suckers."
Apparently you've never been around a terminally ill person.
Self pity and cowardice ?
Really a disgusting claim, you need to do a little more thinking on the subject.

F

Moves
12 Jun 11

Kevorkian championed self pity and cowardice. Also, murder [...] "When you get done pissing and moaning about the lemons life gave you, call me and I'll take care of it. Lemonade is for suckers."
Most Gratuitously Grotesque Post Of The Week.

d

Moves
12 Jun 11

Your right, the comment was horrible (I intended it as satire), but the fact remains that Kevorkian was a murderer. Helping someone do it themselves is different than what he did to get convicted. If he had done it with a gun, I doubt he would have garnered much sympathy. Plus, I'm not sure how it can be argued that he was acting in a professional capacity. He didn't get paid for his "services". Does that make it a hobby? If you gave someone a gun and helped them put it in their mouth, would you be responsible when they used it?

I watched one grandpa go down to lung cancer and another to congestive heart failure. My wife's grandma had cancer in the esophagus. I wouldn't have made a comment like that if it weren't intended as a joke.