If we were all 100 people

If we were all 100 people

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
17 Mar 16

Can't vouch for factulaity, but seems reasonable:

https://www.facebook.com/GOODHQ/videos/10153453652588059/

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
17 Mar 16

Originally posted by JS357
Can't vouch for factulaity, but seems reasonable:

https://www.facebook.com/GOODHQ/videos/10153453652588059/
The most amazing stat there is that 75% of people have mobile phones whereas only 7% make more than $50/day.

Tells you a lot about the price of a mobile phone.

Cape Town

Moves
17 Mar 16

Originally posted by sh76
A basic mobile phone can be easily obtained for free. Note that the video gives a much higher figure for 'internet access' than 'has a mobile phone' suggesting that most phones are not smart phones.

On the other hand my maid has a smart phone (given to her by anther employer) and I do not. Its a weird world.

n

The Catbird's Seat

Moves
17 Mar 16

The most amazing stat there is that 75% of people have mobile phones whereas only 7% make more than $50/day.

Smart phones are virtually free or low cost. Rates aren't much different or not different at all for dumb phones.

Almost nobody has a home phone anymore, or an answering machine. The kids all have smart phones. Prices are way down and dropping. There are family plans with most carriers, and there really isn't a need for the old home phone.

Moves
17 Mar 16

Originally posted by twhitehead
A basic mobile phone can be easily obtained for free. Note that the video gives a much higher figure for 'internet access' than 'has a mobile phone' suggesting that most phones are not smart phones.

On the other hand my maid has a smart phone (given to her by anther employer) and I do not. Its a weird world.
OTOH, you have a maid.

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
17 Mar 16
1 edit

Also, that 1% earning $90+/day must include all people, including children and elderly non-workers. $90 for a full day of work is basically minimum wage in the US and I'm sure in many western countries.

I have 4 kids. They earn nothing (they go to primary school). Do they count in that large number of people earning nothing? That's a little misleading.

RHP Member No.16

Moves
17 Mar 16

Originally posted by normbenign
Smart phones are virtually free or low cost. Rates aren't much different or not different at all for dumb phones.

Almost nobody has a home phone anymore, or an answering machine. The kids all have smart phones. Prices are way down and dropping. There are family plans with most carriers, and there really isn't a need for the old home phone.
What about fax machines? Don't you need a land line for those, or are they wi-fi now too? You can probably tell that I'm on the trailing edge of new technology.... :-)

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
17 Mar 16

Originally posted by mwmiller
What about fax machines? Don't you need a land line for those, or are they wi-fi now too? You can probably tell that I'm on the trailing edge of new technology.... :-)
Most people use a scanner and e-mail to send documents now.

Cape Town

Moves
17 Mar 16

$90 for a full day of work is basically minimum wage in the US and I'm sure in many western countries.
Does the adult, working age, western world constitute 1% of the worlds population, or did the video get the stats wrong?

Cape Town

Moves
17 Mar 16

Fax machines are pretty rare nowadays.

I have a land line because my internet is ADSL which relies on a line and I pay a tiny bit extra to have voice as well. Landline calls are still cheaper than cell phone so I do use it occasionally. Some suburbs are now getting optic fibre which will not only provide faster internet but also voice calls. So it will still be a fixed line system, just optic fibre instead of copper.

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
17 Mar 16

What's a fax machine?

n

The Catbird's Seat

Moves
17 Mar 16

Fax machines require a land line, but they are antiquated technology. Documents can be sent as internet attachments much faster, and more securely.

You could send a book sized document in a few minutes, and it doesn't even have to be printed. I can be viewed by anyone on the recipient's network.

n

The Catbird's Seat

Moves
17 Mar 16

Originally posted by twhitehead
Does the adult, working age, western world constitute 1% of the worlds population, or did the video get the stats wrong?
Obviously, both wages and cost of living, as well as living standards differ widely depending on where you are on the planet.

Skills of "average workers" also differ wildly.

n

The Catbird's Seat

Moves
17 Mar 16

What's a fax machine?
Those of us in large US metropolises are sometime ignorant of how far behind flyover country is. 😀

Guppy poo

Sewers of Holland

Moves
18 Mar 16

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
Most people use a scanner and e-mail to send documents now.
A scanner??
So 90's!
We just take a photo with our phones and app it.