I Miss The Military

I Miss The Military

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s
Don't Like It Leave

Walking the earth.

Moves
01 Jan 13

I don't know that this OP is going to engender a great deal of discussion, but anyway...

I miss the life. I do. I miss it alot. Money's fine, house, car...there's nothing like the brotherhood.

To us and those like us. Damn few left.

j

Dublin Ireland

Moves
01 Jan 13

Originally posted by sasquatch672
I don't know that this OP is going to engender a great deal of discussion, but anyway...

I miss the life. I do. I miss it alot. Money's fine, house, car...there's nothing like the brotherhood.

Stand at ease Sgt.

You put in your time. You ain't got nothing to be ashamed of.

Service done and be proud.

In my experience, doing various jobs it's all about friendship
brotherhood and connections made. If you have made good
connections, then that's all good.

Moves
01 Jan 13

Some of the best posts draw little comment but deserve much approval. Thank you for your service.

s
Don't Like It Leave

Walking the earth.

Moves
02 Jan 13

Originally posted by JS357
Some of the best posts draw little comment but deserve much approval. Thank you for your service.
You're welcome, sincerely, and thank you for what you've done. There are a lot of ways to be a good American.

s
Don't Like It Leave

Walking the earth.

Moves
02 Jan 13

Originally posted by johnnylongwoody
Stand at ease Sgt.

You put in your time. You ain't got nothing to be ashamed of.

Service done and be proud.

In my experience, doing various jobs it's all about friendship
brotherhood and connections made. If you have made good
connections, then that's all good.
Thanks Johnny. I appreciate it. Best wishes for the coming year.

b
Enigma

Seattle

Moves
02 Jan 13

You could always join the Montana militia...😀

D

Moves
03 Jan 13

s
Don't Like It Leave

Walking the earth.

Moves
03 Jan 13

The post that was quoted here has been removed
I didn't say the society was perfect. I'm well aware of the challenges my sisters-in-arms have faced and do face. they have earned my enduring respect. Nor did I claim that everyone's experience was positive. I myself have said more than once, "I'm glad I went in, and I'm glad I got out".

What I am saying is that I've never again found bonds of that strength. Even with my wife, she abhors guns and does not understand my affection for my former profession. How could she? She never did it.

By and large, you know what you're getting. You're getting a common set of beliefs, a common ethos, a reinforcing support system that nonetheless expects you to perform. Out here, it's every man for himself. It's different.

I think one of the biggest things wrong with our society is that so little is expected of us. That should change. I do believe you should be required to contribute. Two years' compulsory service. Doesn't have to be military. AmeriCorps. Peace Corps. Something.

D

Moves
03 Jan 13
1 edit

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
03 Jan 13

I didn't say the society was perfect. I'm well aware of the challenges my sisters-in-arms have faced and do face. they have earned my enduring respect. Nor did I claim that everyone's experience was positive. I myself have said more than once, "I'm glad I went in, and I'm glad I got out".

What I am saying is that I've never again found bonds of ...[text shortened]... sory service. Doesn't have to be military. AmeriCorps. Peace Corps. Something.
What is the difference between that and the common set of beliefs, common ethos, and reinforcing support system of, say, the Waffen SS? Not to make light of your service, but I think those kind of bonds tend to be endemic of hierarchical, authoritarian groups, like the military (of any country). Groups which stress pluralism or egalitarianism, by definition, do not forge those type of bonds. It seems to me that the pursuit for that type of tight kinship necessarily pushes one toward a certain ideological disposition that embraces hierarchy, inequality, the idea of servitude, etc. Taken to its extreme, it becomes an implicit yearning for fascism.

w

Moves
03 Jan 13

Originally posted by rwingett
, the idea of servitude, etc. Taken to its extreme, it becomes an implicit yearning for fascism.
Wut?

I find that the opposite is true. There is no reason to have a police state with a moral civil society. None. However, an immoral society demands tyrrany.

s
Don't Like It Leave

Walking the earth.

Moves
03 Jan 13

Originally posted by rwingett
What is the difference between that and the common set of beliefs, common ethos, and reinforcing support system of, say, the Waffen SS? Not to make light of your service, but I think those kind of bonds tend to be endemic of hierarchical, authoritarian groups, like the military (of any country). Groups which stress pluralism or egalitarianism, by definition ...[text shortened]... , the idea of servitude, etc. Taken to its extreme, it becomes an implicit yearning for fascism.
I admit that there's a hell of a lot of trust built into the system - a lot of trust in your superiors that they're ordering you to do the right thing. And more than one soldier has had their trust betrayed. But to be honest with you, the lack of ambiguity in your mission, the way you understand what you're supposed to be doing, being part of a team that has high cohesion, high morale, and high confidence it's those things. Probably every soldier believes that what they're doing is right; no one wants to regard themselves as evil. But it's not good vs. evil on a daily basis. In all honesty, it's about your brothers.

w

Moves
03 Jan 13

I admit that there's a hell of a lot of trust built into the system - a lot of trust in your superiors that they're ordering you to do the right thing. And more than one soldier has had their trust betrayed. But to be honest with you, the lack of ambiguity in your mission, the way you understand what you're supposed to be doing, being part of a team t ...[text shortened]... But it's not good vs. evil on a daily basis. In all honesty, it's about your brothers.
The way things are now I think it would be hard to know you are doing "good". I can understand defending your own country and home but to go out and tinker with regime change and nation rebuilding is a grotesque use of power. Then when ambassadors start being murdered and regimes turning into Isamic fundamentalist monsters for your trouble you start to question the sanity of it all.

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
03 Jan 13

Originally posted by whodey
Wut?

I find that the opposite is true. There is no reason to have a police state with a moral civil society. None. However, an immoral society demands tyrrany.
What you define as a "moral civil society" can only be achieved through some degree of tyranny. The tight bonds and common purpose that sasquatch describes do not spring up of their own accord. They are imposed by authoritarian figures in hierarchical groupings. A free and pluralistic society will tend toward looser social cohesion, or what you would call "an immoral society." Needless to say, though, I disagree with your usage of "moral" and "immoral."

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
03 Jan 13

It used to be the church hierarchies which imposed a common bond and purpose upon society. With the lessening of church influence in modern society, that yearning for a paternal, authoritarian father figure has been replaced to some extent by the various military units across the world. They have replaced the church in providing its members with a "purpose", "identity" and sense of belonging.