HS girl confronts bullies bullying another kid:

HS girl confronts bullies bullying another kid:

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MB

Moves
23 Jun 12

Originally posted by FMF
You are dodging my question which was a direct response to what you said in your post. Here it is again: Do you reckon children diagnosed as having a psychiatric or development disorder like ADHD should be subjected to "very harsh corporal punishment"? Let's widen it a bit: What about autistic children? Or children with clinical depression? What about mentally disabled children?
I never confined the discussion to ADHD and you know it, but you are attempting to. Stop omitting important parts of my quote. Your tactics are obvious to me and I won't allow you to omit important parts of my statement and get away with it.

MB

Moves
23 Jun 12

Originally posted by FMF
I contend that "corporal punishment" is physical violence. So, yes, as far as I am concerned, you have been talking about adults beating children in some of your posts above.
Answer the question.

If a child is beating another child how would you teach that child not to beat other children if he is desensitized to other methods of punishment? Teaching a child that inflicting pain on others might result in him feeling pain back is not necessarily a bad lesson to learn if other methods don't work. Would you allow the beatings to continue? What about fairness to the child victim?

F

Moves
23 Jun 12

Originally posted by Metal Brain
If a child is beating another child how would you teach that child not to beat other children if he is desensitized to other methods of punishment?
A violent child needs to be restrained, removed or excluded, not beaten.

Teaching a child that inflicting pain on others might result in him feeling pain back is not necessarily a bad lesson to learn if other methods don't work.

An adult inflicting pain on a child teaches it that it's ok for adults to inflict pain on a child, and that inflicting pain is what adults do when they become angry and frustrated.

Would you allow the beatings to continue?

Would you just keep beating the child if your violence didn't work?

F

Moves
23 Jun 12

Answer the question.

If a child is beating another child how would you teach that child not to beat other children if he is desensitized to other methods of punishment? Teaching a child that inflicting pain on others might result in him feeling pain back is not necessarily a bad lesson to learn if other methods don't work. Would you allow the beatings to continue? What about fairness to the child victim?
I did. I am typing as fast as I can.

F

Moves
23 Jun 12

I never confined the discussion to ADHD and you know it, but you are attempting to. Stop omitting important parts of my quote. Your tactics are obvious to me and I won't allow you to omit important parts of my statement and get away with it.
You mentioned ADHD specifically. So my question to you is, do you recommend physical violence being used against children who are "extremely impulsive and will not listen" because they have developmental disorders like ADDH, autism, clinical depression? You brought up the factor of tackling the effects of a developmental disorder by inflicting pain. I am asking you about it, not trying to "get away" with anything.

MB

Moves
23 Jun 12

Originally posted by FMF
A violent child needs to be restrained, removed or excluded, not beaten.

I agree those methods are preferable, but what if the child victim of the other child is sibling and the beatings continue despite your best efforts?

They have to live together. You can't keep them separated forever. Would you allow the beatings to continue because you are convinced your ineffective methods might work eventually? What about fairness to the child victim? Will you risk that child getting a concussion because you insist on prolonged trial and error experiments?

MB

Moves
23 Jun 12

Originally posted by FMF
You mentioned ADHD specifically. So my question to you is, do you recommend physical violence being used against children who are "extremely impulsive and will not listen" because they have developmental disorders like ADDH, autism, clinical depression? You brought up the factor of tackling the effects of a developmental disorder by inflicting pain. I am asking you about it, not trying to "get away" with anything.
Now you are trying to twist the quote and imply the extremely impulsive children are the ones with ADHD. That is a despicable tactic. You know full well I used the word "or". Stop trying to alter my quotes. These are the tactics of a bully and you know better, "tough guy".

F

Moves
23 Jun 12

I agree those methods are preferable, but what if the child victim of the other child is sibling and the beatings continue despite your best efforts?

They have to live together. You can't keep them separated forever. Would you allow the beatings to continue because you are convinced your ineffective methods might work eventually? What about fairness t ...[text shortened]... sk that child getting a concussion because you insist on prolonged trial and error experiments?
If the child is psychopathic to a degree as you seem to be suggesting, then yes they would have to be separated. That would address the "fairness to the child victim" issue, I suppose. Perhaps seeking treatment for the violent kid would be "fairness" too. In my experience, beating a child or inflicting pain just shows them that violence/inflicting pain is what people do. The fear that they might feel when they are themselves being beaten or caused pain, is just as likely to intensify the violent lashing out or the victimization of the sibling. I don't even endorse it as a "last resort" as some do.

F

Moves
23 Jun 12
3 edits

Now you are trying to twist the quote and imply the extremely impulsive children are the ones with ADHD. That is a despicable tactic. You know full well I used the word "or". Stop trying to alter my quotes. These are the tactics of a bully and you know better, "tough guy".
Ok, whatever you say. But forgive me if I ask again, because you brought ADHD up, not me, and you seem determined to talk of it no more. Here: Do you recommend "very harsh" physical violence being used against children with developmental disorders like ADHD, autism, clinical depression?

Here's what triggered my question: Metal Brain: ...some children have ADHD or be extremely impulsive and will not listen and their parents. These parents may have their children desensitized to some forms of corporal punishment that are seemingly harsh. These children may need [what you may consider] very harsh corporal punishment to curb their bad behavior. [A verbatim quote, not twisted at all]

F

Moves
23 Jun 12
2 edits

You should babysit a really difficult kid sometime. You may find yourself resorting to methods you never thought you would..
I'll ask this one again as you seem intent on dodging it and yet you raised the point [and it's a verbatim quote, not twisted at all]. What is this no-details babysitting anecdote about? What methods did you resort to that you thought you would never resort to?

MB

Moves
23 Jun 12

Originally posted by FMF
In my experience, beating a child or inflicting pain just shows them that violence/inflicting pain is what people do.
Quite often it is what people do. The child will learn that while attending school just as everybody does. It is not as though I'm endorsing violence as a preferred method and you know that. I'm just saying that the safety of another child is more important than a trial and error method that may not be effective.

What the child may learn is that justice cannot be eluded so easily and that it can be swift when it is deserved. To rule out corporal punishment in every circumstance is a mistake in my opinion. When I got whacks on the butt when I was in school it did not turn me into a violent person. It was not even because I was hurting anybody. I was just disrupting the classroom and annoying the teacher.

There is no evidence that corporal punishment turns all people to violence later in life. I believe that in severe cases it likely does, but I did not turn into a violent person because of Mr. Neff's paddle whacks on my butt. Your belief that corporal punishment teaches all kids to be violent later in life is pure theory. I am living proof that your theory is questionable.

All of your arguments are based on unproven theory. If you can show me some statistical data that is compelling I will look at it.

F

Moves
23 Jun 12

There is no evidence that corporal punishment turns all people to violence later in life.
No one has suggested it does.

All of your arguments are based on unproven theory. If you can show me some statistical data that is compelling I will look at it.

Your arguments are proven theories then?

F

Moves
23 Jun 12

Any answers to the questions about babysitting and developmental disorders, Metal Brain?

F

Moves
23 Jun 12

It is not as though I'm endorsing violence as a preferred method and you know that. I'm just saying that the safety of another child is more important than a trial and error method that may not be effective.
Wait. So you are only advocating corporal punishment in cases where the safety of one child is endangered by another?

What the child may learn is that justice cannot be eluded so easily and that it can be swift when it is deserved.

Who is to say it is "justice"? Who is to say it is "deserved"? What is the outcome of parents beating young children and inflicting pain on them when it is 'unjust' and not 'deserved'?

F

Moves
23 Jun 12

Your belief that corporal punishment teaches all kids to be violent later in life is pure theory.
I have said nothing of the sort.