1. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    29 Sep '22 07:29
    @shavixmir said
    Uh, yeah, like I have time to delve into hundreds of different sources to find the exact information you're looking for.

Which centuries had the most murders and theft per percentage of population.
    There you go.
    you got nothing moron
  2. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    29 Sep '22 08:081 edit
    @teinosuke said
    As far as recorded crime rates go, there was much less crime in the late nineteenth century than in the late twentieth.

Crime was rampant in the eighteenth and early nineteenth century, when Britain was governed by a secularised elite and saddled with a complacent clergy. Crime rates fell steadily over the course of the nineteenth century (falling by about half over the ...[text shortened]... in the 1960s. In 1990, recorded crime rates in Britain were ten times their nineteenth century peak.
    I suppose if your determined to force a correlation on to things you can.
    The late Victorian era was rife with child prostitution and industrial exploitation of children, alongside a surge in colonial expansion with its associated criminal acts.
    When you can be imprisoned or transported for stealing a loaf of bred or locked up in a workhouse for just being poor I guess crime rates as designated by the ruling elite will fall or rise depending on their will.
    All under the watchful eye and complicity of the church
    The late Victorian era also saw the rise of street based police forces which had become much more organised since the bow street runner type privateers of the 18th century.
    I would have thought ay societies crime rates are governed by the detection and punishment equation together with poverty / prosperity levels.
    If you have Sundays off and you can afford some nice clothes and pennies for the plate you are much less likely to engage in criminal activity. This is a period when the urbanisation process was settling down and society became more stable and populations less transient.
    The idea that the church or a belief in the Protestant version of god was a civilising influence whilst being used to rape and pillage Queen Victoria’s Imperial possessions is a really big stretch.
  3. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    29 Sep '22 10:55
    Just to let you know. Now I do have some time. But just can't be arsed.
  4. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    29 Sep '22 11:53
    @teinosuke said
    Patients shouldn't need to visit a doctor to get birth control. They should be able to buy contraceptive pills from a pharmacist without prescription.
    Certain forms of birth control like IUD or depo provera need to be administered by a doctor. Depo, which my wife is on, is administered via shot every three months, IUDs are inserted by a doctor, which is effective for five years.

So again: should a doctor be allowed to deny birth control for religious reasons? You dodged answering this. You also dodged answering if doctors should be allowed to deny vaccinations based on "morals" not supported by science, like doctors who make decisions based on their faith.

I think the reason you've dodged these questions is because you can see the dire consequences of allowing non-scientific decisions dictate medical procedures.
  5. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    29 Sep '22 12:03
    @vivify said
    Certain forms of birth control like IUD or depo provera need to be administered by a doctor. Depo, which my wife is on, is administered via shot every three months, IUDs are inserted by a doctor, which is effective for five years.

So again: should a doctor be allowed to deny birth control for religious reasons? You dodged answering this. You also dodged answering if d ...[text shortened]... e you can see the dire consequences of allowing non-scientific decisions dictate medical procedures.
    Don't talk about dodging when you dodge answering how you want to mess with the lives of doctors vastly more qualified than you who choose not to bend to your brain farts and of course messing with the lives of the patients who are very happy dealing with those same doctors.

How far are you willing to go to destroy their lives and the lives of those that deal with them. All of these people not harming you in anyway.
  6. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    29 Sep '22 12:061 edit
    @teinosuke said
    No, it doesn't, since terror and torture have also been committed in the name of secular ideologies. While life in theocratic Iran would be extremely unpleasant, I'd rather live there than in Mao's China or Stalin's Russia.
    Violence in secular societies doesn't defend violence made in the name of religion. That's a logical fallacy.

Human history is littered with atrocities made by devout, religious groups who committed atrocities in the name of their religion. Claiming that religion makes societies safer is disproven merely by opening history books.

I stand by my original point. It's safer to walk down a street in Egypt than in Brazil.

That's mere cherry-picking. It's safer to live in secular Japan than in the much more religious United States.
  7. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    29 Sep '22 12:18
    @vivify said
    Violence in secular societies doesn't defend violence made in the name of religion. That's a logical fallacy.

Human history is littered with atrocities made by devout, religious groups who committed atrocities in the name of their religion. Claiming that religion makes societies safer is disproven merely by opening history books.

[b]I stand by my original point. It's ...[text shortened]... cherry-picking. It's safer to live in secular Japan than in the much more religious United States.
    What do you think should happen to doctors that disagree with your diagnoses and medical theories?

What should happen to the patients happy with their doctor when their doctor disagrees with your dream feelings?

What are your medical qualifications and why do you think your qualifications over-ride the opinions and qualifications of actual doctors?

vivfy: dodge, dodge, dodgey dodge dodge
  8. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    29 Sep '22 12:25
    @wajoma said
    What do you think should happen to doctors that disagree with your diagnoses and medical theories?

What should happen to the patients happy with their doctor when their doctor disagrees with your dream feelings?

What are your medical qualifications and why do you think your qualifications over-ride the opinions and qualifications of actual doctors?

vivfy: dodge, dodge, dodgey dodge dodge
    What should happen is that you should be dragged out and shot.
    You're polluting life as we know it and even the koalas are sick of you.
  9. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    29 Sep '22 15:25
    https://www.nbcnews.com/nbc-out/out-politics-and-policy/lgbtq-italians-alert-right-wing-alliance-triumphs-election-rcna49593

LGBTQ Italians on alert as right-wing alliance triumphs in election

Nationalist leader Giorgia Meloni, who is set to become Italy’s first female premier, has denounced what she calls “gender ideology” and “the LGBT lobby.”

The triumph of a right-wing alliance in Italy’s election has raised concern among LGBTQ advocates, who fear nationalist leader Giorgia Meloni could adopt anti-gay policies as prime minister and set back their efforts to boost equality.
  10. Joined
    13 Mar '07
    Moves
    30 Sep '22 08:321 edit
    @kevcvs57 said
    I suppose if your determined to force a correlation on to things you can.
    I agree with some of your points (for instance, it's certainly an important fact that populations were become less transient). But I'd take issue with most of them:

The late Victorian era was rife with industrial exploitation of children

This had been true since the late eighteenth century and remained true in the early Victorian era, but reforming legislation began to take steps to address the problem thereafter. Of course it wasn't solved entirely, but it was very much better to be a child, even a poor child, in 1900 than in 1840.

https://www.bl.uk/romantics-and-victorians/articles/child-labour

Further progress was made towards the end of Victoria's reign. The Factory Act of 1878 prohibited work before the age of 10 and applied to all trades. It was bolstered by the Education Act of 1880, which introduced compulsory schooling up to the age of 10. Subsequent amendments raised the school-leaving age to 12, with dispensations to leave before this age if pupils reached the required standards in reading, writing and arithmetic. By the end of Victoria's reign, almost all children were in school up to the age of 12. This helped to ensure that a marked improvement in child welfare occurred between the beginning and end of Victoria's reign.

When you can be imprisoned or transported for stealing a loaf of bread...

Which you could in 1799, but not in 1899. Transportation ceased to be a punishment in the 1850s. Indeed, the trend over the course of the nineteenth century was that punishments became steadily less draconian. In 1810, Sir Samuel Romilly could declare that "[there is] no country on the face of the earth in which there [have] been so many different offences according to law to be punished with death as in England"; there were, under the so-called "Bloody Code", more than 200 crimes punishable by death. By 1861, the number of capital crimes had been reduced to five. So punishment became notably less harsh during the Victorian era, and at the same time public order conspicuously improved.

The late Victorian era also saw the rise of street based police forces which had become much more organised.

The Metropolitan Police were established in 1829 (before Victoria came to the throne), as a decidedly light-touch alternative to heavy-handed military responses to public disorder in the early nineteenth century. With the exception of a small number of night patrols, Victorian police didn't even carry arms! The Peelite model of policing depended fundamentally on the consent of the citizenry, and late nineteenth-century Britain was astonishingly lightly policed by contemporary European standards.

I would have thought any societies crime rates are governed by the detection and punishment equation together with poverty / prosperity levels.

Needless to say, these things are both important, but they're not the only important factors. People's propensity to commit crime is in part a function of their beliefs (religious and otherwise). Other things being equal, a citizenship that has internalised ideas of virtue is much less likely to commit crime, and nineteenth-century religious activism played a crucial role in fostering those ideas widely.

The idea that the church or a belief in the Protestant version of god was a civilising influence whilst being used to rape and pillage Queen Victoria’s Imperial possessions is a really big stretch.

Earlier in the nineteenth century, William Wilberforce's devout Christianity had been the central motivating factor behind his ultimately successful push to abolish slavery.

As for the British empire, it was essentially the product of capitalism and strategic imperatives. That many of its proponents were motivated, too, by a measure of Christian idealism probably made it less brutal than it would have been otherwise. Compare Belgian King Leopold II's wholly commercial, and wholly disgusting imperial enterprise in the Congo.
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    30 Sep '22 08:38
    @shavixmir said
    Just to let you know. Now I do have some time. But just can't be arsed.
    Lol, same here 😆
  12. Joined
    13 Mar '07
    Moves
    30 Sep '22 11:16
    @vivify said

So again: should a doctor be allowed to deny birth control for religious reasons? You dodged answering this. You also dodged answering if d ...[text shortened]... e you can see the dire consequences of allowing non-scientific decisions dictate medical procedures.
    The examples are not comparable: neither prescribing birth control, nor administering a vaccination, requires a doctor to take active steps to end a life. It seems only reasonable that the law should admit conscientious objections when a substantial minority of the population actually regards abortion as equivalent to murder.

Doctors sometimes should and must make decisions on ethical grounds. The question of whether abortion is acceptable is an ethical one, not a scientific one (indeed, science fundamentally has no mechanism for answering moral questions). One doctor might be opposed to abortion on religious grounds; another might be opposed on similar human rights grounds to the West German court decision I cited - i.e., that the right to life is the most fundamental right and therefore the right of the unborn child to life trumps the mother's right to bodily autonomy. One might have no way of knowing why a particular practitioner has arrived at a particular moral judgement. Indeed, one probably shouldn't know; as Elizabeth I said, we should not seek "to make windows in men's souls".

Just for clarity's sake, I'm pro-choice myself, and I'm not a religious believer.
  13. Joined
    13 Mar '07
    Moves
    30 Sep '22 11:421 edit
    @vivify said

No one denies that many horrors have been committed in the name of religion - but the difficulty here is that we (by definition) can't see the crimes and atrocities that were prevented by religious strictures, since they didn't happen. How much social disorder over the centuries has been averted because someone thought "I won't steal or kill, because I'll go to hell if I do"?

There's a sense in which I think the evolution and persistence of religion is sufficient evidence that it has, on balance, made societies safer. If it hadn't, it wouldn't have survived.

That's mere cherry-picking. It's safer to live in secular Japan than in the much more religious United States.

True - and of course I accept that there are other factors at work (most obviously, real poverty is quite widespread in the US, and virtually non-existent in Japan).

I think the examples I gave, however, were more closely comparable: Cairo and Rio are two densely populated megacities in the developing world, both characterised by fairly widespread poverty and high levels of inequality. Neither (perhaps it should go without saying) is my idea of an ideal society.
  14. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    30 Sep '22 12:37
    @teinosuke said
    The examples are not comparable: neither prescribing birth control, nor administering a vaccination, requires a doctor to take active steps to end a life. It seems only reasonable that the law should admit conscientious objections when a substantial minority of the population actually regards abortion as equivalent to murder.
    This would mean that raped women, including minors, should be refused abortions based on the doctor's whim. I don't see how this is defensible.
  15. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    30 Sep '22 12:40
    @teinosuke said
    Just for clarity's sake, I'm pro-choice myself, and I'm not a religious believer.
    I'm glad this is the case.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree