Estate Taxes on the Super Wealthy

Estate Taxes on the Super Wealthy

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

M

Moves
30 Jul 10

Originally posted by KazetNagorra
So the "right" taxation, in your view, is the one which is the outcome of a democratic process?
whether or not it's "right", its the only POSSIBLE taxation in a democratic system (barring a violent revolution or coup).

K

Germany

Moves
30 Jul 10

Originally posted by Melanerpes
whether or not it's "right", its the only POSSIBLE taxation in a democratic system (barring a violent revolution or coup).
True, but I am interested in sh76's opinion on how taxation should be, not how it is.

HG

Moves
30 Jul 10
1 edit

The so called rich are going to see a tax raise without even looking at their fed taxes.. That will come in the form of S.S. payments (taxes )
right now, a man making alot of money, will hit the top end of the required FICA tax before the end of the year, which results in an added amount of money in the take home.. the bar raises every year now anyway,, but it will have to go much higher with baby boomers retiring.
To solve the possible shortage in the S.S. system,, the government has to raise the bar, which will bring in more money to pay benefits to those on S.S.
so in the long run, they will be paying more for FICA,, as well as being taxed at a higher rate.... so they will hit a double edged sword. For those who have reached this hurdle at a young age,, it will amount to paying much more money to the government,, with the possibility that the SS will go down anyway, before they retire...if that money wasn't being spent by our government on other things, it would make sense. However, the government must reel in their spending, before there just are no rich left, and there is no place to turn.
So the rich will find places to stock pile money,, IE Tax free bonds, property in other places,, tax shelters as it were....

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
30 Jul 10

So the "right" taxation, in your view, is the one which is the outcome of a democratic process?
"Right" is a loaded word. Certainly, a group of economists sitting around a table could probably figure out the optimal level of taxation better than a group of elected officials pandering to their constituents. Bit, like everything else in a democratic system, you leave policy to elected officials to avoid tyranny. So, yes, the "right" level of taxation is the outcome of a democratic process, even though it may not be the most efficient.

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
30 Jul 10

Originally posted by Hugh Glass
The so called rich are going to see a tax raise without even looking at their fed taxes.. That will come in the form of S.S. payments (taxes )
right now, a man making alot of money, will hit the top end of the required FICA tax before the end of the year, which results in an added amount of money in the take home.. the bar raises every year now anyway,, ...[text shortened]... to stock pile money,, IE Tax free bonds, property in other places,, tax shelters as it were....
FICA is one of the most unrealistically treated taxes in the US. It's one of the few regressive taxes that remain. The theory behind capping FICA at 100k is that FICA is really just putting money away for yourself later on. Once this meaningless fiction is dismissed, the reasons for capping FICA at 100k disappear.

q

Moves
30 Jul 10

Originally posted by sh76
FICA is one of the most unrealistically treated taxes in the US. It's one of the few regressive taxes that remain. The theory behind capping FICA at 100k is that FICA is really just putting money away for yourself later on. Once this meaningless fiction is dismissed, the reasons for capping FICA at 100k disappear.
FICA is not a meaningless regressive tax at all. The government refuses to pay benefits after a certain income level, so they should stop collecting taxes.

K

Germany

Moves
30 Jul 10

"Right" is a loaded word. Certainly, a group of economists sitting around a table could probably figure out the optimal level of taxation better than a group of elected officials pandering to their constituents. Bit, like everything else in a democratic system, you leave policy to elected officials to avoid tyranny. So, yes, the "right" level of taxation is the outcome of a democratic process, even though it may not be the most efficient.
Which is the most efficient? The tax system supported by economists? Efficient at achieving what?

Chief Justice

Center of Contention

Moves
30 Jul 10

Originally posted by zeeblebot
you might have said: The income tax is a tradeoff vs. the right to keep the money you earn.
Or, rather, your ability to earn whatever money you do is at least partially contingent upon there being a functioning state that provides an infrastructure, a judiciary with enforcement powers, a military, etc. You don't earn ex nihilo; as libertarians typically forget when they start blathering about the minimal state. If you endorse being able to work, then consistency demands you endorse the conditions necessary for that work.

Chief Justice

Center of Contention

Moves
30 Jul 10

Originally posted by Palynka
And as usual the discussion ends in what is "reasonable" and therefore the principle is pointless as "reasonability" is a subjective concept.
There are other ways to start. To say we have a right to property is (in this discussion) minimally to say we have a right against certain types of interference, and that this should be enforced. So, what are the general conditions needed to ensure against interference? Military power, police protection, a judiciary that enforces contracts, etc. How much do those cost? But suppose we mean more than this. Suppose we take the right to property to also include the right to a minimal standard of living. So it is not just that we have the right to keep whatever stuff we fairly acquire or purchase, but the right to have provided at least some of the basics. Then, of course, the costs associated with ensuring such a right go up. The point here is that we can't get clear on a 'reasonable' degree of taxation until we figure out just what we want the right to property to do.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
30 Jul 10

Originally posted by bbarr
There are other ways to start. To say we have a right to property is (in this discussion) minimally to say we have a right against certain types of interference, and that this should be enforced. So, what are the general conditions needed to ensure against interference? Military power, police protection, a judiciary that enforces contracts, etc. How much d ...[text shortened]... onable' degree of taxation until we figure out just what we want the right to property to do.
I agree entirely, but I have the feeling I'm missing something. Were you just agreeing with me and adding some thoughts?

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
30 Jul 10

Which is the most efficient? The tax system supported by economists? Efficient at achieving what?
Efficient at achieving the maximum level of productivity and comfort of and for the maximum number of people.

Chief Justice

Center of Contention

Moves
30 Jul 10
1 edit

Originally posted by Palynka
I agree entirely, but I have the feeling I'm missing something. Were you just agreeing with me and adding some thoughts?
I agree that we don't have to start with some unanalyzed notion of 'reasonable' in order to determine the forms and rate of taxation. It seems to me that that discussion has to come after we get clear on what we think the function of the state is. If it is simply there to secure non-interference, and rights are accordingly conceived negatively (as the libertarians would have it), taxes will be lower than if we think the state should help to create fair conditions of competition and cooperation where everybody has a roughly equal or good enough shot at success (as the classical liberalists would have it). Shouting about theft and desert doesn't really do much but entrench unarticulated philosophical differences in debates like this. We can start with what is conceptually more fundamental.

HG

Moves
30 Jul 10

"Now what liberty can there be where property is taken without consent??" -- Samuel Adams, founding father and leader of the Boston Tea Party

M

Moves
30 Jul 10

Efficient at achieving the maximum level of productivity and comfort of and for the maximum number of people.
....in a society where each person has his or her own definition of "productivity" and "comfort" -- so even the best economists will never come up with THE most efficient tax system.

on the other hand - the politicians are pretty much guaranteed to come up with THE most contorted tax system.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
30 Jul 10
1 edit

Originally posted by bbarr
I agree that we don't have to start with some unanalyzed notion of 'reasonable' in order to determine the forms and rate of taxation. It seems to me that that[i/] discussion has to come after we get clear on what we think the function of the state is. If it is simply there to secure non-interference, and rights are accordingly conceived negatively (as the ...[text shortened]... fferences in debates like this. We can start with what is conceptually more fundamental.
Exactly my sentiment. Well put, bbarr.