double jeopardy

double jeopardy

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

silicon valley

Moves
11 Jul 10

after being acquitted on state charges, two of the cops in the Rodney King incident were convicted on federal charges and were sentenced to 30 months.

how is this not double jeopardy?

why not try all inmates twice, once each on state and federal charges? then we could keep them in prison longer!!!

Hristos voskrese

feckin' 'ell

Moves
11 Jul 10

Originally posted by zeeblebot
after being acquitted on state charges, two of the cops in the Rodney King incident were convicted on federal charges and were sentenced to 30 months.

why not try all inmates twice, once each on state and federal charges? then we could keep them in prison longer!!!
Didn't the US supreme court say that subsequent federal prosecution does not apply to the double jeopardy clause.

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
11 Jul 10

Trials by separate sovereigns are not considered double jeopardy. As the state of California and the United States are considered separate sovereigns, the double jeopardy rule does not bar the second prosecution.

silicon valley

Moves
11 Jul 10

well, then. why not try EVERY serious criminal offense twice?

law and order! that's what i say!

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
11 Jul 10
1 edit

well, then. why not try EVERY serious criminal offense twice?

law and order! that's what i say!
In cases where the alleged crime is both a state and federal crime, there's nothing to stop that from happening.

Cape Town

Moves
11 Jul 10

Am I right that someone can also be tried on civil charges?
Isn't that what happened to O.J. Simpson?

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
11 Jul 10

Originally posted by twhitehead
It's not really considered being "tried" when one is sued, but yes, one can be sued for the same event after having been acquitted of criminal charges based on the same event. This, of course, makes sense, since there's a different standard of proof (beyond a reasonable doubt for crimes and preponderance of the evidence for civil actions).

The double jeopardy clause does not apply at all to civil actions. There's an analogous concept called "res judicata" that prevents someone from being sued twice for the same cause of action. However, that does not stop someone from being sued for a tort when having been acquitted of the criminal charges arising from the same event.

silicon valley

Moves
11 Jul 10

Originally posted by sh76
In cases where the alleged crime is both a state and federal crime, there's nothing to stop that from happening.
well, but how often does it happen?

if it's applied to police officers in proportions wildly different than their proportion in the general population, isn't that grounds for complaint of unequal treatment under the law?

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
11 Jul 10

well, but how often does it happen?

if it's applied to police officers in proportions wildly different than their proportion in the general population, isn't that grounds for complaint of unequal treatment under the law?
Yeah, cops gets screwed by the legal system in the US.

silicon valley

Moves
11 Jul 10

especially BART policemen.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
11 Jul 10

especially BART policemen.
Tell it to the jury.

P

weedhopper

Moves
14 Jul 10

King finally got some measure of justice when the Feds jumped in and convicted the cops of violating King's civil rights. When the system works (which is rare), it's a beautiful thing.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
14 Jul 10

Originally posted by twhitehead
Rodney King too.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
14 Jul 10

Originally posted by PinkFloyd
King finally got some measure of justice when the Feds jumped in and convicted the cops of violating King's civil rights. When the system works (which is rare), it's a beautiful thing.
I thought it was a civil lawsuit. Was it the Feds?

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
14 Jul 10

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
I thought it was a civil lawsuit. Was it the Feds?
There was both a Federal criminal trial and a civil trial. In the first, two of the cops were convicted of violating King's civil rights and sentenced to 30 months in federal prison. In the second, King was awarded damages of $3.8 million.