1. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    21 Mar '19 16:151 edit
    @js357 said
    However, education can enlighten you on the various situations in which pregnancies occur and decisions are made (such as rape/incest) the technical aspects of abortion (such as the ‘when life begins’ question), the development of the zygote, chemical versus surgical abortion, ‘morning after’ treatments; etc. Education can help you be more effective in promoting your interests, whichever side you are on.
    I believe abortion should be legal so I personally would agree with the form of education you would present. But I am sure others (and not due to a lack of education) would disagree. Perhaps they would explain that fetuses are alive and feel pain, or that abortion causes psychological damage to the mother and others in the family. Some might find selective abortion to be overt discrimination; others might believe that women should not be forced to use abortion as contraception, some would argue that doctors should not be encouraged to practice medicine to terminate life, that abortion creates a culture where life is disposable or that abortion disproportionately affects certain racial or socio-economic groups.
    I personally don't find these anti-abortion arguments convincing. But I am fairly confident that individuals who find these argument convincing wouldn't be swayed by your arguments either.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Mar '19 18:581 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

3. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    21 Mar '19 19:35
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Just because people might have a disagreement on a non-issue (whether the world is flat) does not mean that all disagreements are non-issues.
  4. SubscriberAverageJoe1
    Gimme It! Free Stuf!
    Lake Como
    Moves
    21 Mar '19 19:48
    @quackquack [i]said[/i
    If you believe abortion is the killing of a living thing and therefore morally wrong you will not agree that it is a permissible medical choice. Similarly if you believe that death is a legitimate punishment for certain heinous crimes then you will not believe it is murder.
    Your statement above is flawed, because the definition of ‘Murder’ is ‘the UNLAWFUL killing of a human being by another

Punishing a heinous criminal by killing him is thus not murder, as it would be killing him legally..
  5. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    21 Mar '19 21:118 edits
    @averagejoe1 said
    Your statement above is flawed, because the definition of ‘Murder’ is ‘the UNLAWFUL killing of a human being by another

Punishing a heinous criminal by killing him is thus not murder, as it would be killing him legally..
    So, thank you for finally admitting that abortion is not murder and that you have been bearing false witness and lying all along against others here whom chose, think, and know, that abortion is not murder; and by you calling them murderers and baby killers all along makes you a LIAR BOY. LOL, what an idiot. lol So, LIAR JOE BOY is your new name liar joe boy. LIAR JOE BOY!!! lol, perfect!
    Anyhoots; Question for you, Was Jesus murdered? They killed (murdered) Him for being a criminal; however, He was innocent; as many others were and are who get the death penalty today. So, was Jesus murdered now that you know He was innocent? Or, was His murder okay because the law at that time was followed?
  6. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    21 Mar '19 21:23
    @quackquack said
    Just because people might have a disagreement on a non-issue (whether the world is flat) does not mean that all disagreements are non-issues.
    You previously said “There were always some issues like abortion, death penalty and gun control which there seemed to be diametrically opposed views”.

If members of a society have diametrically opposed views on significant issues, but can reach agreement on permissible and impermissible acts, they and their society will be less vulnerable to manipulation. This necessitates some tolerance, even acceptance as a ‘feature’ of their democracy, a degree of moral ambiguity (or diversity) and political gradualism.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Mar '19 22:071 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    21 Mar '19 22:24
    @shallow-blue said
    Ever heard of loving thine enemy?
    It interesting to see you post this.
  9. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    21 Mar '19 22:49
    @whodey said
    Is destruction always bad?
    No. There is such a thing as creative destruction, clearing out dead wood to facilitate new growth. Of course, there must be restraints, and that is where most revolutionaries and wanna-be revolutionaries get it wrong.
  10. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    22 Mar '19 00:07
    @js357 said
    If I had my druthers, this forum would be labeled “Discussion” or “Current Events.” Not to be policed any differently, just to avoid assuming that actual debates happen here.

Note: The following is written from a US POV but the point is global. Visit the site before commenting, s’il vous plait.

“Yes, divisiveness is a weapon of mass destruction. It has the power to destr ...[text shortened]... he abyss.”

https://ctmirror.org/category/ct-viewpoints/divisiveness-a-weapon-of-mass-destruction/
    It is unlikely that renaming this forum would change either the content or the manner in which certain frequent posters to this forum address each other. No one who delves into it for more than a week can be in any doubt that debate, in the sense of a regulated discussion of propositions with time limits and alternating turns at the podium, does not occur here. It might as well be called the Scrum Forum.
  11. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    22 Mar '19 00:19
    @js357 said
    You previously said “There were always some issues like abortion, death penalty and gun control which there seemed to be diametrically opposed views”.

If members of a society have diametrically opposed views on significant issues, but can reach agreement on permissible and impermissible acts, they and their society will be less vulnerable to manipulation. This ...[text shortened]... a ‘feature’ of their democracy, a degree of moral ambiguity (or diversity) and political gradualism.
    I'd argue that the mere fact that issues are controversial means that society does not have an agreement on what should be permissible or impermissible. Would you really just accept that society adopted a view that you don't agree with on an important issues (say legalization of slavery)? If society adopted what you believed to be the wrong stance on an issue, would you want it to be an open issue or for there to be consensus on the wrong stance?
  12. SubscriberAverageJoe1
    Gimme It! Free Stuf!
    Lake Como
    Moves
    22 Mar '19 01:35
    @kingdavid403 said
    So, thank you for finally admitting that abortion is not murder and that you have been bearing false witness and lying all along against others here whom chose, think, and know, that abortion is not murder; and by you calling them murderers and ...[text shortened]... w that you know He was innocent? Or, was His murder okay because the law at that time was followed?
    Hi, King. You are totally right with your positions on abortion. I got it all written down. But, there is another issue you raise on occasion,,,,,God. Do you notice that Beto nor any demo candidate ever mentions God, and yet, references to God pour forth from the Republican candidates? Sure sets my mind to 'a thinkin....
  13. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    22 Mar '19 02:011 edit
    @averagejoe1 said
    Hi, King. You are totally right with your positions on abortion. I got it all written down. But, there is another issue you raise on occasion,,,,,God. Do you notice that Beto nor any demo candidate ever mentions God, and yet, references to God pour forth from the Republican candidates? Sure sets my mind to 'a thinkin....
    LOL, oh yeah, I hear Trump talking about God all the time! NOT! LOL Talking about God out of one side of their mouths; and then, stealing children out of the arms of poor women seeking refuge from violence for themselves and their babies. The list goes on and on. Here's a couple scriptures for you to ponder.
    [Matthew 7:22 NKJV] 22 "Many will say to Me in that day, 'Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?' 23 "And then I will declare to them, 'I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!' Sound like many Republicans are attempting to get votes and look holy.
    24 "Therefore whoever hears these sayings of Mine, and does them, I will liken him to a wise man who built his house on the rock:
    [James 2:19 NKJV] 19 You believe that there is one God. You do well. Even the demons believe--and tremble!

Talk is cheap liar Joe, actions mean everything. Even the demons believe in God; and tremble at the thought of Him; because they know their end.
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    22 Mar '19 02:11
    @averagejoe1 said
    Republicans are hypocrites?

Just what I was thinking.
  15. SubscriberAverageJoe1
    Gimme It! Free Stuf!
    Lake Como
    Moves
    22 Mar '19 02:25
    @kingdavid403 said
    LOL, oh yeah, I hear Trump talking about God all the time! NOT! LOL Talking about God out of one side of their mouths; and then, stealing children out of the arms of poor women seeking refuge from violence for themselves and their babies. The list goes on and on. Here's a couple scriptures for you to ponder.
    [b][Matthew 7:22 NKJV] 22 "Many will say to Me in that da ...[text shortened]... ng. Even the demons believe in God; and tremble at the thought of Him; because they know their end.
    You are right, except, only 3% of the people at the border qualify for asylum. You are off about 97%.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree