Burkini ban overturned by French court

Burkini ban overturned by French court

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
26 Aug 16

http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/26/europe/france-burkini-ban-court-ruling/

Congratulations to the French court system for, at least this once, protecting the rights of its citizens.

rc

Moves
26 Aug 16

Originally posted by sh76

Congratulations to the French court system for, at least this once, protecting the rights of its citizens.
ummm I find it not a little intimidating to counsel a lawyer on facets of law but the ban has not been overturned, its merely been put on hold until the courts decide the legality of it.

The ruling from the state council suspends a single decree against full-body swimsuits issued by the mayor in the southern resort of Villeneuve-Loubet, near Nice. But it is likely to set a precedent for other towns that have banned the swimwear on their beaches.

The state council ruled that the mayor did not have the right to issue a burkini ban – stating that local authorities could only restrict individual liberties if there was a “proven risk” to public order. It believed that proven risk had not been demonstrated.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/aug/26/frances-highest-court-suspends-burkini-ban-in-test-case

That will be 1200 pounds Sterling, legal fees please! 😛

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
26 Aug 16

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
ummm I find it not a little intimidating to counsel a lawyer on facets of law but the ban has not been overturned, its merely been put on hold until the courts decide the legality of it.

The ruling from the state council suspends a single decree against full-body swimsuits issued by the mayor in the southern resort of Villeneuve-Loubet, near Nice. ...[text shortened]... rt-suspends-burkini-ban-in-test-case

That will be 1200 pounds Sterling, legal fees please! 😛
From the article you cited:

"The state council ruled that the mayor did not have the right to issue a burkini ban – stating that local authorities could only restrict individual liberties if there was a “proven risk” to public order. It believed that proven risk had not been demonstrated."

While the ruling could be reversed, the court clearly demonstrated that it believed that the ban was a violation of individual rights.

rc

Moves
26 Aug 16

"The state council ruled that the mayor did not have the right to issue a burkini ban – stating that local authorities could only restrict individual liberties if there was a “proven risk” to public order. It believed that proven risk had not been demonstrated."

While the ruling could be reversed, the court clearly demonstrated that it believed that the ban was a violation of individual rights.
I don't think its been proven or disproven whether the ban is actually a violation of an individuals rights. It appears to hinge on a proven risk to public order and this is why the French courts have temporarily suspended the ban to test the case. Its difficult to see how wearing religious garb may be construed as effecting a risk to public order but in view of the recent events in France any association with Islam and its ideology may reasonably be subjected to scrutiny. Its interesting and early days yet, lets see what transpires. 😀

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
26 Aug 16

I don't think its been proven or disproven whether the ban is actually a violation of an individuals rights. It appears to hinge on a proven risk to public order and this is why the French courts have temporarily suspended the ban to test the case. Its difficult to see how wearing religious garb may be construed as effecting a risk to public order b ...[text shortened]... ably be subjected to scrutiny. Its interesting and early days yet, lets see what transpires. 😀
=== Its difficult to see how wearing religious garb may be construed as effecting a risk to public order ===

This, in your words, is the compelling case for the overturn of the ban.

rc

Moves
26 Aug 16
1 edit

=== Its difficult to see how wearing religious garb may be construed as effecting a risk to public order ===

This, in your words, is the compelling case for the overturn of the ban.
Easy there. . . . but in view of the recent events in France any association with Islam and its ideology may reasonably be subjected to scrutiny 😀

Lord

Sewers of Holland

Moves
26 Aug 16

It's a proven risk to fashion and taste.

D

Moves
26 Aug 16

p

Moves
26 Aug 16
1 edit

The post that was quoted here has been removed
It is not what France can do for its minorities ,it is what the minorities can do for France .( Phil300 26 August 2016)

D

Moves
26 Aug 16

p

Moves
26 Aug 16

So .it's you giving me the thumbs down .( shock ,horror ).

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
26 Aug 16

It doesn't seem to be much to celebrate about; the Court seems to have ruled based on Federalism issues. Based on what the French political leaders are saying, you can expect a national ban to be enacted shortly.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
26 Aug 16

The European Court of Human Rights upheld the French burqa and niqab ban in 2014.http://edition.cnn.com/2014/07/01/world/europe/france-burqa-ban/

I see little reason to believe that they wouldn't uphold a national ban on burkinas based on that precedent. Euro courts don't take Natural Rights very seriously relying on the more squishy concept of "human rights",

itiswhatitis

oLd ScHoOl

Moves
26 Aug 16

A victory for skimpy bikini gazers.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
26 Aug 16

I don't think its been proven or disproven whether the ban is actually a violation of an individuals rights. It appears to hinge on a proven risk to public order and this is why the French courts have temporarily suspended the ban to test the case. Its difficult to see how wearing religious garb may be construed as effecting a risk to public order b ...[text shortened]... ably be subjected to scrutiny. Its interesting and early days yet, lets see what transpires. 😀
RC: any association with Islam and its ideology may reasonably be subjected to scrutiny.

I don't suppose you see anything wrong with this statement which, in effect, endorses a Holy War against a segment of a nation's citizens merely because of the violent acts of a few. I'd call it "profiling" and/or "collective punishment" both of which are deeply offensive to any idea of freedom and limited government.