1. Garner, NC
    Moves
    02 May '11 20:20
    Originally posted by Metal Brain
    Just in cased you missed this in the other thread.

‎"So let me see if I got this right, the man accused of orchestrating a major attack on US soil, wasn't on the FBI's most wanted list, was supposedly in a cave for 10 years, who the rest of the world has reported dead for years, was finally caught, shot, and killed...no trial, no evidence, no pr ...[text shortened]... and his body was dumped into the ocean within 24 hours. Makes total sense." - Michael Salvi
    Hmm.

3 possibilities.

1. He was already dead.

There seem to be a lot of people in on the conspiracy to hide this fact. There are too many people discussing too many details of the last few months to make this plausible in my opinion.

2. He is not yet dead.

No way would Obama risk this. I didn't vote for Obama and I don't think he's nearly as smart as the NY Times suggests. However, he didn't get elected president by being this stupid. If a new bin Laden video shows up now that is proved to be filmed after his supposed death, that's a slam dunk against the US and Obama. Also, note, this would be easy for bin Laden to do if he were alive.

3. He was killed by Navy Seals as reported.

This seems the only plausible alternative.

Now, as far as dumping the body. What good is going to come from keeping the body? Within 48 hours, someone will be requesting the body and the US will appear calloused by not giving it. Then they have a big hero's funeral that will not be beneficial for the US cause.

As far as conspiracy theories, they're going to happen anyway. Few of us would actually see bin Laden's body other than photos or video (even if supposedly from live feed). Even if we saw it, few could confirm it was him. As long as bin Laden never turns up alive, what harm is there in conspiracy theories? Obama doesn't have to squash them. Who knows how many pictures of bin Laden were taken before he was buried at sea? Perhaps 1000 pictures were taken? Do we need 1000 more pictures taken on Tuesday to confirm the 1000 pictures taken on Monday? (Note: I'm not claiming there are 1000 pictures, just that we don't benefit from pictures on Tuesday to confirm the pictures taken on Monday. Whether we've seen them or not, they would have been taken for sure. And recall, most of us would only see pictures anyway. Obama can decide at any time to release photos that haven't been released yet. It took 3 years to get his birth certificate.)

Although I was surprised the body was disposed of quickly, I don't see how this is unreasonable nor inconsistent with what they claimed has transpired.
  2. Garner, NC
    Moves
    02 May '11 20:50
    Originally posted by ua41
    Oh crap, another victim of the media exaggerated cookie cutter political platter
    ARE YOU ON THE RIGHT? OR THE LEFT?
    It wasn't republicans or democrats who got the man. It was actual people
    Now maybe you guys can focus on fixing actual problems rather than fighting over the colors of your jerseys.
    Agreed, with one caveat.

I didn't vote for Obama and won't be voting for him in 2012. However, we should not fail to note that this took guts on the part of the president. Whether he did this out of principle or it was purely political and only accidentally did a good thing, it is still something that even his political opponents would agree is a good result.

Not to minimize the courage it took the Navy seals, Obama was the one to make the decision. Today, we're hearing CNN talk non stop about the death of bin Laden. Very easily we could be hearing CNN (or FoxNews) talk non stop about the botched attempt to get bin Laden. (and rest assured, if the mission was botched, no matter how well planned or how good the intelligence, there would be thousands of armchair quarterbacks explaining how stupid the whole plan was.) Who knows whether Obama wrung his hands behind closed doors before he finally said "do it" or whether he was confident and resolute. The fact is, he gave the order that took a risk and will take criticism even in success.

Up until 2009 we heard non stop about how stupid GWB was for not closing Gitmo. Now, we hear nothing. All the critics understand the question is not as easy as one would wish now that there is not as much need to feed the fantasy that Bush is as dumb as a stump.

It would be nice if there wasn't going to be a partisan gloating coming from this and we could all just freely enjoy that Obama got one right. But in spite of the ugly rhetoric that will come from this, I for one tip my hat to Obama.
  3. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    02 May '11 22:36
    Originally posted by techsouth
    Agreed, with one caveat.

I didn't vote for Obama and won't be voting for him in 2012. However, we should not fail to note that this took guts on the part of the president. Whether he did this out of principle or it was purely political and only accidentally did a good thing, it is still something that even his political opponents would agree is a good ...[text shortened]... But in spite of the ugly rhetoric that will come from this, I for one tip my hat to Obama.
    Very well said.
  4. 6yd box
    Moves
    02 May '11 22:52
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    They got him. We've got the corpse, or so the President says. USA WINS
    he died 6 or 7 years ago guys....this is all BS
    Just look at the facts please!
  5. Standard memberua41
    Sharp Edge
    Dulling my blade
    Moves
    02 May '11 23:292 edits
    Agreed, with one caveat.

I didn't vote for Obama and won't be voting for him in 2012. However, we should not fail to note that this took guts on the part of the president. Whether he did this out of principle or it was purely political and only accidentally did a good thing, it is still something that even his political opponents would agree is a good But in spite of the ugly rhetoric that will come from this, I for one tip my hat to Obama.
    So we associate bin Laden's death as one of Obama's successes. So all those years and labors of the serviceman, all the lives lost (innocent and guilty on every side) are swept under the rug of Obama's decision. I suppose I'm disgusted with politics. Only with politics does loss of lives mean a victory.

The U.S. gets attacked- shy of three thousand innocent lives are lost. Extremist, militant groups declare it a victory. Osama gets pinpointed as a global terrorist for carrying out the attack. War is initiated, and further innocent lives are lost (more than 8,000 Afghani civilians over the course of the decade and I'm sure the U.S./coalition troop number is even better documented and only adds to the toll) hunting down a group of people. Of one of these many casualties, one of them is Osama.
    Good result for Obama? Really?

It's a sad, sad world we live in were heads roll for political agendas and it is praised if they roll in the right direction.

Edit: Not to detract too much, but I found it particularly funny (misnomer probably. Irony maybe?) how you mention armchair quarterbacks in the same part of Obama giving the go decision.
  6. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    02 May '11 23:51
    Hmm.

3 possibilities.

1. He was already dead.

There seem to be a lot of people in on the conspiracy to hide this fact. There are too many people discussing too many details of the last few months to make this plausible in my opinion.

2. He is not yet dead.

No way would Obama risk this. I didn't vote for Obama and I don't think he's nearly ...[text shortened]... e how this is unreasonable nor inconsistent with what they claimed has transpired.
    I don't see it as inconsistent with what happened to bury the body at sea. However, I think they should have given his family (the ones who aren't wanted anyway) the option of receiving the body to dispose of as they saw fit. That's just common decency.
  7. Garner, NC
    Moves
    02 May '11 23:511 edit
    Originally posted by ua41
    So we associate bin Laden's death as one of Obama's successes. So all those years and labors of the serviceman, all the lives lost (innocent and guilty on every side) are swept under the rug of Obama's decision. I suppose I'm disgusted with politics. Only with politics does loss of lives mean a victory.

The U.S. gets attacked- shy of three thousand innocent ?) how you mention armchair quarterbacks in the same part of Obama giving the go decision.
    To keep with the analogy, if you can't see the difference between the coach that actually calls the plays for the game and the guy sitting in his living room critiquing after he has the luxury of seeing whether the play succeeds or not, then I guess the insight I'm trying to convey would be missed.

Edit: Obama was an armchair quarterback until Jan 20th, 2009. He found it was much easier to talk about closing Gitmo than doing it (among many other things).

One day you'll taste the burden of leadership, and I hope you'll think back to now.

Likewise, I hope you'll reflect on the difference between a child killed by a stray bullet in a war zone and someone such as Osama bin Laden who died as a result of his on decision to randomly kill thousands.
  8. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    03 May '11 00:07
    Originally posted by bill718
    oops...it seems I hit a nerve here. Pardon me for bringing this subject up, but GW Bush and the entire GOP were very arrogent and nasty in there language concerning the Liberals' inability to "keep America safe" for 8 years. Now, when someone reminds us that is President Obama and the Democrats that delivered Bin Laden, NOT GW Bush and the Republicans, we're ...[text shortened]... on the same team".

Get this straight. We are NOT going to be quiet. Deal with it!! 😏
    "Get this straight. We are NOT going to be quiet."

Good, and I'm glad that Obama continued Bush's policies, and had the cahones to send the Seals into Pakistan. If Clinton hadn't been so deferential to the Pakistanis, Bin Laden could have been room temperature before 9/11.
  9. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    03 May '11 00:09
    Originally posted by Kostenuik
    No you are wrong. Bush created a far worse situation for all involved and is a mass murderer just like the Israeli government and their invasion of Gaza. Obama has spent his time restoring peace, cleaning up Bush's mess and surprise.... achieving goals along the way.
    OMG, and I'm an atheist.
  10. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    03 May '11 00:13
    Originally posted by Kostenuik
    I'm not talking about the mess in America but their trails of blood around the globe. It's always been Obama's intentions to leave the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan and this is a big step towards those goals.
    Try looking at what the man does instead of listening to what the telepromter tells him to say.
  11. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    03 May '11 00:15
    Originally posted by Metal Brain
    Just in cased you missed this in the other thread.

‎"So let me see if I got this right, the man accused of orchestrating a major attack on US soil, wasn't on the FBI's most wanted list, was supposedly in a cave for 10 years, who the rest of the world has reported dead for years, was finally caught, shot, and killed...no trial, no evidence, no pr ...[text shortened]... and his body was dumped into the ocean within 24 hours. Makes total sense." - Michael Salvi
    "Michael Salvi["? or Machiavelli?
  12. 6yd box
    Moves
    03 May '11 00:43
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    I don't see it as inconsistent with what happened to bury the body at sea. However, I think they should have given his family (the ones who aren't wanted anyway) the option of receiving the body to dispose of as they saw fit. That's just common decency.
    not easy as he is already dead for 6-7 years
  13. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    03 May '11 01:06
    Originally posted by spurs73
    not easy as he is already dead for 6-7 years
    Thanks for sharing that information.
  14. Standard memberScotty70
    Maddog1213
    Central Office
    Moves
    03 May '11 01:38
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Try looking at what the man does instead of listening to what the telepromter tells him to say.
    One can say that the US just spent an enormous amount of money, time and manpower just putting the genie back in the bottle. It is well documented that Bin Laden and Saddam Hussein both worked for the CIA at one time or another until their support was pulled and they were left hanging out to dry.
    Add Mubarak to that list as well, the CIA was heavily behind his administration as well.
  15. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    03 May '11 01:521 edit
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    The Nuremberg condemned were cremated and their ashes spread out over the sea to avoid making shrines of their graves.

The same logic seems to apply here.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree