Barrister Hits Out Over Sexist Comment (article)

Barrister Hits Out Over Sexist Comment (article)

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Die Cheeseburger

Provocation

Moves
13 Sep 15

Originally posted by finnegan
Please provide some justification for the allegation of "categorical slander" explaining who you even imagine has been "categorically slandered" and perhaps a definition of your novel legalistic term.
We hardly have a legal system to fall back on here at RHP so please refer to any dictionary (NON-AMAZON) for the definition of 'categorical', I think you'll get the idea. While you're there check out 'slander'.

Here is the quote (again):

Finnegan: "Proudman has risked her career to make this protest and is earning not only the abuse of chauvenistic trolls like yourself but also a huge swell of support from women lawyers and others."

How have I abused Proudman? How was there any abuse in my post? You'd have trouble proving chauvinism on my part, but this accusation of 'abuse' is over the line.

So you have slandered my good name here finegan, as much as anyone can be slandered on an anonymous message board but it is slander none the less.

The great thing about these forums is that they are, to a large degree, libertarian. You and your control freak buddies can doof, eep and poop all the control freak noises you like but, you know what, no power to force your wet dreams on anyone. We have to deal with each other by mutual consent. But a consequence of that is a man has to rely on his integrity, and your accusation about my 'abuse' of Proudman is really not doing your raggedy integrity any good.

Time to unknot the panties and man up Finnegan.

Retract the statement, and show some balls (in a non-sexist way) with an apology.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
13 Sep 15

Originally posted by finnegan
Odd thing is that huge numbers of women have responded to this incident in a manner suggesting that what I wrote is not at all grandiose. It is you who is seeking to trivialise the matter and that of course is how harassment is defended.
🙄

To call this incident "harassment" is ridiculous.

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
13 Sep 15

The post that was quoted here has been removed
She has an legitimate minor complaint against Mr. Silk who probably ought to apologize.

She also has an enormous chip on her shoulder than she ought to get checked out.

From a business perspective (that is, after all, what Linkedin is about), I would not want to work with someone who bites the head off another person at an exceedingly minor provocation. That's my takeaway from the dialogue.

GENS UNA SUMUS

Moves
13 Sep 15

Originally posted by Wajoma
Quite simply this is a matter between Proudman, Carter-Silk and LinkedIn.

No reason for anyone other than these three parties, male or female, to get their knickers in a twist.
This post belittles what Proudman has done and as such merits my description: chauvenistic trolls like yourself

Z

Moves
13 Sep 15

Originally posted by no1marauder
I already said the comment was inappropriate. But my other comments stand as well.
and i ask again, where do you think the line beyond which someone in her position is overreacting? do you think that maybe constantly receiving sexual advances through linkedin might bring that line a bit closer?

do your other comments stand in the context of having received no sexual advances ever? becuase i agree, she would be overreacting a little if this was her very first sexual advance ever.

women get unwanted sexual advances. on the street, on public transportation. it isn't unreasonable for one of them to "snap" and go on a little tweeting rampage to vent and raise awareness.

Z

Moves
13 Sep 15

Originally posted by no1marauder
That seems rather absurdly grandiose. Woman puts picture on business oriented website, contacts man for business purposes, he makes an inappropriate comment, she goes on a crusade.

Doubt the world will change that much.

EDIT: And to label this incident "sexual harassment" seems to trivialize real cases of sexual harassment on the job.
sexual harassment has many degrees, just like one can steal a can of coke or a million dollars.

Z

Moves
13 Sep 15

Originally posted by Wajoma
We hardly have a legal system to fall back on here at RHP so please refer to any dictionary (NON-AMAZON) for the definition of 'categorical', I think you'll get the idea. While you're there check out 'slander'.

Here is the quote (again):

Finnegan: [i]"Proudman has risked her career to make this protest and is earning not only the abuse of chauvenistic ...[text shortened]... p Finnegan.

Retract the statement, and show some balls (in a non-sexist way) with an apology.
no no, you don't understand. he didn't said you harassed that particular woman.

he just said she made that public in order to raise awareness and to make mysoginists (of which group you happen to belong to) think twice before displaying similar behaviour.

it is addressed to both mysoginists who did this before and to ones who never had the balls to do it and are just looking for the right situation in which to safely display misogyny. like an online, anonymous forum

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
13 Sep 15

Originally posted by Zahlanzi
sexual harassment has many degrees, just like one can steal a can of coke or a million dollars.
Only by stretching the definition to the point of irrelevancy can one argue that saying that the picture of a person is "stunning" is sexual harassment.

D

Moves
13 Sep 15

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
13 Sep 15

Originally posted by Zahlanzi
and i ask again, where do you think the line beyond which someone in her position is overreacting? do you think that maybe constantly receiving sexual advances through linkedin might bring that line a bit closer?

do your other comments stand in the context of having received no sexual advances ever? becuase i agree, she would be overreacting a little if ...[text shortened]... nable for one of them to "snap" and go on a little tweeting rampage to vent and raise awareness.
Writing on the Internet that a picture is stunning is hardly a "sexual advance."

D

Moves
13 Sep 15
2 edits

D

Moves
13 Sep 15

D

Moves
14 Sep 15

D

Moves
14 Sep 15
1 edit

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
14 Sep 15

The post that was quoted here has been removed
She should have been appreciative that a man thought she looked attractive. To raise a hissy fit just shows her as a spoiled brat. 😏