Ban on feeding the homeless

Ban on feeding the homeless

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

w

Moves
27 Feb 10
1 edit

Apparently the city of MIami is considering banning people from giving food to the homeless in the city. They say it is in an effort to reduce litter and ensure people are only fed "good" food.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/02/26/miami-officials-consider-proposal-restrict-feeding-homeless/?test=latestnews

Of course, if one were to undergo "training" in feeding the homeless, they would be allowed to do so.

It would not surprise me if one day all privately run charities are banned in favor of only government sponsered welfare.

STS

Moves
27 Feb 10
1 edit

The city wants to require groups that are involved with giving food to the homeless to have some form of training to insure they don't serve spoiled food, leave trash after their free lunch brigade leaves, etc.

Claiming they want to ban feeding the homeless is misleading. Homeless advocacy groups are in support of the measure so there's no need to start wringing your hands you'll still get your free food.

M

Moves
27 Feb 10
1 edit

Originally posted by whodey
Apparently the city of MIami is considering banning people from giving food to the homeless in the city. They say it is in an effort to reduce litter and ensure people are only fed "good" food.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/02/26/miami-officials-consider-proposal-restrict-feeding-homeless/?test=latestnews

Of course, if one were to undergo "train ne day all privately run charities are banned in favor of only government sponsered welfare.
These are the same reasons you see when they ban you from feeding ducks and geese in the park. Perhaps Miami considers the homeless to be at the same level as waterfowl? 😀

Guppy poo

Sewers of Holland

Moves
27 Feb 10

It would not surprise me if one day all privately run charities are banned in favor of only government sponsered welfare.
Hopefully. That's why I pay taxes.

s
Democracy Advocate

Moves
28 Feb 10

Originally posted by Melanerpes
These are the same reasons you see when they ban you from feeding ducks and geese in the park. Perhaps Miami considers the homeless to be at the same level as waterfowl? 😀
...but the main reason is not to attract MORE waterfowl. Or homeless.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
28 Feb 10

Of course, if one were to undergo "train ...[text shortened]... ne day all privately run charities are banned in favor of only government sponsered welfare.
Isn't Florida a GOP state?

w

Moves
01 Mar 10

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
Isn't Florida a GOP state?
Yea, crazy, huh?

w

Moves
01 Mar 10
1 edit

Originally posted by shavixmir
Hopefully. That's why I pay taxes.
So you have no problem having statists come in and baning private charities?

TD8

Moves
02 Mar 10

You're telling me they won't reduce their carbon emissions by any serious international standard, but now they care so much about the environment that they're concerning themselves with the litter of homeless people?

And they don't trust the citizens to give them unspoiled food?

How is a fat politician in a position to tell a homeless person what they should and shouldn't eat?

This seems like a shameful disgrace.

w

Moves
02 Mar 10
1 edit

Originally posted by The Dude 84
You're telling me they won't reduce their carbon emissions by any serious international standard, but now they care so much about the environment that they're concerning themselves with the litter of homeless people?

And they don't trust the citizens to give them unspoiled food?

How is a fat politician in a position to tell a homeless person what they should and shouldn't eat?

This seems like a shameful disgrace.
I can't wait to see how the statist penalize those who do give food to the homeless who are not "authroized" to do so. It seems to me it should be like doing CPR.
Good Samaritan laws allow pretty much anyone to attempt saving those who need saved without worry of being sued.

M

Moves
02 Mar 10

I can't wait to see how the statist penalize those who do give food to the homeless who are not "authroized" to do so. It seems to me it should be like doing CPR.
Good Samaritan laws allow pretty much anyone to attempt saving those who need saved without worry of being sued.
Why not give credit to those statists who came up with the Good Samaritan laws?

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
02 Mar 10

Originally posted by Sam The Sham
The city wants to require groups that are involved with giving food to the homeless to have some form of training to insure they don't serve spoiled food, leave trash after their free lunch brigade leaves, etc.

Claiming they want to ban feeding the homeless is misleading. Homeless advocacy groups are in support of the measure so there's no need to start wringing your hands you'll still get your free food.
Sounds like a perfectly reasonable regulation to me.

Guppy poo

Sewers of Holland

Moves
02 Mar 10

So you have no problem having statists come in and baning private charities?
I think all charities should quit. And preferably sooner than later.

Their existence takes the responsibility away from government.

TD8

Moves
02 Mar 10

Originally posted by shavixmir
I think all charities should quit. And preferably sooner than later.

Their existence takes the responsibility away from government.
If I had to depend on the government in Toronto for food I'd be dead.

Organizations whose sole purpose is to feed hungry people can do that better than an organization whose purpose is to convince the population that they're feeding hungry people.

silicon valley

Moves
02 Mar 10

Originally posted by Sam The Sham

they don't already get that?

food lines around here have been shut down (maybe temporarily) for violating the food safety laws and failing health inspections, e.g., for not having the required number of sinks for washing dishes.