1. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    01 Mar '18 01:35
    Originally posted by @deepthought
    AK's don't take 50 cal ammo and Elephants aren't long extinct dinosaurs. Tyrannosaurus Rex probably weighed twice as much and since you need multiple shots from an elephant gun to kill an elephant, the chances are an AK wouldn't be enough to do one.

Send a message to this bloke on YouTube and see what he thinks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGWRe41quqE
    Why do you believe Trex is bigger?
  2. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    01 Mar '18 15:44
    Originally posted by .@athousandyoung
    Why do you believe Trex is bigger?
    I looked them both up on Wikipedia before posting, they're about the same height (male African elephant given as 3.2 metres at the shoulder and T. Rex given as up to 3.66 metres at the hips), but T. Rex was much longer (12.3 metres). There are weight estimates given, the smaller end, 8 tonnes, was slightly heavier than an elephant, 6 tonnes, and the upper estimate was 14 tonnes, so I wrote "twice the mass".
  3. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    01 Mar '18 16:54
    I think they are the same size.

https://www.amnh.org/exhibitions/dinosaurs-ancient-fossils-new-discoveries/theropod-biomechanics/the-problem-of-size/

The most famous of the upright, largely meat-eating dinosaurs called theropods, T. rex would have weighed between 5,000 and 7,000 kilograms (11,000 to 15,500 pounds) with skin and flesh on its huge bones. That's about as much as the largest African elephant.
  4. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    01 Mar '18 23:28
    Originally posted by @athousandyoung
    I think they are the same size.

https://www.amnh.org/exhibitions/dinosaurs-ancient-fossils-new-discoveries/theropod-biomechanics/the-problem-of-size/

The most famous of the upright, largely meat-eating dinosaurs called theropods, T. rex would have weighed between 5,000 and 7,000 kilograms (11,000 to 15,500 pounds) with skin and flesh on its huge bones. That's about as much as the largest African elephant.
    Wikipedia give several references, from research papers. They give a range of weights. The natural history museum page you referenced was more concerned with speed than mass, since they seem to be claiming it was slow going with the smaller weight figure would avoid objections based around giving the larger mass estimates, also they don't say where they got their figures from. So you've selected the smallest estimate of mass for your argument.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree