1. Subscriberkmax87
    Blade Runner
    Republicants
    Moves
    16 Apr '24 15:55
    @sleepyguy said
    You are saying the right wing doesn't want people to learn useful skills?
    If by useful skills you mean repetitive tasks that can be learned in half a day and can be paid for by a fraction of the living wage, then you've got that about right.
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    16 Apr '24 15:57
    @sleepyguy said
    I think what some are identifying as disdain for education is actually disdain for left wing "educators" who take perfectly good young people and try turning them into bitter Marxists with gender dysphoria instead of successful happy people. Conservatives do value knowledge and skill, but modern universities have increasingly become an unsafe place to send your kids to get ...[text shortened]... Peterson, Thomas Sowell, Milton Friedman and son on, but I'll bet they don't count for some reason.
    You mean, admired BY the right.

But then, the right admires Donald Trump, too, so there you go.

Being admired by the right doesn't say much for one's value as a human being.
  3. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    16 Apr '24 16:08
    @suzianne said
    Being admired by the right doesn't say much for one's value as a human being.
    Political opinions shouldn't say anything at all about a person's value as a human being ... smh
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    16 Apr '24 16:08
    @sonhouse said
    @Sleepyguy
    https://goodmenproject.com/featured-content/republicans-are-the-anti-education-party-and-proud-of-it/

https://www.quora.com/Why-does-getting-an-education-tend-to-turn-people-into-conservatives?top_ans=1477743698990190
    Quora is being completely disingenuous with that question.

Getting an education does NOT tend to turn people into conservatives. If anything, it tends to turn them into liberals by virtue of the fact that it gives them a wider view of the world beyond themselves. They become far less focused on themselves and they start to appreciate value in people and institutions outside the narrow, narcissistic focus they've had their entire lives up to that point.
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    16 Apr '24 16:11
    @sleepyguy said
    Political opinions shouldn't say anything at all about a person's value as a human being ... smh
    A conservative would say that. For rather obvious reasons.
  6. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    16 Apr '24 16:22
    @suzianne said
    A conservative would say that. For rather obvious reasons.
    OMG, you are just so superior. So laughable. Well as a human being I value you SuziQ, even though you're a dolt and we disagree on everything. Our shared humanity binds us together whether you like it or not.
  7. Standard memberspruce112358
    Democracy Advocate
    Moves
    16 Apr '24 17:34
    @sleepyguy said
    Our shared humanity binds us together whether you like it or not.
    Yes. And your locations indicate that you are both obligated to help protect one another's rights.
  8. Subscribermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    16 Apr '24 17:54
    @suzianne said
    Quora is being completely disingenuous with that question.

Getting an education does NOT tend to turn people into conservatives. If anything, it tends to turn them into liberals by virtue of the fact that it gives them a wider view of the world beyond themselves. They become far less focused on themselves and they start to appreciate value in people and institutions outside the narrow, narcissistic focus they've had their entire lives up to that point.
    Getting an education does NOT tend to turn people into conservatives. If anything, it tends to turn them into liberals by virtue of the fact that it gives them a wider view of the world beyond themselves.

Is anyone listening to this?
  9. SubscriberAverageJoe1
    Gimme It! Free Stuf!
    Lake Como
    Moves
    16 Apr '24 18:11
    @kevcvs57 said
    You do know that free is the natural state of things you dummy
    People are naturally free and knowledge passing between them freely is the natural state of things. If you make knowledge a commodity your simply creating a bottle neck and slowing down the flow of knowledge which leads to the retardation of its expansion.
    I mean you stupid MAGAs are getting your information from one very corrupt individual with a track record of outlandish lies
    Name me a respected countryman of the USA who would utter this sentence:

"Free is the natural state of things'. (The wind? It is free.)
    I don't know what you mean by things, of course, maybe you could tell us, but if it is what I think that you think it is, there is no question that it (whatever it is) will have been derived from having been produced, for lack of a better word, by one of our countrymen.
    Stat with me here, Kev.
  10. SubscriberAverageJoe1
    Gimme It! Free Stuf!
    Lake Como
    Moves
    16 Apr '24 18:141 edit
    @spruce112358 said
    Yes. And your locations indicate that you are both obligated to help protect one another's rights.
    Please give us an example, protecting someone's rights, on a given day?

Oh, and from whence does that obligation get imbued into me?
  11. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    16 Apr '24 18:201 edit
    @mchill said
    Is anyone listening to this?
    Are you listening to yourselves? Only liberals have a wider view of the world than just themselves while everyone else are just self centered navel-gazers with lower value as human beings.

You paid money for this education?
  12. Standard memberspruce112358
    Democracy Advocate
    Moves
    16 Apr '24 20:59
    @averagejoe1 said
    Please give us an example, protecting someone's rights, on a given day?

Oh, and from whence does that obligation get imbued into me?
    Yesterday, you paid for my rights to be protected for one more year.

And, yesterday, I paid for your rights to be protected. For one more year.

The obligation comes when you turned 18 and did not renounce your American citizenship. You could have said "I am no longer American," gone to sea, and avoided this obligation. Maybe there is even land somewhere on the planet where such obligations do not exist. I don't know. You have to go look.

But here, you have the obligation not just to be a good boy, but to help protect others from those who are NOT good boys.

We call that 'civilization.' We implemented it about 6000 years ago.
  13. Standard memberspruce112358
    Democracy Advocate
    Moves
    16 Apr '24 21:16
    Americans are so poorly educated in civics - I've envisaged a ceremony which would happen on high school graduation day, everywhere in the country. Graduating seniors (roughly age 18) would be driven to the nearest border - Canada, Mexico, etc. and sat down for a short lecture.

"Today, you become American adults. As adults, you must now agree to society's conditions in order to remain in this country. If you do not agree, there is the border. Walk over it. You may not walk back except through the normal immigration process. (Full disclosure: Trump, if elected, has vowed to completely close this border and end immigration.)"

"The conditions are these:

1) You must agree to be good - from now until the end of your life.
    2) You must agree to help protect the rights of all others equally - from now until the end of your life.
    3) Apart from these conditions, you may do as you please as long as you do not harm, impose on, or place others at risk without their consent.

"If you agree to these terms, you may remain seated. If you do not agree, please rise and take your leave."

Talk about your valuable learning opportunities! And it is not even a website!
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    16 Apr '24 21:36
    @Sleepyguy
    One question: How much does the concept of empathy come into any conservative debate? Isn't conservative debate more about not spending money and getting rid of government regulations? I don't see much arguments from conservatives about actually say lowering the price of meds or helping students get lower cost educations and the like, instead they seem to concentrate on having more cops or make more laws to make more folks breaking laws.
  15. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    16 Apr '24 21:55
    @mchill said
    - that are FREE.

The right wing's war on higher education in America is failing because of this. No matter if you're an aspiring entrepreneur, blockchain coder, daycare operator, or Yoga teacher, these sites have the information you need.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K35YRuRsZR0
    https://aynrand.org/

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree