Norwegian diplomats trained in black metal

Norwegian diplomats trained in black metal

Culture

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
17 Jun 11

http://www.thegauntlet.com/article/1225/21849/Norwegian-Diplomats-Trained-In-Black-Metal

Does this add to Norway's awesomeness?

Discuss.

Moves
17 Jun 11
1 edit

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
http://www.thegauntlet.com/article/1225/21849/Norwegian-Diplomats-Trained-In-Black-Metal

Discuss.
If "awsomeness" equals "barbarity", yes.

Black Metal is just viking raping and pillaging translated to the auditive (I hesitate to call it "musical" ) domain. It's only awesome if you've never been at the wrong end of it. Uncultured savages, the lot of'em.

Richard

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
19 Jun 11

Discuss.
Yes, yes it does.
I wish the politicians around here just had a musical bone in their body, let alone get into black metal.

I've only heard of speed, death and heavy metal before.
I'm assuming it's called that because of it's lyrical content.

K

Germany

Moves
21 Jun 11

Discuss.
......................... Satan.

K

Germany

Moves
21 Jun 11
1 edit

Originally posted by karoly aczel
Yes, yes it does.
I wish the politicians around here just had a musical bone in their body, let alone get into black metal.

I've only heard of speed, death and heavy metal before.
I'm assuming it's called that because of it's lyrical content.
The name is (probably) derived from Venom's 1982 album "Black Metal".

I'm guessing you don't know it because you're American, and in the US the popularity of black metal is very limited. In Northern and Eastern Europe and France it's quite popular within the heavy metal subculture though. In Finland especially - probably the only country where heavy metal still has mainstream popularity.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
22 Jun 11

From the bowels! TARANTULA

http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail141.html

P

weedhopper

Moves
25 Jun 11

Discuss.
I know not this Black Metal you speak of, but Norway needs nothing to prove its awesomeness. Except for a brief falter during WW2 (Quisling), Norwegians have had great and brave leaders, magnificent composers, playwrights, and produced who I think is the greatest artist of all time.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
25 Jun 11

Black Metal = Heavy Metal + Satanism

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
26 Jun 11

Originally posted by KazetNagorra
The name is (probably) derived from Venom's 1982 album "Black Metal".

I'm guessing you don't know it because you're American, and in the US the popularity of black metal is very limited. In Northern and Eastern Europe and France it's quite popular within the heavy metal subculture though. In Finland especially - probably the only country where heavy metal still has mainstream popularity.
Australian, but yeah... about the same

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
26 Jun 11

Australian, but yeah... about the same
And thrash metal. That's five

K

Germany

Moves
26 Jun 11

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
Black Metal = Heavy Metal + Satanism
No, not really. First of all, there is Christian-themed black metal (so-called "unblack metal" ), and a musical style is hard to define by its lyrical content.

Black metal is similar to thrash metal in that it emphasizes speed and blast beat drums, but tends to have even higher speed, intentionally poor production to give an "underground" sound, shrieking high-pitched vocals and en emphasis on tremolo riffs and texture rather than melody. Perhaps the most notorious figure in the Norwegian black metal scene is Varg Vikernes, a.k.a. Burzum, who was convicted of murdering his bandmate and the arson of several historic churches.

More recent black metal artists have sometimes incorporated other musical styles into the paradigm, such as (dark) ambient, folk or shoegaze.

Not sure if this teaches you as much as Norwegian diplomats know though.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
26 Jun 11

Originally posted by KazetNagorra
No, not really. First of all, there is Christian-themed black metal (so-called "unblack metal" ), and a musical style is hard to define by its lyrical content.

Black metal is similar to thrash metal in that it emphasizes speed and blast beat drums, but tends to have even higher speed, intentionally poor production to give an "underground" sound, shri ...[text shortened]... ch?v=6dwrrLb-uJQ

Not sure if this teaches you as much as Norwegian diplomats know though.
Whats Meshuggah then? (I have no idea what they're singing about)

K

Germany

Moves
27 Jun 11

Whats Meshuggah then? (I have no idea what they're singing about)
They are quite idiosyncratic. I don't attach a lot of importance to labels but I suppose you could say they blend elements of hardcore punk, progressive metal and jazz.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
27 Jun 11

Should British diplomats take a leaf from their Norwegian colleagues' book and familiarise themselves with the rudiments of dubstep? If so, where ought they to begin?

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
03 Jul 11

Should British diplomats take a leaf from their Norwegian colleagues' book and familiarise themselves with the rudiments of dubstep? If so, where ought they to begin?
Learn the double kick drum 😀