New Pearl Jam album

New Pearl Jam album

Culture

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
16 Sep 09

Originally posted by Palynka
Is there any reasons why any band should not put out every concert they play in?
No, Not at all. It just raises a question in my mind about how Pearl Jam perceive themselves and how they are perceived by their fans.

d

Moves
16 Sep 09
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
Ah. I see you want to change the topic to why you don't like Phish. Good for you. The point is, Pearl Jam produces very little music in a concert that is not the same as the night before. I haven't been ripping any Pearl Jam fans. Just looking for some insight into a band whose latest album is bafflingly dreary who and release so many live recordings it is as if they see themselves as an improvising band.
Hey now, don't get me wrong. I do like Phish. My point is just that show trading, bootlegging, or whatever, is just something that hardcore fans do. You may not see a variable difference from show to show but likely someone who knows the entire catalogue would disagree.

d

Moves
16 Sep 09

How does the saying go?

"It's not the band I hate....

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
16 Sep 09

Originally posted by FMF
No, Not at all. It just raises a question in my mind about how Pearl Jam perceive themselves and how they are perceived by their fans.
But does that matter?

F

Moves
16 Sep 09

Originally posted by Palynka
But does that matter?
Yes. To me. I'm just looking for information.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
16 Sep 09

Originally posted by FMF
Yes. To me. I'm just looking for information.
Fair enough. Maybe I'll get my discussion some other day.

TA
I'm 1/4 Ninja

Moves
16 Sep 09

Originally posted by FMF
Pearl Jam have never really been on my radar, I'll admit.

The latest album - I just let it play twice back to back - makes me think I haven't been missing much, unless this is an unrepresentative dud.

It seems very indistinct, no unexpected chords anywhere, no words that reach out and grab you.

A study in genericism and carefully callibrated mediocrity, almost?

What is the 'unique selling point' of this band?
I don't think a band has to have a 'unique selling point' as long as they put out good music.
And Pearl Jam puts out great music that their fans love. I think we can say the same thing
about any band that sticks together and keeps making new music as long as Pearl Jam has.
They've found a fan base that goes crazy for their stuff. Like the Dead or Phish or even the
Stones, you either love them or say 'eh'.

Which 'latest' album are you talking about? Their new one - Backspacer - hasn't come out
yet, has it? If you're talking about their self-title 2006 release then yes, out of all their albums
that would be the one to be labeled the unrepresentative dud.

Is their music progressive anymore? No. But check out Vs. and Vitalogy -- I'd argue that they
are a nudge better than Ten.

u
The So Fist

Voice of Reason

Moves
16 Sep 09
3 edits

Originally posted by Traveling Again
I But check out Vs. and Vitalogy -- I'd argue that they
are a nudge better than Ten.
Vs/Vitalogy were the Silverchair of their day. 10 was where it was at.

You can divide Pearl Jam fans into two cateogories:

Those who liked "Jeremy" and then bought Vs/Vitalogy and thought they were a good band. They also tended to like Stone Temple Pilots

Those who liked "Even Flow" and "Alive" and everything else on 10 except Jeremy and viewed Vs/Vitalogy to be pop-laden crap. They also tended to like Alice N Chains

TA
I'm 1/4 Ninja

Moves
16 Sep 09

Originally posted by uzless
Vs/Vitalogy were the Silverchair of their day. 10 was where it was at.

You can divide Pearl Jam fans into two cateogories:

Those who liked "Jeremy" and then bought Vs/Vitalogy and thought they were a good band. They also tended to like Stone Temple Pilots

Those who liked "Even Flow" and "Alive" and everything else on 10 except Jeremy and viewed Vs/Vitalogy to be pop-laden crap. They also tended to like Alice N Chains
I always thought the two categories of fans were much clearer:

1. Those who only like Ten. Many in this category can also be seen singing along to the Plain White Ts 'Hey There Delilah.'

2. Those who like all (ok...most) of their stuff, including Ten. They definitely like to rock to AIC, too

😉

F

Moves
17 Sep 09

Which 'latest' album are you talking about? Their new one - Backspacer - hasn't come out yet, has it?
Yes, Backspacer. It's already circulating. I came to it with an open mind, even listened to it twice to be sure, but I was struck by its ordinariness. I'm not speaking about this in any kind of 'sports fan' way. I am genuinely curious about what they once were and whether or not some think they still 'are'.

TA
I'm 1/4 Ninja

Moves
17 Sep 09

Originally posted by FMF
Yes, Backspacer. It's already circulating. I came to it with an open mind, even listened to it twice to be sure, but I was struck by its ordinariness. I'm not speaking about this in any kind of 'sports fan' way. I am genuinely curious about what they once were and whether or not some think they still 'are'.
I wish I could verbalize what they once were. (And no, I don't think they are "that" anymore.)
The soul of Pearl Jam is the power and intensity of Eddie Vedder. I'm a huge fan - but I
recognize that their more recent work doesn't effect me the way their first 3 (even 4) albums
did. I don't know why, really. Maybe because I got older and my tastes changed. Maybe
because they got older and simply couldn't match their earlier intensity. I guess the best way I
can put it is that in their earlier work the music somehow matched Vedder's vocals - there
was a better relationship there. That's when they're at their best - when the sound is
unleashed. A lot of the later stuff is definitely more...well, bland.

Maybe it's like the movie "Ferris Bueller's Day Off." I had never seen it until about a year ago
-- but my wife and all my friends LOVE this movie and we're all from the same generation and
enjoy a lot of the same movies. They watched it when they were young and it still resonates
with them to this day. Call it nostalgia or whatever. But when I saw it I had no connection
and didn't think much of it. They couldn't believe I didn't immediately love it. Maybe that's
the same way my dad feels about the Stones. He was there when the "were" and they've
resonated with him ever since.

Who knows. Interesting to think about though. 🙂

F

Moves
18 Sep 09

I wish I could verbalize what they once were. (And no, I don't think they are "that" anymore.)
The soul of Pearl Jam is the power and intensity of Eddie Vedder. I'm a huge fan - but I recognize that their more recent work doesn't effect me the way their first 3 (even 4) albums did. I don't know why, really. Maybe because I got older and my tastes ...[text shortened]... n the sound is unleashed. A lot of the later stuff is definitely more...well, bland.
Are there bands of that 'early Pearl Jam vintage' that have grown and changed in a way that seemed to link up with the way you were growing and changing (personally and in terms of your tastes) such that you are still onboard?

s
Granny

Parts Unknown

Moves
19 Sep 09

Originally posted by FMF
Ah. I see you want to change the topic to why you don't like Phish. Good for you. The point is, Pearl Jam produces very little music in a concert that is not the same as the night before. I haven't been ripping any Pearl Jam fans. Just looking for some insight into a band whose latest album is bafflingly dreary who and release so many live recordings it is as if they see themselves as an improvising band.
Pearl Jam really has some great lyrics:

GRANNY.

TA
I'm 1/4 Ninja

Moves
22 Sep 09

Originally posted by FMF
Just got the album and it's great! Don't know what else to say - especially if you already gave it a go twice over.

Chasing the moon

Right out of the sky

Moves
22 Sep 09

I've just gottent the album and am listening through.
But I can say without hesitation that "Just Breath" is an amazing song.