Music recommendations?

Music recommendations?

Culture

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

B
Death

is no semi-colon

Moves
20 Nov 09

thanks all, am familiar with Portishead, Sigur Ros, Massive Attack, Cowboy Junkies and a few others suggested, but some new names here as well. think i might go with Seitse's edgy Britney suggestion for starters - she's got musical chops and street cred the others can only dream of.

d

Moves
20 Nov 09

Taken by Trees (My Boys)
Broadcast (Before We Begin)
Stars (Calendar Girl)
Feist (1 2 3 4)
Brazilian Girls (St. Petersburg)
The Dirty Projectors (Stillness is the Move)
Fever Ray/The Knife (Triangle Walks)
Metric (Live It Out)
The xx (Crystallized)

Sure, my suggestions are a bit all over the place but it's 2009 FFS, listen to a song on myspace and see if it's your thing or not. 🙂 Suggested song listenings are in parentheses.

Lord

Sewers of Holland

Moves
21 Nov 09

ABBA.

And T-Rex.

You can't get better than them.

Yo! Its been

Me, all along

Moves
21 Nov 09

Originally posted by shavixmir
ABBA.

And T-Rex.

You can't get better than them.
ABBA are good, and Nina Simone bought her greatest hits recently my kids call her CD The Cool One!

c

Russ's Pocket

Moves
21 Nov 09

Originally posted by Blackamp
i'm looking for something along the lines of, say, Mazzy Star's 'Fade into You', Low (e.g. Silver Rider), Last Town Chorus's version of Bowie's Modern Love - i.e. female vocalist melodic vaguely "alternative"-y pop/rock, preferably fairly recent (2000+)...

any suggestions, please?
http://amiestreet.com/music/kate-wax/

K

Germany

Moves
21 Nov 09

Dead Can Dance
Cocteau Twins
My Bloody Valentine
Slowdive

As far as more recent stuff goes, maybe you should try Mojave 3.

B
Death

is no semi-colon

Moves
21 Nov 09

Originally posted by KazetNagorra
Dead Can Dance
Cocteau Twins
My Bloody Valentine
Slowdive

As far as more recent stuff goes, maybe you should try Mojave 3.
have listened to most of that. like Loveless, Souvlaki Space Station etc. less into CT and M3. although i have t admit the only CT i have is Heaven or Las Vegas - not really mcot. Lush can be good, Curve less so imo.

B
Death

is no semi-colon

Moves
21 Nov 09

Originally posted by yo its me
ABBA are good, and Nina Simone bought her greatest hits recently my kids call her CD The Cool One!
ABBA are too arty for me, but i like NS.

Yo! Its been

Me, all along

Moves
21 Nov 09

I wouldn't have thought arty would be used to discribe ABBA! They're cheerful for me, happy tunes that can get stuck in ya head fairly quickly. CT are 'arty' for me-

K

Germany

Moves
21 Nov 09

have listened to most of that. like Loveless, Souvlaki Space Station etc. less into CT and M3. although i have t admit the only CT i have is Heaven or Las Vegas - not really mcot. Lush can be good, Curve less so imo.
You should definitely try Cocteau Twins' Treasure, too. I like Lush, Curve is still on my to-listen-list. Lycia is pretty good too, if you're looking for modern music with female vocals, but then we're getting into darkwave territory.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
22 Nov 09

Magic Dirt.
Paradise Motel.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
22 Nov 09

Nothing beats a 'Chiquitita' karaoke.

Female vocalists, you might try Larkin Grimm.

D
incipit parodia

Moves
22 Nov 09

Originally posted by KazetNagorra
You should definitely try Cocteau Twins' Treasure, too. I like Lush, Curve is still on my to-listen-list. Lycia is pretty good too, if you're looking for modern music with female vocals, but then we're getting into darkwave territory.
I recently went back to the Cocteau Twins after several years of not listening to them at all. I'd forgotten ]quite how powerful her voice is, and how influential they were... (sorry to say, but bands like Lush come up short when you listen to the Cocteau Twins.) Anyone who doesn't know them should try them.

u
The So Fist

Voice of Reason

Moves
23 Nov 09

Originally posted by DrKF
I recently went back to the Cocteau Twins after several years of not listening to them at all. I'd forgotten ]quite how powerful her voice is, and how influential they were... (sorry to say, but bands like Lush come up short when you listen to the Cocteau Twins.) Anyone who doesn't know them should try them.
lorlei