Movies, Movies, Movies

Movies, Movies, Movies

Culture

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guppy poo

Sewers of Holland

Moves
02 Mar 08

Besides the Oscars discrediting themselves when they gave "Forrest Gump" best picture over "Pulp Fiction", there was nothing wrong with their choice this year. "No country for old men" was the best film I've seen the last year. Best ending too (not to everyone's taste, I'm sure, but certainly note worthy).

Admittedly, I've not seen "There will be blood" yet, but that just came out here last week... I'll be seeing it the coming days though and may have to revise this post.

u
The So Fist

Voice of Reason

Moves
06 Mar 08

Anyone see My Fair Lady last night on Turner Classic Movies (TCM)?

Guppy poo

Sewers of Holland

Moves
06 Mar 08

Well, I went to see "There will be blood" today.

Mediocre at best.

E
YNWA

Moves
06 Mar 08

Originally posted by shavixmir
Well, I went to see "There will be blood" today.

Mediocre at best.
WHAT?!?!

Tell us what you didn't like. What did you think of DDL?

IM
Primal Primate

holiest of holies

Moves
07 Mar 08
1 edit

Originally posted by Crowley
Just saw Pan's Labyrinth.

Verdict: Excellent!
yes, a brilliant film. saw it twice at the cinema and have it on DVD now as well. the juxtaposition of fantasy and weighty reality elements seems to be popular lately, with Narnia and Terabithia also coming out in recent years.

Santiago

Moves
07 Mar 08

I am surprised one of last years westerns didn´t get a nomination. Unfortunately it seems the Oscar goes to films with late year release dates. That is hardly reflective of the year as a whole and seems to be more of a marketing exercise for the industry.

Guppy poo

Sewers of Holland

Moves
08 Mar 08

Originally posted by ElleEffSeee
WHAT?!?!

Tell us what you didn't like. What did you think of DDL?
The story was way too long and way too slow.
Basically we've got a man with a mean streak digging for oil. That's it.

DDL was good. It was well acted. I liked the preacher boy as well (no, not in that way).

The whole story line just didn't grasp me, I guess. Nor did I find the end shocking.

Doug Stanhope

That's Why I Drink

Moves
08 Mar 08
1 edit

What I don't understand is how such a puff like that "Diablo Cody" can receive any recognition for such lame, simplistic and boring writing, gosh.

It only demonstrates that the Oscars, as Sick Boy said, are just a meaningless sympathy vote.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
08 Mar 08

Originally posted by Seitse
What I don't understand is how such a puff like that "Diablo Cody" can receive any recognition for such lame, simplistic and boring writing, gosh.

It only demonstrates that the Oscars, as Sick Boy said, are just a meaningless sympathy vote.
I agree. Juno was a nice film, but hardly anything in it could be described as brilliant.

b

lazy boy derivative

Moves
08 Mar 08

I still lean to The Diving Bell and the Butterfly as the best of the bunch. But a really strong group in my opinion.

Guppy poo

Sewers of Holland

Moves
09 Mar 08
1 edit

Just went to see "The waterhorse" and "rendition".

The Water horse (I dunno if the water and the horse are written together or separately) was okay. For a kid's film.
Pity the ending is so guessable. It would have been better if they dipped Nessie in batter, deep fried her and then served her to the fat American tourists as a national dish.
But that's just me.

Rendition was pretty good. Nice little chronology twist at the end.
And it highlights a pretty atrocious state of world affairs. And Reese... dear oh dear... even highly pregnant she's still completely shaggable.

The Water-Horse (still can't make my mind up if it's joined or not): 6 out of 10
Rendition: 8 out of 10.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
13 Mar 08

Originally posted by ElleEffSeee
Its a good story with great character development from the lead girl.
Ahem. Yes. Her "character development" is indeed impressive.

Jokes aside, it's an excellent film. Perhaps my favourite of last year. Ang Lee gets back into form after the disappointing Hulk and Brokeback Mountain.