Most underrated movie ever

Most underrated movie ever

Culture

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
25 Mar 10

Do RHPers have cherished movies that didn't rock the box office or they feel the movies are not known widely enough?

Doug Stanhope

That's Why I Drink

Moves
25 Mar 10

Debbie Does Hollywood.

Moves
25 Mar 10

In science fiction, everyone has stolen from Metropolis and Forbidden Planet.

In animation, I get tired of critics claiming that The Little Mermaid was responsible for the resurgence of Disney animated features. It was actually Who Framed Roger Rabbit. WFRR made TLM possible.

Possibly the most underrated western is Winchester '73. Possibly.

Our Hospitality is the best of the silent movies, better than The General. Better than Chaplin.

I'm not as sure about modern movies. I think that if I come back to a movie 10 or 20 years later I have a better feel for it.

The Sixth Sense is probably underrated; it is the finest ghost story ever put to film.

Moves
25 Mar 10

Originally posted by Seitse
Debbie Does Hollywood.
http://www.therewindblog.com/2009/05/debbie-does-hollywood.html

S

Moves
25 Mar 10

Originally posted by Badwater
In animation, I get tired of critics claiming that The Little Mermaid was responsible for the resurgence of Disney animated features. It was actually Who Framed Roger Rabbit. WFRR made TLM possible.
Probably for 3 reasons: because WFRR was only partially animated (doesn't stick in the head that it's Disney), because it was co-produced with Amblin and because the Animation Director was so distainful of Disney that the animation was done in the UK.

The Sixth Sense is probably underrated; it is the finest ghost story ever put to film.
I dunno what the criteria for ghost movie is, but what about: The Shining, Poltergeist, Ringu, Truly Madly Deeply?

Doug Stanhope

That's Why I Drink

Moves
25 Mar 10

The Rescuers Down Under is, IMHO, one of the most underrated
Disney animated movies. It is finely unfolded and the opening
sequence is a sweet transition from PC use and then contrasting
2D sweetness.

See, for contrast, the opening sequence of the overrated Beauty
and the Beast. In the background, while Belle is singing, you can
see glitches and mechanic move of badly drawn characters.

F

Moves
25 Mar 10

Walker - with Ed Harris.

Love Liza - with Phillip Seymour Hoffman

Naked - directed by Mike Leigh

Slacker - directed by Richard Linklater

Bottle Rocket - directed by Wes Anderson

The Pledge - Jack Nicholson

Tropic Thunder - directed by Ben Stiller

Jacknife - with Ed Harris and Robert DeNiro

Lantana - with Anthony LaPaglia and Kerry Armstrong

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
25 Mar 10

Visually, The Fall (Tarsem Singh) is without peer.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
25 Mar 10

In terms of being atypical, I found The Deep End (Scott McGehee David Siegel) just a really well done film that received too little attention.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
25 Mar 10

D-oh! How could I forget: Flashbacks of a Fool (Baillie Walsh), starring Daniel Craig. Superb in every regard--- although certainly not appropriate for anyone under 18 because of the wanton debauchery in the opening scene. Afterwards, it is wholly palatable for all ages.

Easily Craig's finest work, and a great story well told.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
25 Mar 10

Originally posted by FreakyKBH
Visually, The Fall (Tarsem Singh) is without peer.
Good call.

Today's nominations: The Fountain and Dark City.

S

Moves
25 Mar 10

Visually, The Cell. If you ignore J-Lo's acting and the general storyline, the cinematography and art design are astounding.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
25 Mar 10
1 edit

Originally posted by Starrman
Visually, The Cell. If you ignore J-Lo's acting and the general storyline, the cinematography and art design are astounding.
Have you seen The Fall? Good call on The Cell. I actually missed it in theaters because of the woeful reviews (😞) and I wish I hadn't.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
25 Mar 10

Originally posted by Starrman
I was going to lump it in with The Fall, since they're both directed by the same guy and share some of the same effects. Not to sound overly superficial, The Cell was somewhat hampered by the story line (for me) to be considered the visual feast that The Fall was made into. I felt like the story in The Fall--- certainly not light-hearted fare--- was skeleton enough to really allow the visuals center stage, whereas The Cell was a tad cluttered by its plot.

Either way, both stunning pieces of film.

S

Moves
25 Mar 10

Originally posted by Palynka
Have you seen The Fall? Good call on The Cell. I actually missed it in theaters because of the woeful reviews (😞) and I wish I hadn't.
Alas not, but if it comes highly recommended I'll give it a look.