Hobbit birthday

Hobbit birthday

Culture

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
21 Sep 12

Today, "The Hobbit" turns 75: it was published on September 21st, 1937.
Tomorrow, September 22nd, is Bilbo's own birthday, and he will therefore be 75 as well. It's not quite eleventy-one, but still, good going for a character we only know because a 10 year old Rayner Unwin liked the book.

Richard

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
21 Sep 12

Originally posted by Shallow Blue
Today, "The Hobbit" turns 75: it was published on September 21st, 1937.
Tomorrow, September 22nd, is Bilbo's own birthday, and he will therefore be 75 as well. It's not quite eleventy-one, but still, good going for a character we only know because a 10 year old Rayner Unwin liked the book.

Richard
When I was in Jr. High (in the mid-70s), I would walk by the Utica Cemetery on my way to school. One day on my way home I noticed a tattered paperback in a bush by the fence. I pulled it out and found it was something called 'The Hobbit'. That was the first time I had heard of Tolkein.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
21 Sep 12
1 edit

Originally posted by rwingett
When I was in Jr. High (in the mid-70s), I would walk by the Utica Cemetery on my way to school. One day on my way home I noticed a tattered paperback in a bush by the fence. I pulled it out and found it was something called 'The Hobbit'. That was the first time I had heard of Tolkein.
Did you read it? Born in what, '61? You must be approaching old fartness then🙂

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
21 Sep 12

Originally posted by sonhouse
Did you read it? Born in what, '61? You must be approaching old fartness then🙂
Yes, I read it. I was hooked immediately. 'The Lord of the Rings' trilogy and a long infatuation with D&D followed soon thereafter.

I was born in '63.

s

Moves
21 Sep 12

One of literature's happy moments and a great piece of writing for youngsters everywhere and people who have reached old fartedness indeed!

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
23 Sep 12

Ballad of Bilbo Baggins by Leonard Nimoy