Favorite music genre

Favorite music genre

Culture

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

K

Germany

Moves
14 Apr 10

Originally posted by Marcusr
I can think of many ways in which to describe the concept of hip hop doo wop - and none of them contain the word fun. Instead, try 'abomination'.
Well, are they really that different? Probably the most influential group as far as the instrumental aspect of hiphop goes is Parliament/Funkadelic, and they started as a doo wop group!

M

Moves
14 Apr 10

Originally posted by Marcusr
I can think of many ways in which to describe the concept of hip hop doo wop - and none of them contain the word fun. Instead, try 'abomination'.
So you're saying that some people would find such a thing to be musically "offensive"? All the more reason to explore the possibilities.

The true abomination is putting out music that sounds almost exactly like 1000 other things that have already been put out in the previous few years.

F

Moves
15 Apr 10

Originally posted by Melanerpes
The true abomination is putting out music that sounds almost exactly like 1000 other things that have already been put out in the previous few years.
Hey are you dissing my 690 show Grateful Dead bootleg collection?

M

Moves
15 Apr 10

Originally posted by FMF
Hey are you dissing my 690 show Grateful Dead bootleg collection?
If a hip hop artist wants to do a record with the Grateful Dead or incorporate elements of the Grateful Dead's style, I'm all for it.

F

Moves
15 Apr 10

If a hip hop artist wants to do a record with the Grateful Dead or incorporate elements of the Grateful Dead's style, I'm all for it.
I think Spinal Tap already did that when Nigel Tufnel left the band.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
19 Apr 10

What about Aerosmith Walk this way, wasn't this the first instance of the kind of cross-over you are talking about?

K

Germany

Moves
19 Apr 10

Originally posted by sonhouse
What about Aerosmith Walk this way, wasn't this the first instance of the kind of cross-over you are talking about?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3J5CFiv-bvQ
Beastie Boys.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
19 Apr 10

Originally posted by KazetNagorra
Beastie Boys.
Can you be more specific? Like what year, a link to a video? I think Aero was around 1987.

d

Moves
19 Apr 10

Can you be more specific?
Rick Rubin.

M

Moves
19 Apr 10
2 edits

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3J5CFiv-bvQ
Yes - that was exactly the sort of thing I have in mind. A more recent example (combining hip hop and country) was "Over and Over" by Nelly with Tim McGraw. But these sorts of things happen extremely rarely. Why?

Is there something that's been keeping rock artists and hip hop artists and country artists from working together? Do the record companies make them take an oath never to associate with those from one of the "other sides".

d

Moves
19 Apr 10

Well, are they really that different? Probably the most influential group as far as the instrumental aspect of hiphop goes is Parliament/Funkadelic, and they started as a doo wop group!
Parliament/Funkadelic is a funk band, not a hip hop group.

d

Moves
19 Apr 10

Yes - that was exactly the sort of thing I have in mind. A more recent example (combining hip hop and country) was "Over and Over" by Nelly with Tim McGraw. But these sorts of things happen extremely rarely. Why?
Not everything that can be smushed together makes a delicious sandwich. Just ask the folks from my recent Pere Ubu/N*Sync/Bob Marley hybrid project.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
19 Apr 10

Originally posted by darvlay
Not everything that can be smushed together makes a delicious sandwich. Just ask the folks from my recent Pere Ubu/N*Sync/Bob Marley hybrid project.
Pere Ubu. Cleveland rocks.

K

Germany

Moves
20 Apr 10

Originally posted by darvlay
Parliament/Funkadelic is a funk band, not a hip hop group.
No kidding! Perhaps you ought to read up on the influence they've had on hip hop.

d

Moves
20 Apr 10

No kidding! Perhaps you ought to read up on the influence they've had on hip hop.
Sorry. Misread your original post. But I am still curious as to why you feel Parliament was more of an influence over any other funk or soul band in hip-hop/rap, if you'd like to share.