1. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    14 Apr '13 23:13
    Trivia question for my fellow classical music lovers. Elgar wrote the first piece of music alluding to drugs some 60+ years before the Beatles. What was this piece?
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    15 Apr '13 01:46
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    Trivia question for my fellow classical music lovers. Elgar wrote the first piece of music alluding to drugs some 60+ years before the Beatles. What was this piece?
    Could it be Cello Concerto in E minor, Op. 85?

If not, I don't have the slightest clue.
  3. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    15 Apr '13 01:591 edit
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Could it be Cello Concerto in E minor, Op. 85?

If not, I don't have the slightest clue.
    Incorrect! However, very nice try! I would like to hear your reasoning for your choice, though.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Apr '13 02:271 edit
    Classical trivia thread
    Which Frank Zappa compositions were played by all three of the following: Pierre Boulez's Ensemble InterContemporain [in 1984] , the London Symphony Orchestra [in 1983], and the Abnuceals Emuukha Electric Symphony Orchestra [in 1975]?
  5. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    15 Apr '13 08:06
    The Starlight Express?
  6. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    15 Apr '13 11:02
    Drum roll please....! Cockaigne Overture, 1901. or Cockayne (pron.: /kɒˈkeɪn/); 'Cockaigne' was a term used by moralists at that time as a metaphor for gluttony and drunkenness, while Britain adopted the name humorously for London. There is no narrative programme, but the work presents various aspects of turn-of-the-century London and Londoners. It begins with a quiet but bustling theme which leads into an unbroken sequenceof snapshots: the cockneys, the church bells, the romantic couples, a slightly ragged brass band (perhaps the Salvation Army) and a contrastingly grand and imperious military band. The broad theme representing Londoners.

At the beginning of the twentieth century the success of the Enigma Variations had been followed by the initial failure of The Dream of Gerontius, which caused Elgar to be dispirited and declare that God was against art. Nevertheless, on receiving a commission from the Royal Philharmonic Society he began work on the new piece and soon reported that it was 'cheerful and Londony, "stout and steaky"' ... 'honest, healthy, humorous and strong, but not vulgar'.
  7. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    15 Apr '13 11:26
    Drum roll please....! Cockaigne Overture, 1901. or Cockayne (pron.: /kɒˈkeɪn/); 'Cockaigne' was a term used by moralists at that time as a metaphor for gluttony and drunkenness, while Britain adopted the name humorously for London. There is no narrative programme, but the work presents various aspects of turn-of-the-century London and Lon ...[text shortened]... Londony, "stout and steaky"' ... 'honest, healthy, humorous and strong, but not vulgar'.
    And the connection to drugs?
  8. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    15 Apr '13 11:41
    Originally posted by Rank outsider
    And the connection to drugs?
    Cocaine.
  9. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    15 Apr '13 11:572 edits
    Cocaine.
    I cry foul!

My answer was better, especially as it refers to LSD, which has a much stronger Beatles connection.

http://www.overgrownpath.com/2012/08/elgar-takes-trip.html

😉
  10. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    15 Apr '13 11:58
    Originally posted by FMF
    Which Frank Zappa compositions were played by all three of the following: Pierre Boulez's Ensemble InterContemporain [in 1984] , the London Symphony Orchestra [in 1983], and the Abnuceals Emuukha Electric Symphony Orchestra [in 1975]?
    Pedro's Dowry?
  11. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    15 Apr '13 12:09
    What connects the names Carl, Alessandro and Fanny?
  12. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    15 Apr '13 12:34
    What connects the names Carl, Alessandro and Fanny?
    Mendelssohn?
  13. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    15 Apr '13 12:391 edit
    I cry foul!

My answer was better, especially as it refers to LSD, which has a much stronger Beatles connection.

http://www.overgrownpath.com/2012/08/elgar-takes-trip.html

😉
    NO foul! Since you did not like the answer here's a riddle: Variegated dullness speaks of he who oft stumbles upon his own feet. Previously known as "a mighty hunter before the Lord".
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    15 Apr '13 13:112 edits
    Originally posted by FMF
    200 Motels?
  15. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    15 Apr '13 13:21
    Mendelssohn?
    That's part of the answer but not the connection.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree