Best Pink Floyd lp ?

Best Pink Floyd lp ?

Culture

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

r

cleveland ohio

Moves
12 Mar 08

NO QUESTION The Dark Side of the Moon!

Vampyroteuthis

Infernalis

Moves
12 Mar 08

Originally posted by richfeet
richfeet? There's a name from the past!

I'd have to disagree. I'm not sure what my favorite would be....maybe Animals or Meddle, but definitely not DSOTM.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
12 Mar 08

Saucerful of Secrets for me.

z

Moves
12 Mar 08

Originally posted by Palynka
Saucerful of Secrets for me.
Best piece of Pink Floyd music is unquestionably Echoes. BUT, does that make Meddle the best album?

Moves
12 Mar 08

'Wish You Were Here' has always been my favourite Floyd album.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
12 Mar 08

Originally posted by znsho
Best piece of Pink Floyd music is unquestionably Echoes. BUT, does that make Meddle the best album?
It's up there with Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun.

c
'Sir' to you

Osaka, Japan

Moves
13 Mar 08
1 edit

I only discovered Pink Floyd in the mid 80's, so I didn't hear a lot of their early stuff. I had heard the single "Another Brick in the Wall" sometime about 1978 [??], but nothing else.

The first LP (yes, it was still plastic 33s in those days) I heard was Animals, which I consider to be my favourite, in 1984. In the next year or so, I listened to everything they'd recorded, up to and including "A Momentary Lapse of Reason" and Roger Waters' "Radio Kaos" (yeah, I know he'd left by then...) and I even went to Wembley Stadium with a mate in August '85 to see that concert (still got the tickets in my scrapbook).

However, that was only about 20% of my education. Under the influences of certain substances, I started to try to work out what they were singing about, and that's when I realised that Pink Floyd songs are not just a nice melody you can click your fingers and dance to.

Animals is my favourite because I can identify with the kind of people that are being described. Dark Side Of The Moon is a bit weird, because I'm not a nutter, and Wish You Were Here... Well, I'm happy where I am now, thank you very much...

EDIT: If you ask me my favourite single song/tune, the answer would be "Time".

n

Moves
13 Mar 08

Probably "Final Cut" is my favourite album.

Radio Gnome

Planet Gong

Moves
13 Mar 08

atom heart mother is my favourite, a seriously underrated album

IM
Primal Primate

holiest of holies

Moves
13 Mar 08

Originally posted by mbakunin
atom heart mother is my favourite, a seriously underrated album
i adore the title track and but the rest of the material is somewhat lacking i think. i'd have to nominate the live disc from Ummagumma as my favourite, but if we're talking strictly studio albums, i'd have to go with either Meddle or Wish You Were Here.

eo

the highway to hell

Moves
13 Mar 08

theyre all good, except the wall which was a big mistake

P

weedhopper

Moves
13 Mar 08

Meddle tops my list, but soundtrack from "More" is next.

Vampyroteuthis

Infernalis

Moves
13 Mar 08

Originally posted by eamon o
theyre all good, except the wall which was a big mistake
Oh please. That whole, "every commercially successful album sucks" thing is so cliché. I wouldn't say 'The Wall' was my favorite Floyd album (Meddle & Animals for me), but I certainly wouldn't call it "a mistake".

Were you the one who said "The Life Pursuit" by B&S sucked too?

Ridiculous.

Illinois

Moves
14 Mar 08
1 edit

Originally posted by richfeet
No question. Conceptually, artistically, musically, creatively, and in terms of production, DSOTM is the best. If you think of Pink Floyd's life as a magnifying glass, DSOTM is the moment when the rays of the Floydian sun were focused into a brilliant burning point of light, scorching a permanent indentation onto the collective unconscious. It can't be beat.

That said, "Echoes," "Grantchester Meadows," and, "Fearless," are my favorite Floyd tracks.

b

lazy boy derivative

Moves
15 Mar 08

Originally posted by znsho
I prefer Meddle. It is just a fondness for that period. They were still influenced by a more folk sound. Their melodies were strong. And the songs infectious.