Rival Chess App for Android devices

Rival Chess App for Android devices

Announcements

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
16 Mar 11

The Rival Chess project has had a home at RHP right from the very start, and we have now released an Android version to bring this project up to date.

Version 1.1.3 can be downloaded here

From the market place

Direct from this site (market place link above is preferable, unless you are familiar with installing APK files)

Download APK

This is *not* a client for RHP - this is hopefully coming quite soon - Rival is a single player/2 player "hot seat" chess game.

PGN below from a game on Android vs Android on a HTC Desire on 1 second thinking. (You can export PGNs direct from the app)

Hell

Moves
29 Mar 11

I'm looking forward to having an Android app client for RHP. Please let us know when that is available.

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
04 Apr 11
1 edit

Works is very advanced on this - actually usable, but not ready for beta for probably 2 weeks due to a project overlap. It has been one of those projects where the last 10% takes 90% of the time.

After a short beta it will be on the market place as a free download. (Ads for non-subs, ad free for subs)

Right now, it is a native Android app with similar functionality to the iPhone web app. Although it obviously won't offer (anywhere near) all the features of the web site, it can be expanded over time if it has the userbase. Also, we will consider a native iPhone port if a success.

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
16 Apr 11

Still not finished with the Android app - rather frustratingly held up just short of completion by other work which has priority right now. Please be patient, it won't be long.

Hell

Moves
17 Apr 11

It's better it is fully tested and working than it be rushed out, so take your time! And to add to your list any chance of 960 on RHP, and especially on the android app to RHP.

Doug Stanhope

That's Why I Drink

Moves
20 Apr 11

Great job, Russ! Thanks 🙂

PF

Moves
22 Apr 11

Hi Russ,

Are there plans to port the RHP app to the Windows Phone 7 platform? It's the platform of choice amongst me and my buddies and we'd love to be able to play our RHP games via it! (I'd buy it!).

BOb

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
05 May 11

Originally posted by Papa Fett
Hi Russ,

Are there plans to port the RHP app to the Windows Phone 7 platform? It's the platform of choice amongst me and my buddies and we'd love to be able to play our RHP games via it! (I'd buy it!).

BOb
Windows 7 would be possible, but we will need to judge how the native Android client is received. And then a few days might be spent making an assessment of the Win Phone SDK - learning a new platform is not trivial.

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
05 May 11

Originally posted by Bael
It's better it is fully tested and working than it be rushed out, so take your time! And to add to your list any chance of 960 on RHP, and especially on the android app to RHP.
960 on RHP is likely in some form, but is way down on the priorities right now, sorry.

Android App is at least 3 weeks away. Apologies for the delay - once my current obligations are cleared I am right back on in it.

T
Wizzard Lv.3

Coventry, UK

Moves
05 May 11

Thanks for the update Russ, saves me checking this thread daily as I have been lately :o)

I'm sure when its ready the client will be well recieved, and will make for another excellent selling point for attracting new subs.

Moves
14 May 11

this sounds great, i just bought a second hand android tablet. is there any news on which android versions it will support? I think the newest is 2.2 and im using 2.0.

Thanks very much Russ, as usual you are a star.

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
17 May 11
1 edit

Can't commit 100% to which version right now, but 1.x will not be supported, sorry. (Cost of progress....)

So 2.x should be just fine - either Android Eclair 2.0.x/2.1.x as a minimum.

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
26 May 11

Just an update, back on this full time again.

t

Moves
27 May 11

Moves
29 May 11

Originally posted by Russ
Just an update, back on this full time again.
Thanks for the update Russ.