Game moderator vote II

Game moderator vote II

Announcements

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

N

The sky

Moves
18 Mar 08

Originally posted by Pawn Qween
They might want to know it's happening and what the outcome is. Even as a non-sub I liked to know what was going on. 🙂
Well, I would expect that anyone who is interested to know what is going on will check the fora (or at least the Announcement forum) once in a while. It makes sense to announce major changes that affect everybody (even those who aren't very much interested in the newest developments of the site) by sending a PM to everybody or have it show when you visit the site like the TOS reminder we got not so long ago, but I don't think it makes sense to notify people of a vote they can't participate in and that is only used as a pointer. It might make sense to notify everybody once the new game mod team is established.

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
18 Mar 08
1 edit

Originally posted by Arrakis
1) I have not started an anti-campaign against you. Belive me, if I did you wouldn't be getting all these votes! What I did was send the game to yourself with a note that your moves matches 100% and told you up front that I was going to send it to the game moderators.

We've been over this again and again and you don't seem to undertand that it's your rep to last long. I believe that you have neither the experience nor the desire to do the work.
hey asshat, why don't you tell everybody how you deliberately manipulated your 'analysis' to fit your desire to make it look as if there was a significant matchup with fritz? how you picked fritz's #2 choices as a #1 hit whenever it suited you better, and how you ran the analysis with varying analysis time until you got a hit?

and when it still didn't make the 100% you claim, you just blatantly lied about korch playing perfect moves, when he was in fact playing it safe after reaching a won material advantage. disregarding obviously better moves (almost 2 pawns difference according to fritz) because he really didn't need to risk it anymore. just like any decent human player would do.

doing all that, and continuing to badmouth korch just because you lost to him, makes you the worst kind of a sore loser.

and in case you're thinking about going for the 'but I was a professionally trained ICC cheat detector' routine (yeah, right) again, then would you care to explain me how a 'trained professional' such as you let an engine user play against my clan in our clan challenge?

http://www.redhotpawn.com/clanchallenge/viewchallenge.php?challengeid=93240

that about sums up your blowhard claims about the 'engine analysis expertise' you bring into this discussion. (with an appalling conduct in your private msgs to me I might add)

I'm glad to see from the votes that nobody has taken your anti-campaign seriously. for this and all the other ridiculous stunts you've pulled, your credibility is absolutely zero.

Moves
18 Mar 08

Originally posted by Palynka
Those that do NOT participate in the forums, have no idea of how committed or how knowledgeable (regarding engine use) are the candidates. They would decide based on what? Just their rating? Because they like their handles?
Hi Palynka

What people see in the forums are those who post the most. Some have posted showing knowledge of chess. Others seem to just have posted a lot. I post when I have time, and when feel I have something to add.

Rating seems to count for a lot. I doubt it is a coincidence that the highest rated have also the most votes. There have also been a lot of comments about rating, validity of OTB vs correspondence, top N of the site, etc. For myself I will only say that my rating here reflects OTB, and that I will prove it to the admins if required. I could talk my rating up, but it is very unlikely that I would convince more people without playing lots of games to actually move the number up, so I won't bother. I am already around the top 500: either that is good enough, or not.

All this to say that I would much rather that subscribers (as the only ones who can vote) were informed by PM or whatever that there is a vote. Then it is more likely that the vote will represent more of the site, rather than just those who follow the forums. Here I just echo the views of some of the other candidates. I disagree that the vote should be closed now. At least a complete week from opening to closing would make sense to me.

There have also been a number of suggestions about, e.g. making things run faster, splitting mod teams to split work, etc. To me this is very interesting, but finally a decision for the site admins and mods themselves. I don't actually care how they operate unless I am part of the team. More speed would be good, but not at the cost of more mistakes, IMHO.

Forum posting seems to count for something too, like saffa73, I thank those who voted for me.
May we all chose wisely,
Gezza

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
18 Mar 08

Originally posted by Red Night
I have to say that the 650 point discrepancy between your top rating here 3 years ago and your top USCF rating today would disqualify you in my mind.

We need to avoid even the appearance of impropriety.
Then someone lying about having an 1880 OTB rating should disqualify them from playing in your clan as well, shouldn't it? "Your mind" is a place I wouldn't care to visit; it's already been explained that no "discrepancy" exists.

What "appearance of impropriety" is there BTW? If this is yet another cheat insinuation from you, it's already been stated that ALL members will be vetted for engine use BEFORE being added to the team. If I'm such an obvious cheat, it should be relatively easy for the a Game Mod team, which you admit has players well qualified to detect engine use, to discover it and ban me from the site. That prospect should cause you to salivate, not be afraid of.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
18 Mar 08

They might want to know it's happening and what the outcome is. Even as a non-sub I liked to know what was going on. 🙂
Personally when I was a non-sub, I wouldn't expect to get a Vote, like the Subscribers did. I was happy to get my 6 games also !!

lookin for a way out

Moves
18 Mar 08

It would be nice if everyone would stop being so touchy in the forums and actually read what people have written! It would be great if that happened. It would stop people getting the wrong end of the stick when they haven't read the whole thread, that's what causes the heated discussions in forums 🙂

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
18 Mar 08

It would be nice if everyone would stop being so touchy in the forums and actually read what people have written! It would be great if that happened. It would stop people getting the wrong end of the stick when they haven't read the whole thread, that's what causes the heated discussions in forums 🙂
I've read the whole thread, but have no idea who you are talking about.

P-

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
18 Mar 08
1 edit

Originally posted by gezza
Hi Palynka

What people see in the forums are those who post the most. Some have posted showing knowledge of chess. Others seem to just have posted a lot. I post when I have time, and when feel I have something to add.

Rating seems to count for a lot. I doubt it is a coincidence that the highest rated have also the most votes. There have also been a something too, like saffa73, I thank those who voted for me.
May we all chose wisely,
Gezza
Hi gezza,

I agree with a lot of what you're saying, but I don't think that invalidates what I said (although it's more complete).

For example I did not vote for you because I don't know how you view moderation nor how your rating reflects your knowledge of the differences between engines and humans. These are all informations that can be transmitted via participation in the forums. Also, someone who is involved in the RHP community is also a plus for me.

This is very different from a popularity contest. I didn't vote whether I appreciate the individual himself but whether I believe, with the little information I have, he has the characteristics I would like in a game mod.

Another personal example, is my vote for no1. I think his tenacity could be a large plus in such a Game Mod team, although I also feel he definitely needs the supervision of more experienced and more mellow Game Mods. Personality ALSO counts. Even if it's just a factor among many, it can also be an important one.

lookin for a way out

Moves
18 Mar 08

Originally posted by Phlabibit
I've read the whole thread, but have no idea who you are talking about.

P-
I'm not talking about anyone in particular - it was a general observation!
And that is my point. Assumptions are made!

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
18 Mar 08

Is it your general observation that people all agree about everything all the time but just are unable to express themselves properly?

P-

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
18 Mar 08
1 edit

I know I made an assumption they were going to have only 3 mods, but I thought it was a good one, being we were getting 3 votes. I of course was in favor of more Mods. I do my best to follow the threads, but I am not as active in forums as I am in chess.

Moves
18 Mar 08

[...]
For example I did not vote for you because I don't know how you view moderation nor how your rating reflects your knowledge of the differences between engines and humans. These are all informations that can be transmitted via participation in the forums. Also, someone who is involved in the RHP community is also a plus for me.

This is very differe ...[text shortened]... sonality ALSO counts. Even if it's just a factor among many, it can also be an important one.
Hi again Palynka

I accept that as I do not post much, it is harder to know what I think on any given issue. I am not a very active community member.

I have followed the threads, but chosen not to comment on other players' suitability or not. Thus my comments in this thread have been limited ;-) There were multiple threads in multiple forums (fori?? - does anyone care?), and I posted in one of the others.

http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=89500&page=2#post_1684166
http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=88786&page=6

So whereas, e.g. Tony, has trained with engines for OTB tournaments, and would spot one in use, at present I would not, and have said so. I use engines to analyse my games when they are done to spot tactical errors, and not much else.

I would hope to improve with practice at spotting engine use, but that is not given. I see more possibilities in some sort of automation - whether it is speeding up analysis when someone has been reported, or in other areas. I'll not go into detail - as you very politely pointed out, I can be verbose 🙂

On the personality front, the threads I refer to give you some indication. If you were interested, you could look at my profile to see all posts. But given limited time, and that you prefer an involved community member, there is little need.

I look forward to the team being set up, so that other things can happen.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
18 Mar 08

Originally posted by gezza
Hi again Palynka

I accept that as I do not post much, it is harder to know what I think on any given issue. I am not a very active community member.

I have followed the threads, but chosen not to comment on other players' suitability or not. Thus my comments in this thread have been limited ;-) There were multiple threads in multiple forums (fori?? - ...[text shortened]... is little need.

I look forward to the team being set up, so that other things can happen.
Hey, I would prefer if ALL volunteers were chosen. That means you too. 🙂

Unfortunately, I'm only allowed to vote for 3...

A
D_U_N_E

Arrakis

Moves
18 Mar 08

I showed which sentence of TalonBoss you failed to read. You do no such thing. As usual with you, it's zero substance and only random assertions.
And this is coming from someone who calls a person an "idiot" because you don't want to hear what they have to say...
Kinda makes anything you say of no value doesn't it.

Seriously, I'm going to ignore all your posts from now on because they are all senseless and without any value. 😛

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
18 Mar 08

Originally posted by Arrakis
And this is coming from someone who calls a person an "idiot" because you don't want to hear what they have to say...
Kinda makes anything you say of no value doesn't it.

Seriously, I'm going to ignore all your posts from now on because they are all senseless and without any value. 😛
Again, ZERO substance.