Fixing your game history.

Fixing your game history.

Announcements

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

l

back in business

Moves
09 Feb 08

Why can't we just upload the correct pgn as the repairer does not check for legality thereby making mistakes likely.

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
10 Feb 08

http://www.redhotpawn.com/gameanalysis/gamefixclean.php?gameid=nnnnn

To remove any restored moves.

-Russ

N

The sky

Moves
10 Feb 08

Originally posted by Russ

-Russ
Great, thanks! I was sure I had put in the only possible move, but I had been mistaken. Now the only game I haven't fixed is one in which the first move wasn't recorded. That still isn't possible to fix, right?

ook

hirsute rooster

Moves
10 Feb 08

-Russ
Excellent - worked a treat.
I've got all my histories back again.

ABC
Siachmat!

Porthmadog

Moves
10 Feb 08

Do we have to do this? What if I don't have the time or patience to do this will it be fixed automatically in the future?

c

Johannesburg

Moves
10 Feb 08

-Russ
Hi Russ,

Thanks for all the effort to restore the corrupt games - the tools have been very useful. I had many games missing a move - fortunately only one move 😛

Unfortunately, I still have two problem games:
Game 4448112
Game 4451993

In both cases:
-- The new tool reports "No restored moves exist"
-- The previous tool reports "This game has a complete history, but it is corrupt and now cannot be fixed."
-- Yet the Game Log is correct!

Please check this out; it may be a more general problem. Another user has also identified a game of his that has no history but a full game log Game 3122675.

PS: Thanks again.

l

back in business

Moves
10 Feb 08

Only two moves were missing - game restored. That was brill!!

N

The sky

Moves
10 Feb 08

Originally posted by Ari Brenin Cymru
Do we have to do this? What if I don't have the time or patience to do this will it be fixed automatically in the future?
From Russ' first post:

"Within a few weeks, all games stored at RHP will be tested for completeness and correctness. Any failing this test will have their history removed altogether.

So, if a game move is restored incorrectly or has not been restored at all, and the game history does not result in the current known correct game state, the history will be deleted for that game. (Note : the game itself will not be removed, just the history) This process must happen because storing any corrupt game history data will no doubt cause problems in the future if the accuracy cannot be depended on."

I am guessing that the message log will also disappear, as it is linked up with the moves, but I am not sure about this.

W
The Black Swan

Oss

Moves
10 Feb 08

Hi Russ,

Maybe not the right trhead, but who cares!

How can Guys like Maris play unsubscirbes? I pay, not a problem for me, my account!
regards, Wim

L
Stick your hands up

Your bum

Moves
10 Feb 08

Do you mean Maris61? He has tourney wins because he used to subscribe, I'd imagine.

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
11 Feb 08

Originally posted by Nordlys

I am guessing that the message log will also disappear, as it is linked up with the moves, but I am not sure about this.
The message log and game log are inextricably linked.

So yes, removing one, removes the other.

-Russ

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
11 Feb 08

Within a few weeks, all games stored at RHP will be tested for completeness and correctness. Any failing this test will have their history removed altogether.
This is still true, but I will leave it a couple of months if people want more time.

-Russ

N

The sky

Moves
13 Feb 08

This is still true, but I will leave it a couple of months if people want more time.

-Russ
Threads by players who are confused about the corrupted game history keep popping up in various forums. There are probably also quite a few players who haven't noticed there's something wrong with their games, but who won't be happy when they suddenly find out that they have a game without a move history and message log, and it can't be repaired anymore. Isn't this one of the few occasions on which a PM to all players would be advisable?

I
King of slow

Moves
13 Feb 08

Or how about a "Click here to fix this corrupted game" link in the spot where it tells you the game score is hosed?

w
Chocolate Expert

Cocoa Mountains

Moves
14 Feb 08

I have had problems with thematic tournament games; has this happened to anyone else? I think it may have something to do with the fact that normally, the first pre-set moves in a thematic game aren't actually recorded in the history. For example, in the English Thematic II tournament, normally the game history started with black's reply (and to boot, it usually showed the move as white's).

Any suggestions site admins?