1. Standard memberflexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    Chesstralia
    Moves
    17 Aug '06 08:291 edit
    Akizy has entered a nice gentle 3/14 duel tournament ... only two games at a time.

Who will enter and try to get the chance to face the master?

Who is too scared?

August '06 Duel Banded 3/14 1700+
  2. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    17 Aug '06 12:16
    Originally posted by flexmore
    Akizy has entered a nice gentle 3/14 duel tournament ... only two games at a time.

Who will enter and try to get the chance to face the master?

Who is too scared?

[b]August '06 Duel Banded 3/14 1700+
    [/b]
    I am only scared of the big bad wolf.

I think Akizy is scared of me which is why he keeps his rating higher than mine lol

🙂
  3. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    30 Aug '06 18:33
    I entered. While I doubt my ability to beat him I would enjoy the opportunity to play him.
  4. Standard memberHomerJSimpson
    Renouned Grob Killer
    Moves
    31 Aug '06 00:26
    Im already losing badly to Weyerstrass, Ive seen enough bloodshed
  5. Standard memberYuga
    Renaissance
    OnceInALifetime
    Moves
    31 Aug '06 04:171 edit
    Originally posted by HomerJSimpson
    Im already losing badly to Weyerstrass, Ive seen enough bloodshed
    Your play in that game is solid...interesting game. Weyerstrass very rarely plays the Alekhine Defense against high rated opponents on the site.

Game 1108636 His only Alekhine against 2000+ rated opposition here, I believe...(peri = ~2300)

I don't think Weyerstrass is invincible, although he consistently crushes engines. (I recall someone mentioning the Ivar Bern, who relies heavily on Fritz, only had 5 mistakes total on his way to winning the world CC championship, only one mistake bringing him close to losing a game.) Weyerstrass has four losses at gameknot.com. (I don't have access to the PGN's to 3 of those games, but I would be curious to see them.)

Game 1397460 (White's opening position is clearly superior, although if Black had to make a fortress it would be hard to crack.)

Game 685913 White's position deteriorates and White really had to fight for the draw - Originally I thought Black had a winning position in this one (although very difficult to win), now I have my doubts - it's hard to see how Black would have to penetrate White's position... and White's knights are pretty strong (imagine them on d5 and f5...if ever Bxd5...white creates a dangerous passed pawn) - although I think the greatest probability for Black having winning chances would come after:

37...Qf7 - follow-up analysis appreciated.

(Other lines...for example...lines after 37...Bxe4 do not seem to lead to victory... Black needs an open file to penetrate...and it looks a trade of queens would have to be made only after Black has successfully penetrated the White position... to accomplish this Black probably needs to create a battery on an open file with the Queen and Rooks, preferably with the Q behind the Rooks...but I don't see how this can be done...either via the d,e, or f files...perhaps Black could eventually open the b-file via a6 and eventually b5?).
  6. Standard memberHomerJSimpson
    Renouned Grob Killer
    Moves
    31 Aug '06 13:42
    Yeah he very rarely plays Alekhine's defense, he is playing it right now against Jimster.

Game 2288180

Honestly I was hoping he would of played the French Defense because Im much more familiar with that system and Id have a better idea what he was going to do.
    Jean Hebert posted one of Weyerstrass' losses and it didnt look like he took the game very seriously as he played the dutch, which he never uses in an important game.
    http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=38389

When he first lost to SRanderson he was like 200-0 because he got the other 3 losses so quickly I’m suspicious that they were by timeout. He says that he doesn’t like gameknot, because of all the engines, he says that he's much more active at another site, and for the life of me I can’t find it. It looked a lot like RHP, he had something like 6 losses over there, there was about 35 players rated higher than him over there, so the competition must be quite a bit better.
  7. Standard memberYuga
    Renaissance
    OnceInALifetime
    Moves
    31 Aug '06 15:43
    He says that he doesn’t like gameknot, because of all the engines, he says that he's much more active at another site, and for the life of me I can’t find it.
    Well, there are a few other places to play CC - and all probably nicer than gameknot.

Weyerstrass at No. 32 166-31-4 (W-D-L)
    seadevil at No. 36 252-17-5 (W-D-L)

Just from observation: Many of the top CC players seem to be middle-aged men with too much time on their hands (median age ~48). 😀 Many CC players are men with too much time on their hands, 😉 making their moves from university or work.

Anybody else the irony that cyrano is #1?
  8. Standard memberflexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    Chesstralia
    Moves
    01 Sep '06 14:50
    Originally posted by Yuga
    Well, there are a few other places to play CC - and all probably nicer than gameknot.

Weyerstrass at No. 32 166-31-4 (W-D-L)
    seadevil at No. 36 252-17-5 (W-D-L)

Just from observation: Many of the top CC players seem to be middle-aged men with too much time on their hands (median age ~48). 😀 Many CC players are men with too much time on their hands, 😉 making their moves from university or work.

Anybody else the irony that cyrano is #1?
    hmmm ... maybe 48 year old male chess players with lots of spare time and a big chip on their shoulder make extremely good internet chess players?
  9. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    06 Sep '06 15:11
    Yeah he very rarely plays Alekhine's defense, he is playing it right now against Jimster.

Game 2288180

Honestly I was hoping he would of played the French Defense because Im much more familiar with that system and Id have a better idea what he was going to do.
    Jean Hebert posted one of Weyerstrass' losses and it didnt look like he took ...[text shortened]... t 35 players rated higher than him over there, so the competition must be quite a bit better.
    Go to "Chesshere.com"

there is a 'Weyerstrass' that plays there....something like 100 wins 0 loses.

also, GM amir Bargeri(sp?) plays there too.
  10. Standard memberYuga
    Renaissance
    OnceInALifetime
    Moves
    06 Sep '06 21:45
    Weyerstrass has the IM title at ICCF. Chess engines are allowed at ICCF.

He only obtained 2.5/8 in one tournament (given the competition, he performed consistent to his rating), but he obtained 4.5/6 - not losing a game in his other tournament.

Some of the top, most name-recognizable (at least to me) players at ICCF (ranking in parenthesis): Oosterom (1); Andersson, Ulf (2); Neumann, Joachim (6); Penrose, Dr. Jonathan (8), Schmid, Lothar (arbiter Fischer-Spassky games) (9)
  11. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    07 Sep '06 20:34
    im quite scared of him, did you know he is a cage wrestler? fights bears aswel, rumour has it

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree