Sporting Behaviour in Tournaments

Sporting Behaviour in Tournaments

Tournaments

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
03 Feb 06

What would be the point of entering a tournament and then immediately resigning to the players that are ranked higher then you in your group? It spoils the group as the better players get immediate points while the lesser players have to fight for them. It makes it so much harder for those rated directly below the ´resigner´

If many people did this, then it´d make a mockery of the whole tournament system on this site.

Answers on a postcard, or even better in this thread.

The Rude©

who knows?

Moves
03 Feb 06

:'(:'(:'(:'(

Moves
03 Feb 06

Originally posted by Ravello
:'(:'(:'(:'(
Ravello, the perfect person to answer the question. And the answer is?

The Rude©

who knows?

Moves
03 Feb 06

What's your point?
It's not that if I didn't resign against a 1900 rated guy you had more chances to progress,so I ask again:what's the point of this rant?
I resigned to Wonderboy because I wouldn't had fun having my butt kicked by him and I resigned to Arrakis because I didn't like him and didn't wanted to play him.
Not that I would have beat them anyway,nor that I have to justify to anyone my behaviour since it's fully between the rules.

Now you can go on fooling yourself thinking that if I didn't resign you had more chances to progress, pfttt......

Moves
05 Feb 06

What's your point?
It's not that if I didn't resign against a 1900 rated guy you had more chances to progress,so I ask again:[b]what's the point of this rant?

I resigned to Wonderboy because I wouldn't had fun having my butt kicked by him and I resigned to Arrakis because I didn't like him and didn't wanted to play him.
Not that I would have beat them ...[text shortened]... yourself thinking that if I didn't resign you had more chances to progress, pfttt......[/b]
For starters in this case your resignations to the other players doesn´t effect me in the slightest as I´m not actually in your group.

Secondly, if I had been in your group then yes, the chances of me progressing would have been slim, not only because there are two players better than me but they were gifted 6 points each that I´d have had to fight for against you, no hold on one second, my grade is higher than yours at the moment, perhaps you would have resigned to me as well, or is a 14 point difference not high enough to resign?

Anyway, for me to have stood any chance to progress I would have needed to take some points from the top seed and I´d have needed someone else to have done the same.

That´s all beside the point though as my original question just related to the point of entering a tournament to just immediately resign games to higher rated players. It´s just seems a bit pointless, everyone has a different view and they´re entitled to it, good luck in your games.

The Rude©

who knows?

Moves
05 Feb 06

Originally posted by irax
Secondly, if I had been in your group then yes, the chances of me progressing would have been slim, not only because there are two players better than me but they were gifted 6 points each that I´d have had to fight for against you, no hold on one second, my grade is higher than yours at the moment, perhaps you would have resigned to me as well, or is a 14 point difference not high enough to resign?
Listen,you're only fooling yourself IF you think you had more chances to progress IF I played the games (IF you were in my group) against wonderboy and arrakis.
IF I get beaten in 80 moves or in 1 move it doesn't affect your odds (nearly none,just like me) to progress in such a group.
Now,what IF you stop this useless fuss?

R

Moves
06 Feb 06
1 edit

Originally posted by irax
What would be the point of entering a tournament and then immediately resigning to the players that are ranked higher then you in your group? It spoils the group as the better players get immediate points while the lesser players have to fight for them. It makes it so much harder for those rated directly below the ´resigner´

If many people did this, then it´ ...[text shortened]... e whole tournament system on this site.

Answers on a postcard, or even better in this thread.
It's anybody's right to resign any time for any reason in any tournament. Tough.

SPS CLAN

Wales

Moves
06 Feb 06

you never know you may cause an upset

T
Full speed locomotiv

On tracks.

Moves
06 Feb 06

What's your point?
It's not that if I didn't resign against a 1900 rated guy you had more chances to progress,so I ask again:[b]what's the point of this rant?

Not that I would have beat them ...[text shortened]... yourself thinking that if I didn't resign you had more chances to progress, pfttt......[/b]
Now Now Rav........Love one another on Red Hot Pawn.

s

Moves
06 Feb 06

Originally posted by Regicidal
It's anybody's right to resign any time for any reason in any tournament.
Well now, Reg & Rav.... Irax is not debating a player's rights here, he is stressing the aspect of "sporting behaviour", and rightly so I think.

I am sure everyone will acknowledge chances of a low rated player against a high rated player are slim, but in a tourney group - if a low rated player really plays well and manages to achieve a draw or even wins (unlikely as it may be) - the result of a game between 2 players can influence the position of another player.

An early resignation just contributes easy points to the higher rated player, while perhaps that higher rated player might have lost a point or 2 somewhere and might not have won the group that easily if real play had taken place.

SPS CLAN

Wales

Moves
06 Feb 06

i agree u never know in cup games upsets do happen

The Rude©

who knows?

Moves
06 Feb 06

Originally posted by smiffy
i agree u never know in cup games upsets do happen
You already said it,can't you say something new?

SPS CLAN

Wales

Moves
06 Feb 06

Yea i can ravello.
You are a grump sod

The Rude©

who knows?

Moves
06 Feb 06

Grrreat post which fully shows your high intelligence level!

T
Full speed locomotiv

On tracks.

Moves
06 Feb 06

Originally posted by smiffy
Yea i can ravello.
You are a grump sod
How dare you say that?😠